Electric bike choices?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know how long bikes like yours will be around under our law Synthman, for the simple reason they aren't 250 watt machines. They are being declared as that to make them appear legal here, but they will always be at risk of detection at some future time.

These are common on the Chinese e-bike market where they don't use the sort of normal-bike looking types, and they are usually around 700 watts rating. One of our members who visits China regularly has one of these over there for his use and it's 680 watts.

That's why the speed, they are indeed easily capable of 20 mph and also climb well with little pedal help, a combination that is completely impossible with a true 250 watt rating even on a much lighter e-bike, such as that Powacycle you passed.

So best you keep your fingers crossed that there's never a crackdown on standards, since that would wipe these off the UK roads.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
I very much doubt the motor on mine is higher than 350w, however there are a couple of hills that really test my bike, bring it down to walking speed unless the pedals are used. Eventually I will find out the true power, but I have noticed it is ridiculously fast after a full charge for the first 5-6 miles. After that it is a lot slower, the combination of incline and wind speed can really slow it down.

As I mentioned a while ago, I'm unhappy at how my dealer has treated me, and the problems are still unresolved. Selling me an illegal bike on top of everything else makes me sick. The amount of police I encounter is ridiculous, but they don't see an issue with my bike, except when they're stuck behind me!

After my experiences, I will never have another electric bike again, I'm gonna go straight for the Vespa. I think the new laws are ridiculous, especially the no throttle. If I had to start this heavy bike off with pedelec wobbling around everywhere in traffic while I get it moving, I'd just bin the bike immediately. One thing is certain though, the bike will not last another 2 years. Not as if my dealer will reply if I ever enquire about spare parts. I want to name and shame them but its not my style to do it on a public forum.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Also, one night a couple of Policemen complimented me on my bike asked me if I'd been drinking, then asked me for a go. One of them sat on the bike, twisted the throttle fully, moved forward 6 inches, then got off. Looking back on that, were they trying to test the power? I done experiments myself. With my feet down firmly on the ground, twist the throttle fully and the bike doesn't move. I can stop 400w hammer drill motors with my bare hands. If it were a 700w motor I doubt I would be able to stop it.

newbbike

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2010
Just purchased one of the moped looking bikes and the foldaway from this company first thing this morning after testing it again and having a good old prod around!

I found that the build quality is very good for both types, the moped style bike is actually sold with no throttle attached and a "conversion kit" is given free with the bike which is just 2 connecting wires. I have ridden it to almost complete exhaustion which was a 22mile trip by my estimation and it is on charge again now. I found that the power output was very constant (which is what I expected from a LifePo4) rather than getting slower and slower from the start it was very pepped up all the way. The cruise control is a good feature too, means I can have less of a grip on the handles (old codger!) Overall I am very pleased with my purchase and although the naysayers will probably comment that they will see how I feel in a few weeks or months, I am confident that this bike will stand the test of time, I have had a long working life in engineering and think I can spot a dud fairly easily knowing all the shortcuts and bodges in the book!

The folding bike....well not really tried it, because it's for the wife! I might have to sneak it out later! but it also looks to be of a good quality....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It sounds as though it suits you well. With many hundreds of thousands of this kind of scooter-bike made and
sold in China for around a decade, it could well be more reliable than the bicycle type of e-bikes we mostly use
that are only sold in the West in much smaller numbers.

The only question mark for the future is the battery, since the Chinese mainly use SLA (lead-acid) batteries on
this kind of bike in their home market.

newbbike

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2010
lol, point taken. I think usually the thought is that Chinese manufacturers are good and finding corners to cut that have already been cut, but with more and more large western corps investing in China and the training/quality control becoming much better I think those days are dying out as people demand a better product......I got a little paranoid about the battery (since it is quite a major compnent!) voltage checks out and i've opened up the black box that houses the batteries and they are indeed (well labelled anyway) LifePo4, they are so lightweight compared to my older bike. It seems like an amazing advance in technology to have these things so light and powerful in comaprison to the old SLA battery.

Only time will tell I suppose, but so far so good and i've been out and about in the sunshine all day with it.

newbbike

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2010
Just a quick update on my bike, I wouldn't swap this thing for any other type, it suits me perfectly and I cannot believe the difference between this and my last bike. I now use this as my main mode of transport to and from work, every day, 6am when it's dark and 3pm home, I find I have to charge the bike every 3 days and my work is about 3 miles away from home. I am well impressed with the battery system and overall the bike.....haven't had any problems so far except 1 puncture :). Not everyones cup o tea I'm sure but it certainly is mine.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Its a moped It looks like a moped it rides like a moped it is a moped

Why don't you take it have it tested about £80 and insure it for about £100 year that's cheap if its stolen or some car drive hits you

wear a crash helmet you might live longer road tax is free

If you are unlucky the police will make a example off you

we all love high powered Bicycles It looks like a bike rides like a bike

BUT this is taking the P--S out Of the LAW

Frank

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi I am only telling it as it is I don't want other member on this forum listening to you and buying one

