Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I live in London and you see these on occasion....funny likle things

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
I have driven the G Wiz.

Here is the report I did on it at the time:

Turn down a rather grubby side street in Southall and you will find the cleanest car in the UK.

Imported from India by the newly formed GoinGreen Company the diminutive little electric city car never fails to produce an amused smile from other drivers.

But the last laugh is always yours.

Whilst they pay nearly £5 a gallon for their fuel, you are paying one penny a mile for yours. You can sail in and out of the congestion charge zone of London without paying anything in a vehicle for which you pay no tax. And any parking meter within the City of London or the City of Westminster is free.

You can even nominate a specific car park at which you can stay for a year at a cost of £100. Put this alongside £6,000 for an annual Soho car park permit and it is easy to see why your quiet chuckle to yourself is the most rewarding.

Already over 200 of these little electric cars are running around London driven by highly satisfied customers who are fed up with being taken to the cleaners by just about every anti-motoring movement in the country. By switching to something which is environmentally friendly – there are no emissions – you not only avoid tax but gain the lowest insurance group – one.

Until now electric cars have been something of a non-starter. Costs have been prohibitively high, speed too low, acceleration sluggish and the range limited.

Selling at around £7,000 the G-Wiz accelerates briskly to its maximum of around 40mph and will give you a range of 40 miles before it needs recharging. In India it is known as the Reva and already around 900 have been sold. It looks a little as though it has been squeezed between two trucks and hit in the back by a bus, but it really does do the job it was designed to do.

Going Green imported its first 16 cars in 2003 and gained its first customer in January of 2004. Joe Byers, sales manager, chief executive, mainspring and moving spirit, told me that it just had to be a shoestring operation with only seven employees. The only advertising they can afford to do is to run a website. Every other sale has come from word of mouth.

And business is brisk and gaining momentum as more and more people ask “What on earth is that?” and like the answers they are getting.

I took the G-Wiz out onto the crowded streets of Southall and rapidly discovered the car could be threaded through gaps denied to other vehicles. It moves smartly and in no way holds up other traffic. It has no gears and only two pedals. A large switch to the right of the steering offers forwards, backwards, normal power and economy power. Economy allows you to go further although when the car is running low on current it switches to economy automatically.

There is a heater and air conditioning is available, although both reduce the range and are extras. But oddly the little car has perforated seats through which cooling air can be blown to chill the posterior. Normally you need to spend upwards of £45,000 to get this feature!

The ride is a little bumpy, the bodywork – although dentproof – is jiffly. The makers claim four seats but in reality it is two, with two vestigial child seats at the rear. These fold forward to increase the luggage more than sufficient for the weekly shop. A small driver with seat well forward could carry three children or two children and one adult.

IN A NUTSHELL

Smiles are guaranteed from both yourself and others. Bodywork is a little crude but running costs have to be the best on the road – and you won’t get anything which is environmentally friendlier.

G-WIZ ELECTRIC CITY CAR

Price
£7,999 (Current offer £6,999)

Looks
Squashed

Handling
Battery weight aids roadholding

Practicality
Perfect in town. Ok for shopping

Performance
Very streetwise

Engine Electric with 400 Amp microprocessor

Max power 70 Newton Metres

Top speed 40mph

0 – 69 N/A

Economy Approx 1p a mile

Emissions None

Insurance Group One

THE OPPOSITION

GEM e2
Seats two. Top speed 25mph. Range 30 miles

Ford Think
On lease only next year. Range 30 miles

Citroen Berlingo Electrique van
Costs £9120. Batteries leased at £74 a month

ends

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

Car plugs into ordinary house socket.

Nine units of electricity give full charge.

Full charge takes five hours, 80 per cent charge, 2.5 hours.

Running cost approx 1p a mile.

Dashboard gauge indicates charge remaining with low battery warning.

No showrooms. Sales direct from GoinGreen - Showroom_G-Wiz

Hope this answers your questions!

Rod

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
I have driven the G Wiz.

Here is the report I did on it at the time:

Hope this answers your questions!

Rod
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks Rod its does answer most of them, any idea of warranty of battery which is the bugbearer....ok so not gonna be for execs but for the majority round london what a brilliant machine, the running costs and other savings are brilliant,of course its horses for courses and not everyones cup of tea, brompton bikes are very widespread in london but not for everyone and personally i think this car will appeal to the minority who can see its benifits just as brompton owners see the benifits of a brompton over a conventional bike...a few months back i saw jeremy clarkeson on top gear drive a little blue car round im guessing london, so small it was that he drove it INTO the bbc building and even into the lift and into the rooms..it had no reverse gear so all you did was go to the back and lift it up and turn it round...park on a sixpence was never so perfectly showed.....and they actually stated on the show it was "the best car they had ever had on it"....which just goes to show that Jeremy Clarkson is not the total thick plank some of his actions make him out to be...

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I take it the 1p a mile running costs don't take into account battery depreciation. That may make the Smart car look not so bad after all.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I disagree with some of that Rod.

They are useless on hills, doing a fair imitation of a milk float and causing severe traffic holdups then, and that's why I turned the option down for my area. A Hampstead owner demonstrated just how bad they were on hills for me in that moderately hilly area and it just wasn't acceptable.

As usual of course, e-vehicle sellers base themselves in pancake flat areas and there's no chance to try out hill climbing, and that's true of the G-Wiz people, trials only offered to me in two flat areas.

Some owners are now not too happy about the battery life either, not surprising when the cost to have battery replacement cover wrapped into the car purchase is £150 per month.

Travelling not far into the London congestion charge area where it's largely flat, there's plenty of free facilities, and £8 a day is saved, they are undoubtedly a bargain. In all other circumstances I think they are very poor and there's better e-cars out there, albeit with limited availability.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I'd rather have a Smart car or a Brompton, Actually I have both and they're great. Had the Smart car 6 years and I fail to see how an electric car can compare in any sense. The Brompton fits in the back a treat. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd rather have a Smart car or a Brompton, Actually I have both and they're great. Had the Smart car 6 years and I fail to see how an electric car can compare in any sense. The Brompton fits in the back a treat. :)
The Smart Electric is still awaited, though they have released 100 of them to selected users in the UK this year for evaluation, so we may see it next year. The 4/5 seater Mitsubishi i-car electric version is also due then, both much more practical than the G-Wiz which i think will disappear from our market once these better cars arrive since it won't be able to compete.

In fairness, the G-Wiz was designed some years ago but took a long time to get to market.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
The Smart Electric is still awaited, though they have released 100 of them to selected users in the UK this year for evaluation, so we may see it next year. The 4/5 seater Mitsubishi i-car electric version is also due then, both much more practical than the G-Wiz which i think will disappear from our market once these better cars arrive since it won't be able to compete.

Interesting and no doubt it will be an improvement. I'm still very sceptical about the practicality of fully electric cars. The real costs are always hidden, the range is usually very poor for a car, and the green credentials are deeply suspect. Anouncements about electric cars seem to be all about image, looking eco friendly and publicity.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Interesting and no doubt it will be an improvement. I'm still very sceptical about the practicality of fully electric cars. The real costs are always hidden, the range is usually very poor for a car, and the green credentials are deeply suspect. Anouncements about electric cars seem to be all about image, looking eco friendly and publicity.
My sentiments exactly. I wanted to buy one early this year but all of them simply aren't practical at present so I bought a small petrol town car instead. I was thinking of the Smart at nearly £10K, but in the end bought the Chevrolet revision of the former Daewoo Matiz. The one litre SE top of the range one and normally over £8K was on offer for 6K new, so no contest as it's only a little longer and 3" narrower so scarcely bigger but with 4/5 seats and more carry space. With £3K part exchange on the old car, it was just £3K to drive away.

A reasonable similar electric one from Smart or Mitsubishi promises to be about £14K next year. Ouch. :eek:

Last edited:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
No brainer. The Smart like most cars is getting middle age spread. They've done away with the 3 cylinder 598cc turbo and replaced it with a 1 litre Mitsubishi. Still flash each other though :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No brainer. The Smart like most cars is getting middle age spread. They've done away with the 3 cylinder 598cc turbo and replaced it with a 1 litre Mitsubishi. Still flash each other though :D

Yes, the engine change was good in a way, but I didn't appreciate them enlarging the car which has spoilt it a little for me. It's whole raison d'etre was it's tiny cuteness which has partly been lost.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
I'm surprised that more folks don't seem to have registered the presence of the Seat eco-mobile. That's a truly practical and cheap form of transport. Under £11k (just!) 0% finance offer, free road tax, congestion charge exempt, standard aircon etc. 75 mpg diesel (combined) with an 80bhp diesel and based on a proven chassis (Ibiza, so Golf based), with 5 seats to boot. I saw one of these at the Royal Cornwall Show this year and I'm constantly surprised how few people seem to know of it! On the economy front alone it knocks spots of the Smart car and imho makes the Prius look like an expensive environmental joke ;) . No doubt some will disagree, but that's how I feel about it :D !

Phil

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
I think folks often miss the point of the electric\hybrid cars. They use no fuel at low town speeds. So they are great for flat congested areas. If yoru a commuter driver crawling at ~20mph thru town every day then they are great.

Fuel efficient cars are good at 'general use.' So its horses for courses.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
(Ibiza, so Golf based)

Phil
Slight error Phil, the Ibiza is VW Polo based. It's the next Seat up like the Leon that's Golf based.

The VW group family: cars by ranges using same base and motors:

Small: Skoda Fabia, Seat Ibiza, VW Polo.

Medium: Skoda Octavia, Seat Leon, Seat Altea, VW Golf.

Large: Skoda Superb, VW Passat.

Their Audi cars tend to mix parts across models, but the A4 is mainly Golf and the A5 and A6 are mainly Passat.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I think folks often miss the point of the electric\hybrid cars. They use no fuel at low town speeds. So they are great for flat congested areas. If yoru a commuter driver crawling at ~20mph thru town every day then they are great.

Fuel efficient cars are good at 'general use.' So its horses for courses.
I'm still missing the point. If an electric car is really only any good for commuting in flat congested areas crawling along through town you'd be better off with a bike. The only advantage they seem to offer is they're warm and dry and can carry a bit more stuff. But then the fuel efficient car is even better because it holds even more stuff and the total cost is still going to be much cheaper given the high initial cost and the ongoing battery cost.

Also many of these fuel effient cars are diesel and touting combined mpg figures. It would be interesting to know just how many MPG Diesel cars get starting winter cold, driving a local, stop/start bumper to bumper, 5 mile commute - compared to a petrol equivalent.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Also many of these fuel effient cars are diesel and touting combined mpg figures. It would be interesting to know just how many MPG Diesel cars get starting winter cold, driving a local, stop/start bumper to bumper, 5 mile commute - compared to a petrol equivalent.
I agree, I've a number of neighbours running small diesels and they aren't too impressed with the real world economy. I once had a new small diesel company car (Peugeot 1.9D) for commuting in London's heavy traffic and made the company change it after just 8 months as it was useless in heavy traffic stop-start conditions with vibration and noise making for discomfort, plus disappointing economy which didn't compensate. Diesels are fine on the open road at speed, but horrible in stop-start conditions, especially when run cold on short trips.

In addition these newer diesel eco models suffer from losses in performance and driving pleasantness, the motoring reviewers being almost universally unimpressed and sometimes very critical. I'm speaking of real reviews of course, not the sham newspaper ones.

I fear that once the green agenda takes over completely, all cars will be horrible to drive compared to now.

silversurfer

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2007
diesel v petrol

flecc is correct; diesel cars are not super economical in heavy traffic. I ran a 1.9d Citroen (same engine as Peugeot), 45/50 mpg on a run, a bit less in town, probably much less if I lived in London!
As a retired motor engineer I have seen many changes in engines over the years. Diesel engines are more fuel efficient than petrol because they can/do use a much higher compression ratio and can accept fuel/air ratios as low as 200;1. Petrol engines need traditionally 15;1 but lean burn engine can manage a bit higher ratio.
However what uses/wastes more fuel is the persistent accelerate/stop cycle in heavy traffic. Constantly hauling 3/4 ton or more to 20 mph then stopping it is most wasteful. Diesels particularly can be 'over fuelled' by a too heavy foot in these conditions.
All engines are inefficient until warmed up. Fuel usage, whether oil based or electric is basically down to how much weight has to be move, how quickly (acceleration) and to what speed, plus the effects of friction(big, wide noisy tyres!) oh and air resistance, if outside London traffic speeds! Exactly the same scenario that is applied to electric bikes!
Internal combustion engine have improved considerably over the past 20 years with the advent of fuel injection, electronic engine management and common rail diesel engines. But more costly to diagnose/repair when same electronics have a bad hair day!
All the old 'tips' I remember being promoted in the 70ies oil crisis (gentle acceleration, (unless you work for 'Top Gear') blow up your tyres, remove the roof rack etc are being promoted today.
For my part I run an 850cc car that does 40+mpg is totally aluminium, weighs 12cwt runs on 16" tyres that are about 4" wide, oh and has an air resistance (CD) rating of just over 0.2 and before you ask, like Concord, they don't make them anymore! Silversurfer.

subevo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2007
im currently building my own electric car.its a daewoo matiz with its engine ripped out.so far everything is ready to run apart from the adaptor plate and motor coupling which will mate the electric motor to the original cars gearbox.its a 72volt system with 4 trojan lead acid batterys in the boot and 2 up front where the radiator used to be.check out www.evalbum for general information.there is link for cars home built in the uk.no one seems to have converted a matiz yet.total cost so far is £2500.all going well should be ready before christmas.