electric bike conversion kit on ebay

jayuk

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2010
hi all

I have been searching the forum for a few weeks now trying to decide which route to take converting my existing mountain bike over to hub powered. I have seen a kit on ebay which allows me to keep my front disc brake, it seems not a lot of kits support the disc brake. It does mention that it uses the 8fun brushless hub, any help or feedback would be very much appreciated. I am looking to travel approx 4 miles to & from work a day.
The ebay item number is 320440679439
Thanks
Jason

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
Looks like a decent kit for the price, assuming the battery is OK. I bought a cheap folding bike (not electric) from them and was pleased with the quality.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Welcome to the forum....The kit looks very similar if not the same as the Alien kit. The Alien comes in at £100 more but you get a 12month guarantee and good back up, also there's a few forum members who've fitted the Alien and could help if needed...not sure how sunlovabike stack up in the support stakes , it only has a 6month guarantee but taken at face value it looks OK to me...

jayuk

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2010
thanks for the replys. I was hoping to keep the disc brake hence tne interest in this kit, although i did notice the 6 month warranty. One kit was purchased in december but no feedback has been left as yet.

jayuk

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2010
thanks for the replys. I was hoping to keep the disc brake hence tne interest in this kit, although i did notice the 6 month warranty. One kit was purchased in december but no feedback has been left as yet.

JohnD

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2010
What does 'no hall' mean?

any clue what this means?

New technique No Hall Motor and Controller,

:confused:

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
im not sure what that means either.
OK. 3 wires go from the speed controller to the motor. These provides the power. Usually there are sensors in the motor which tell the controller the current position of the motor. 5 wires are needed for this.

An alternative approach is to use the same 3 wires for position information, but this only works once the motor starts turning. Therefore, this method can lead to jumpy starts.

jayuk

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2010
thanks john
Would that make this kit no longer a good first choice? Although i would probably pedal from a standstill before using the motor anyway. The alien kits do look good just in 2 minds about losing tge front disc brake and replacing with a caliper type.

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
thanks john
Would that make this kit no longer a good first choice? Although i would probably pedal from a standstill before using the motor anyway. The alien kits do look good just in 2 minds about losing tge front disc brake and replacing with a caliper type.
It's hard to say without trying it out. A 3 wire system means there is less to go wrong. The Cytronex/Tongxin are 3 wire too.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i would probably pedal from a standstill before using the motor anyway.
If you are going to pedal away from a standstill momentarily before engaging power, the three wire system is just as good, the power then kicking in quite smoothly once rolling.

I can't speak of the Sunlova kit quality, but the motor pedigree is good.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
The three wire system works well with the latest controllers, you hear rather than feel the little stutter as the motor kicks in...its not a problem and certainly fine for throttle only starts. Don't be put off. ;)

jayuk

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2010
i have now been offered an alien kit 26" 36v complete which is approx 9 months old for £250 although it is the brush hub version but has the controller to tweak the overall speed :D

JohnD

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2010
I have made the leap

I went for one of these kits - seems to be what I'm looking for, uk based seller and I'm covered by paypal protection.
Only niggle is the 15mph max but I'm sure that I can work on that with the assistance of some of you:D

Can't wait for tuesday now.

jayuk

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2010
nice one john, let me know what you think of the kit when you recieve & fit it!
Still unsure about going with the 2nd hand alien kit with brush hub for 250 quid or go for sunlova kit ??

jayuk

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2010
nice one john, let me know what you think of the kit when you recieve & fit it!
Still unsure about going with the 2nd hand alien kit with brush hub for 250 quid or go for sunlova kit ??

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
The condition of the battery would be my concern, the sunlova kit is only £100 more with a (hopefully) brand new one....

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I sold a 6 week old 36v * 26" Alien kit on here for £225 end of last year. That said I got it when they were only £399.

EDIT maybe it was £250. God I am getting old and forgetful sigh.....

DOUBLE EDIT I just checked it was actually £270 incl battery last Oct.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

GROWLER

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 7, 2009
Hi
It is my kit you are looking at on ebay.NRGs comment about the battery is a valid one which is why I didnt offer the battery up for sale.This battery is actually only new from october as the original failed due to a bad cell so was replaced by alien . I tested it when new and it delivered just over 8.5ah(not the claimed 10 ah) and I tested it again last week. It still has 8.5ah.I hope this helps:)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Growler just checked it. The description says brushed ?

Is it or is it brushless ?

Ps seems good value for that price.

Regards

Jerry