Ebikes and exercise goals ? Really ?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I now purposely cruise above the 15mph cut off limit for assistance
I find myself doing the same, because despite my best efforts to the contrary, my legs have got stronger over the past couple of years of pretend pedalling. The downside is of course that it'll hurt more if I collide with something...

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'd prefer an ebike optimized for 10mph (like a cargo bike), so effectively not helping after 11 or 12mph. With a hub motor that would mean the engine would be more efficient hill climbing. And I would be tempted do more of the work without having to go faster than I wanted, though at least I can turn down the assist level for that.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd prefer an ebike optimized for 10mph (like a cargo bike), so effectively not helping after 11 or 12mph. With a hub motor that would mean the engine would be more efficient hill climbing. And I would be tempted do more of the work without having to go faster than I wanted, though at least I can turn down the assist level for that.
Heinzmann used to do a version of their hub motor like that, maximum assist 11mph and loads of torque.

Ezee too, with a version of their front hub motor Sprint step-through for shorter riders having 20" wheels instead of 26", so assist to 11.5 mph and better climbing.

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
I have Woosh DWG22C kits fitted to our tandem and to a solo bike. As I still want to get some exercise, I tend to use low assistance levels. The DWG22C is probably slightly overkill for a solo as it can provide a lot of assistance. I normally use Level 2 (of 5) on either bike. This suits us very well on the tandem as it corresponds to approximately a 11.5 mph ‘cut-off’ speed for assistance. We normally cruise faster than this, so no assist is being added to our own efforts.

Electric assistance is however a boon against headwinds and hills. I have ridden with a pulse monitor for many years and it was interesting to observe the difference in effort required to get the tandem up a nearby climb of about 1 mile duration after adding the hub motor. Without assist, my pulse would reach about 170bpm (or more) whilst grinding away in the granny gear (24 x 36). With assist, my pulse is closer to 145bpm whilst scooting up the hill in a middle gear (38 x 28). I’m still getting a decent bit of exercise, but not arriving at the top of the climb drenched in sweat and requiring an oxygen mask!

I converted to e-assist to help combat the effects of ageing and some health issues. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that having access to an e-bike has significantly increased the amount of cycling which I have been able to do. I agree that in most cases e-bikes won’t increase fitness levels to the same extent as conventional cycling, but in my case it is very much better than sitting at home.

I definitely use my bikes more than I would have without e-assist and I tend to go faster and for greater distances than would otherwise be possible. There is also the ‘feel good’ effect of just getting out on the bike, regardless of whether this provides any physical benefits.

I would love to still ride my Titanium race bike, but I’m just not bendy enough for that any more!

• Agree
Reactions: georgehenry

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A 201rpm hub in a 20" rim would give 11 - 12mph or guess one can simply apply with some lcds a speed adjustment.
A code 16 bafang in a 26/700c rim would likely be the best option but one expects they are quite rare to find.

Code 13 being 201rpm a 16 is 160rpm.

In the real world if all coded hubs were freely available one only has to decide on the rim size to match a suitable wound hub. However as we know this isn't the case so often a 201rpm is the most likely lowest rpm hub will find so one has to opt for a 20" rim if only wanting a low max speed.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc