Electric Bike Security

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Just looking into alarms again, heres some nice examples of whats available...

JNE Marketing for Personal Alarms

Bicycle Alarm | Bicycle Lock | Cycling accessories | Bicycle Security | Bicycle Theft Accessory | Bicycle Accessories

Bike Alarm - Mini Alarms

Bicycle Alarms - Bike Guard

Bicycle Cable Alarm | Bicycle Security

Giftshine Electronics - Safety & Security Product Manufacturer in China

Siren Alarm Padlock - Locks - 14.99 GBP - Free P & P to UK & Ireland, Cheap International Rates. Next day delivery from Europes Largest Online Bikeshop.

Does anyone have any of these ones? What can people recommend from this selection?

I am currently looking at adding an alarm, an Axa SL7 plus cable, and either a Ulock of some for of folding solid lock as a mobile deterent. I am also considering changing the bolts on the seat for a security bolt meaning that the theives will have to have a special tools to undo it.

Comments please?

Thanks

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have the second one in your list John. The plastic mounting brackets are very flimsy so I mounted the alarm directly with self tappers into the bike tubing. The alarm works well and has sophisticated car type settings, but it needs to be mounted high on the bike for disturbance to trigger it. I have it on the handlebar stem.

The snag is that the PP3 batteries only last three month in good weather and much less in cold weather, and battery replacement is by removing four tiny self tappers that thread into the plastic body. Very fiddly and not one for the clumsy or impatient.

Thanks for the effort you've put into finding all these.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I am thinking of buying an AXA Basta Defender ring lock with the extension cable. Will this fit onto my Pro-Connect out of the box? The bike has what I think are mounting lugs on the rear down tubes close to the V brake mounts. i assume the ring lock just bolts into these lugs?

I thought I would use the ring lock and cable to tie the saddle, front wheel, frame and rear wheel together and then use something like a Kryptonite New York lock to anchor the lot to a fixed object.

Thanks

Tom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Someone has previously posted that these locks fit straight onto the existing holes on the Pro Connect Tom.

The_Bike_Whisperer

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2008
Chaperone Alarm: Review

Hi,

I fitted a Chaperone Alarm to my Wisper 905Se and found the performance excellent. It is sensitive enough to detect the bike being jarred or moved, even to the extent of inserting the alarm key or placing an item on the luggage carrier. The unit also has a sensitivity adjustment inside the battery case, but mine was left as set in the factory and this is fine.

The alarm is very loud and will chirp if initially triggered, with full 140db if triggered several times.

Fitted the device on the handlebar stem with a little strip of extra non-slip rubber under the clamp, very easy.

Cost, at £15-00 this could be the best investment you make for detering theft.

10/10 for Cost and Performance.

John

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Sounds very interesting John. Ive ordered one. Can you tell me, does it look robust enough should someone try to attack it?

John

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi,

I fitted a Chaperone Alarm to my Wisper 905Se and found the performance excellent. It is sensitive enough to detect the bike being jarred or moved, even to the extent of inserting the alarm key or placing an item on the luggage carrier. The unit also has a sensitivity adjustment inside the battery case, but mine was left as set in the factory and this is fine.

The alarm is very loud and will chirp if initially triggered, with full 140db if triggered several times.

Fitted the device on the handlebar stem with a little strip of extra non-slip rubber under the clamp, very easy.

Cost, at £15-00 this could be the best investment you make for detering theft.

10/10 for Cost and Performance.

John
Hi,
I find that its better to place the bracket inside the loop of a D-Lock and use the additional ring to loop another cable through it.
The D-Lock and the cable will tend to be attacked and create alot of movement into the Chaperone alarm and trigger it better.
Also bracketing the alarm to the bike itself will need full removal again to change the battery.

Hope this helps.
Bob.

sopht

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2008
I bought an alarm a long time ago and ended up never using it because when I park up, the bike very often gets moved anyway - either nudged into on railings, or more often moved when sharing a sheffield stand.

Am I missing something?

Kemman85

Just Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Its a shame with all the electronics incorporated into modern electric bikes, the manufacturers couldn't provide us some security assistance through alarms, codes, immobilisers, electronically coded battery/bike/charger combinations such that the bike was useless without unlocking codes which could only be got from the manufacturer. Also gps tracker etc. Most of this technology is developed enough and could be incorporated quite easily into the bike's "firmware" without too much cost.

I've considered adding to my lock security with a sticker on the battery saying, "this bike, if stolen, is useless without its specific battery charger."

As an aside, are spare chargers easily available or would questions be asked?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unfortunately spare chargers are easily available, both original and generic, so not a deterrent.

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
I bought an alarm a long time ago and ended up never using it because when I park up, the bike very often gets moved anyway - either nudged into on railings, or more often moved when sharing a sheffield stand.

Am I missing something?
Well, if you're a person who can't always be bothered to lock up the bike for every short errand where you're in farily close proximity, but don't want to keep your eye on it every single moment, a motion alarm does give some piece of mind in those instances.

I guess that's one other possible use for it, even if it won't serve you in a rack where it might be getting bumped all the time. Also, of course, over here, just because there is a designated place among other bikes, I generally could choose an area where it won't get bumped. I've only used motion alarms on a scooters though, not my bicycle.

The_Bike_Whisperer

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2008
Chaperone Alarm: JohnInStockie

Hi John,

You asked how robust is the Chaperone alarm?

The plastic case would not stand up to much physical abuse and I am sure that a few blows with a heavy object would break it. I believe this is the same with many bike alarms, It would activate however if the bike is moved even slightly and the first blow was not fatal, this detering theft. It may also make a thief think twice about picking your bike and move on to another..

I still feel that for £15-00 it is a great deterent.

John

sopht

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2008
Well, if you're a person who can't always be bothered to lock up the bike for every short errand where you're in farily close proximity, but don't want to keep your eye on it every single moment, a motion alarm does give
Unlocked bikes last about two secs around here! I popped in for a prescription a wee while ago and the chemist looked over my shoulder saying "isn't that your bike...." We watched as the guy threw it down again as he realised it was locked (frame lock) and ran off, the chemist shaking her head and saying "disappointing" :D Not the word that was going through my head!

seeker

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2008
The AXA Basta Defender ring lock looks like a good solution for nipping quickly into shops.

Does anyone know if one of these would fit onto a Wisper 905SE? Would I need the additional mounting bracket?

Regards,

Elephants
Hi Elephants,

I bought the same model ring lock for mine and it just about fits in under the sports mudguard. You will need the mounting kit though to attach it to the rear brake mounts. It adds a bit of weight to the bike, but it's a necessary evil I feel. You can also get an option chain that lock into a special slot for added security

regards,

seeker

Griswold

Pedelecer
May 17, 2007
Almax Lock

Almax Security Chains Limited
Hello,

Received my 0.7m chain today - £99 - check out the site
Intersting to see how many chains are easily bolt croppable.
The one I bought seems to be impervious!
Company very friendly - gave me free courier delivery too!
Should protect my new Wisper 905se!
Regards
Griswold

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Almax Security Chains Limited
Hello,

Received my 0.7m chain today - £99 - check out the site
Intersting to see how many chains are easily bolt croppable.
The one I bought seems to be impervious!
Company very friendly - gave me free courier delivery too!
Should protect my new Wisper 905se!
Regards
Griswold
Very interesting .... anyone know more?