Electric bike choices?

newbbike

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2010
Hi !

I am new to the forum and already asking questions, i'm all take take take!.....

I purchased an electric bike about a year ago and have regretted it ever since! The guy in the shop was a good salesman and I was a gullable customer out for an impulse purchase. The main problem I had with it was the power of the thing up hills and the lack of decent speed at range, although it had a range of 25 miles it only did 3 of those at a decent speed! Then the rusting started and the wobbly bits and when I needed new brakes the shop had gone.......

Anyway, a year on and quite a bit of research later I think I know what I am looking for, I have founf a seller on eBay which sells the type of bike I want and went to have a look at their shop at the weekend to try one. Compared to the one I had it has much more power, the refinements are all there and most importantly the battery system seems to be top notch, the one i had was lead acid big and heavy. A friend of mine has a Li-ion one and this one is a LifePo4 which the guy assures me is better still and shouldn't give me a low power over distance problem like my previous junk heap.

I would love any input on what you guys as electic bike riders feel about it and if you have any suggestions as to what I should be asking because i'm going again next weekend to quiz a bit more!

it's this one....

EverEco - Electric battery bicycle scooter BNIB EC051Al on eBay (end time 09-Oct-10 14:03:08 BST)

and there is a possibility the missus wants this one for her commute, which I didn't ask about and she 'decided' upon after we had already been.

ECF10 Electric folding bicycle lightweight li-ion batt on eBay (end time 08-Oct-10 15:30:35 BST)

dan

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2009
Hi !

I am new to the forum and already asking questions, i'm all take take take!.....

I purchased an electric bike about a year ago and have regretted it ever since! The guy in the shop was a good salesman and I was a gullable customer out for an impulse purchase. The main problem I had with it was the power of the thing up hills and the lack of decent speed at range, although it had a range of 25 miles it only did 3 of those at a decent speed! Then the rusting started and the wobbly bits and when I needed new brakes the shop had gone.......

Anyway, a year on and quite a bit of research later I think I know what I am looking for, I have founf a seller on eBay which sells the type of bike I want and went to have a look at their shop at the weekend to try one. Compared to the one I had it has much more power, the refinements are all there and most importantly the battery system seems to be top notch, the one i had was lead acid big and heavy. A friend of mine has a Li-ion one and this one is a LifePo4 which the guy assures me is better still and shouldn't give me a low power over distance problem like my previous junk heap.

I would love any input on what you guys as electic bike riders feel about it and if you have any suggestions as to what I should be asking because i'm going again next weekend to quiz a bit more!

it's this one....

EverEco - Electric battery bicycle scooter BNIB EC051Al on eBay (end time 09-Oct-10 14:03:08 BST)

and there is a possibility the missus wants this one for her commute, which I didn't ask about and she 'decided' upon after we had already been.

ECF10 Electric folding bicycle lightweight li-ion batt on eBay (end time 08-Oct-10 15:30:35 BST)

0ne point,

the sellers feed back is only 12 over the last 12 months and none for electric bikes...ask him for the name of other buyers so you can check what they think....also a bike with a 48 volt lipo4 battery for £649.00 seems to good to be true

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Well if they are the best bikes you can come up with:confused:

Not really bikes anyway IMO. Just take some time and read through this forum and get more of an idea what makes up a decent e bike? before you waste your money for a second time.

newbbike

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2010
This was exactly my thought re: the feedback which always makes me nervous! Which is why I went to have a look in person and there is a showroom. One reason for the feedback I can think of is that they are actually a lower price in the showroom!! The LifePo4 thing checks out though and the battery was shown to be 48v and very light in comparison to my older one.

While I was there a woman appeared to have her brakes adjusted and overhearing the conversation she was very pleased with it, although it seemed like a slight variation in design from the ones on sale with the buttons being in a different position.

Re the folding bike, I have no experience of them at all, what should I be looking for there? I don't want to buy the missus something that she isn't going to get use out of! but I think I can perhaps haggle a bit if i'm buying 2 from the same place. On the video they have it looks easy to fold etc, are there any joints or extra wearable parts on a fold up bike I should be thinking about?

cheers

newbbike

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2010
Thanks for the input eddieo......

Not looking for a "bicycle" for my purposes as i'm looking for a comfortable alternative transport and don't really get on with little seats if you know what i mean! lol I liked this style because of its likeness to a moped and it was very comfortable to ride. Any suggestions of alternatives to this one that has a similar style?

newbbike

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2010
Hi Flecc,

Well, this forum is alive with people! Usually when I join a forum (mainly for computer issues) it takes ages for a response, it is a pleasure to find a forum with so much activity!