It is still a free country and what you do

is up to you

NO PERSONNEL ATTACK ON YOU WAS MEANT

Frank

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
Frank does have a point though!
This scooter is no pedal cycle, it has pedals but so did the first 49cc scooters that arrived here, the kids even call them 'Peds'
but you still had to have them registered, MOT at 3 years old, insurance and wear an helmet.
This is probably illegal on so many counts!
I hope you are never in an accident because if you do the other party will have the police there instantly, they are never going to believe that your 'bike' does not need a registration or that you do not need insurance.
It looks fine for its purpose, good quality and well made but it's trying to fit in a slot in which it does not belong:(

Last edited:

newbbike

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2010
Thanks for the input guys, point taken.... I did however talk to a friend of a friend that works in our local vosa testing centre and he gave it the once over and said it didn't need a moped or low powered moped test due to it having a low powered otor, pedelec system, correct weight, etc etc and was basically just a bike frame clad in plastic! I have also attracted the attention of the traffic police on 2 occasions since buying it, mainly due to the fact that the first time I had not purchased a helmet and they initially thought I was on a moped with no helmet and the 2nd time was me cutting through busy traffic past a traffic car. On both occasions they gave it the once over and did some checking then we had a chat and they went away happy :-/

I take on board everything that is said about this style of bike but I am happy given my experience with the law and vosa, that it is ok. Maybe I will be proven wrong in the future, maybe not, but for now I have had no problems and am happy with my purchase which gets me to work and back every day without costing me the earth.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 4366

If the bike has a 250w or less motor, doesn't assist at more than 15mph, has pedals, the motor starts when the pedals start and stops when the pedals stop. weighs less than 40kg and has brake cut-off switches, it's as legal as most peoples bikes on this forum even if it looks like a moped. There's no law about how the bike has to look. Enjoy your bike, Newbike, and don't worry - They're probably just jealous!

Last edited by a moderator:

newbbike

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2010
Check, check, check and check...the guy from visa giving it an unofficial once over said as much, a bicycle with a motor, some plastic and a comfy seat! And most importantly, I am enjoying it thanks d8veh suit me down to the ground I ended up getting the misses a fold up one from the same place but she still insists travelling by car, the wind and rain messes up her hair apparently....

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Thanks for the input guys, point taken.... I did however talk to a friend of a friend that works in our local vosa testing centre and he gave it the once over and said it didn't need a moped or low powered moped test due to it having a low powered otor, pedelec system, correct weight, etc etc and was basically just a bike frame clad in plastic! I have also attracted the attention of the traffic police on 2 occasions since buying it, mainly due to the fact that the first time I had not purchased a helmet and they initially thought I was on a moped with no helmet
That's really the problem isn't it? Perhaps you need an official looking piece of paper that you can show to the Police that stop you, that says it's an electric bicycle and not a 50cc moped. But I suspect you will draw hassle from Police who are awake. Even if you wear a motorcycle style helmet, they'll be wondering why you have no license plate.

Last edited:

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Scooter Style E Bike

Well done newbike for taking the plunge in purchasing that very nice machine .You can be the test pilot for the Forum and I look forward to you reporting on your experiences .I must say it looks beautifully finished .
Members must be referring to the fast Moped with pedals in the 70`s that pushed the boundaries too far by doing 60 mph. The pedals were mainly ornaments , this was the Yamaha FS IE , affectionately referred to as the Fizzie . It was legal but prompted changes in the Law .
You would think at a time of high petrol prices and the push for Electric Transport that the Powers that be would be enthusiastic about such machines . These could be the breakthrough that is needed to get more people on E Bikes . I haven`t seen the price of it mentioned .

newbbike

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2010
I kind of expected some questions from the police as at first glance it does look like a moped with no licence plate, I am left alone now though having come across a few police cars, traffic wardens (I love parking near traffic wardens) and various others, I think word has got about, also I saw another one of these with the same company name that I bought this one from in my area a couple of weeks ago.....

I think the listed price at the time was £649 and I knocked him down to £599 with mirrors and a box included, I figure I have pretty much saved that already in fuel, tax, insurance, mot and servicing....I plan to buy another charger so that I can leave one at work.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Bargain Scoooter

That`s a bargain at that price and a very cheap way of getting to work . I have two petrol Scooters and a Motorcycle as well as cycles and an Ebike which I bought mainly for exercise ( for my Wife ) , but I am retired so it is purely for pleasure . Hope you manage to shake off the Police , judging by the number that have bothered you , you seem over-run with them , no wonder the Home Secretary is trying to cull them !I live in a South Wales Town where you never see any in the course of a day . Perhaps they do what Hedgehogs do and mainly come out at night !
My Electric Batribike Folder is up to £899 now and I paid £649 for the lower 8Ah Model in September , so the price for your machine was excellent .
Perhaps the Importer ought to let the Police have one on loan to catch the criminals around your way . If the Police ride them you would be completely in the clear and they wouldn`t trouble you any more !