During my limited research I have figured out that there are a lot of rubbish chinese imports (one of which I purchased!!) this bike however is a lot more powerful than the one I had, there are markings on the motor for 250W and the bike with the battery weighs 39.4Kg, there is a manufacturers plate specifying everything and the speed tops out at 15mph, I had a rough pedal around of this bike and it also has pedal assist which cuts out at 15mph. Overall I was very impressed with it and it seemed to be in a league of its own compared to others of the same type. I tried another one a bit more local to me on the same day and the quality of it and the ride was just pants.... I think I may need a longer test ride to check it out more indepth, but even as someone who has first hand experience of the cheap nasty and quite illegal bikes I feel this ones different, I will report back once I have had a tougher test though!

What's with the fold up one? again, haven't tried it so some advice on what to be looking for?

newbbike

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2010
Hi eddieo,

No problem! But this is an ebike? by definition. and apologies for the choice of title, lol

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sounds like it's set up ok to appear legal in every respect then, but if it performs as you say I doubt if it really is with regard to power rating.

That doesn't normally cause a problem with e-bikes, but given the scooter appearance of this one a stop by traffic police spotting an absence of number plate is much more likely.

That's when the problems begin, just saying the ebay seller said it's legal won't cut it. For traders to sell e-bikes into the UK or any EU market each model they sell has to be type approved at the cost of several thousands of pounds per model. Without that type approval an e-bike is illegal regardless of whether it complies or not, and it can be confiscated and crushed under existing legislation if illegal.

The seller may have obtained type approval, but I'd like to see some proof of that before buying through ebay.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I get a really awful green background with this link. You can use this instead:

Anyone near Grimsby (Lincolnshire) to arrange a test ? I bet it is heavy and slow...better to install a nice comfy saddle on a regular e-bicycle, I think.

"Contact : (01472) 604376 should you have any questions or would like to arrange a test "

---
Ever Furniture
459, Grimsby Road
Cleethorpes
North East Lincolnshire
DN35 8AJ

By Phone: (01472) 604376
By Fax: (01472) 268102
enquiries@everfurniture.com
----

Furniture and lighting, made from your own ideas

Ever Furniture 459, Grimsby Road Cleethorpes North East Lincolnshire DN35 8AJ - Google Maps

Is this lady a sales executive ? ;)

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

This is in fact an electrified Mobiky Genius (French design, by the way), which is originally called the "Shrinker" from Golden Motors (a well-known supplier of geared and direct electric hub motors, amongst other e-machines).

The french firm is actually extending its range of bikes (12" and 16"), and they have the electric option for both sizes. I think they are currently trying to setup a network of retailers in France and Germany. They will be at the Cycle Show in London (7-10 October 2010).

Golden Motor D.I.Y Kits

Electric Bikes, ebike, battery powered bike, hub motor, bike conversion kit, electric bike motor, cruz2007

YouTube - Golden Motor 200W Shrinker Bike / Foldable Electric Bike

MOBIKY

CYCLE CENTRIC|Mobiky Genius folding bike

Last edited:

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Thats not too different from my bike. I wonder how its 48v 8ah Lifepo4 battery would compare to my Lithium polymer 36v 10ah.

I just got back from a short journey into town and a police car was behind me, then alongside, then it was ahead of me. When it got stuck behind a bus I overtook the lot of them and never saw them again. On the way back overtook 8 cyclists, 8 cars, a van and a bus over Magdalen Bridge. I'm sure my bike exceeds 15mph on a full charge but the police only stopped me once for sneaking through a red light a few months ago, though it changed to red as I passed it.

I'd be interested what the EverEco is like, as its quite a bit cheaper than mine, looks like it has a side indicator, and has a lockable glovebox whereas mine just has a tray. Mine has an alarm too, works even if the battery is out, it goes off if someone tries to push it down the road. Just hope the indicators don't have that annoying bleeper installed.

I've seen a cheap yellow 24 volt scooter about, and I can overtake it and get away in seconds. Not sure how the 8ah battery on the EverEco will cope on hills either!

fishzx7r

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Colchester, UK
Thats not too different from my bike. I wonder how its 48v 8ah Lifepo4 battery would compare to my Lithium polymer 36v 10ah.

I just got back from a short journey into town and a police car was behind me, then alongside, then it was ahead of me. When it got stuck behind a bus I overtook the lot of them and never saw them again. On the way back overtook 8 cyclists, 8 cars, a van and a bus over Magdalen Bridge. I'm sure my bike exceeds 15mph on a full charge but the police only stopped me once for sneaking through a red light a few months ago, though it changed to red as I passed it.

I'd be interested what the EverEco is like, as its quite a bit cheaper than mine, looks like it has a side indicator, and has a lockable glovebox whereas mine just has a tray. Mine has an alarm too, works even if the battery is out, it goes off if someone tries to push it down the road. Just hope the indicators don't have that annoying bleeper installed.

I've seen a cheap yellow 24 volt scooter about, and I can overtake it and get away in seconds. Not sure how the 8ah battery on the EverEco will cope on hills either!
I am interested in one of these bike's could you post a pic of yours and a little more info cheers mate!

Rob

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Thanks for the input eddieo......

Not looking for a "bicycle" for my purposes as i'm looking for a comfortable alternative transport and don't really get on with little seats if you know what i mean! lol I liked this style because of its likeness to a moped and it was very comfortable to ride. Any suggestions of alternatives to this one that has a similar style?
You seem to be in pursuit of all the disadvantages of a moped combined with all the disadvantages of an ebike.

From what you say, something which runs on petrol would be your best option.

newbbike

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2010
I see now where the design has come from for the folding one! I went and had a look on the mobiki website, then phone a couple of bike shops which were supposed to stock it and they all said the same thing...rubbish as compared to other folding bikes like the brompton. But none had heard of an electric one, so this weekend, followed by the missus that'll be getting tested too!

re the mopedy one....something petrol engined will never suit me as I just can't stand the noise, the smell, the expense etc etc Like I said, the one i had before would have been great for me if it wasn't so pants in the build quality whereas this one seems to be much better, once i've had another good look at it i'll know more.

as for the sales executive.....i've joined their facebook page Ever Eco | Facebook and there's more pictures of said sales executive there lol.... joking aside, this company seem to have put more of an effort in for their marketing material than most that appear on eBay and also have an actual shop, albeit mainly furniture, but they said a new premises is opening next year just for the bikes. Most sellers i've come across on eBay and the like are either doing it for a hobby, are "dropshippers" for some foreign company or have a dodgy warehouse or worse still NO address haha. It certainly gives me a bit more confidence, especially being able to try it out first, i do have to travel a bit to get there, but i want to be sure 1st

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although I can't say much for your choice of vehicle Newbbike, there's no question that you are going about the purchase in the right way, doing a better job of it than many true e-bike buyers.

Considering the choices, ascertaining chosen seller's status and premises, trying before buying to ensure suitability are what far too few do.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
re the mopedy one....something petrol engined will never suit me as I just can't stand the noise, the smell, the expense etc etc 1st

Some of the modern mopeds are quiet and they don't smell too bad either. If the cost puts you off, just wait until the battery on the ebike is knackered. Which it will be, in less time than you were anticipating!

newbbike

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2010
Thanks! I think once bitten, twice shy! lol.....

Well, it seems the LifePo4 battery should outlast any other type currently on the market with more full cycles and better discharge, so that side of things is of no great concern. I would be concerned, well, not concerned but absolutely not considering buying if it were lead acid or Li-ion.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
I am interested in one of these bike's could you post a pic of yours and a little more info cheers mate!

Rob

This is a pic I just found on the net. I have my own but have nowhere to put them at the moment.

Specs:
36v Lithium Battery
Charge time: 4-6 hours (never takes more than 4:45 to charge fully from flat)
Speed: 15mph (seems more like 20!)
Torque: 8Nm (can carry a max weight of over 100kg and can easily take a passenger, although not on steep hills)
Motor: Rear hub 250w brushless
Useless front headlight, front and rear indicators with bleepers, a quiet horn, rear light, no brake light! There are mirrors though. Also an alarm that goes off if the bike is moved. My biggest issue is no speedometer.
35-40kg
Range: 25-29 miles (I got given a dodgy battery that can only do 15 miles)

Apart from some battery problems, the bike is great as my only transport. I would recommend them over a bicycle type as they are much more comfortable, and offer slightly more protection (although not much, seen the aftermath of two bike crashes today, and a serious motorbike collision the other week). but the pedals are only there to help the motor on starting off and on hills. Forget trying to pedal alone on anything other than level ground! I overtook a Powacycle Salisbury today, although the battery had keys in I don't think it was working, my bike is ridiculously quick!