Electric conversion on Hase Lepus recumbent trike

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
When I bought my 20" Q100 front wheel from BMS last year, my plan was to use it on two of my bikes, wiring each up permanently with controllers and throttles etc., and swapping it quickly between them. (BMS sell the neat little waterproof 8 way motor line connectors separately, so it's just a matter of switching the front wheel and one plug).

I converted my Dahon folder first, and was very pleased with the result, which I published on a thread on this forum a few months back.

I've now got round to fitting it to my Hase Lepus recumbent trike as well. I'd bought a spare BMS SO6S controller and lcd panel with my last order, together with throttle etc..

I've just given it a 20 mile trial run and the motor had ample power for me ( 15 stone :eek: ), averaging 12 mph and hitting 20mph max. That was with quite gentle pedalling at assist level 3. My now "standard" 36v 10ah lithium ion battery pack still showed three bars after 22 miles, so the range is better than on my normal upright bikes, (less wind resistance I suppose). I think if it were pushed at level 5 with someone fitter and lighter than me it would be quite nippy.

The Q100 motor is the 328rpm version, so can run up to about 18mph at 36v despite being only 20". It adds exactly 2 kg in weight to a standard unpowered wheel. It might seem wrong to have the power on the front wheel rather than the back because of having less weight over it, but it doesn't give wheel spin, and in fact it adds "two wheel" drive to the Hase, because only one of the rear wheels is powered by the chainset.

If anyone suffers numb bum like me on long rides with conventional saddles, then the recumbent trike has to be tried to be believed. It's like laying in a softly sprung mobile sunlounger, semi reclined, yet not so low and worrying as the really low slung sports trikes. The underseat handlebars are very comfortable, with no pressure on the wrists. It was a very comfortable ride before motorising, but now even the hills are flattened out.

I put the SO6S controller in another of those weather tight Maplin aluminium cases, bolting it firmly to the inside, to make the whole case into a larger heatsink, though it doesn't seem to get even warm. The connections are then all tidy inside, without needing to cut any of the leads to length.

The sports holdall sits neatly in the rear carrier, easily accommodating both of my 36v battery packs, on foam rubber pads.

The only problem with the Hase recumbents is that they're so damned expensive to buy new, but I was lucky enough to pick one up on ebay with a broken rear sub axle, ( which was easy to fix :) ).

side.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Aushiker and Geebee

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Good write-up - Looks a fun bike to ride.

But I think your gps's elevation data's broke:
I'venever seen such a flat trace - most of my 20 mile rides involve about 10 times that elevation gain ;)

If you'd like a few hills I'm sure we could send you some - I don't think anyone would miss a few down here.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
When I retired to Norfolk, I didn't realise how much it was going to improve my enjoyment of cycling !

I guess it shows why bikes are so popular in Holland. :)

Reactions: andyh2

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When I retired to Norfolk, I didn't realise how much it was going to improve my enjoyment of cycling !

I guess it shows why bikes are so popular in Holland. :)
Indeed, cycling was invented in flat areas. How do i know this? Simple, the earliest bikes like the penny-farthing are impossible to climb steep hills with and lethally dangerous downhill. They could not have been created in a hilly area.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The first bikes didn't have pedals.

Samson64

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 24, 2014
Hello

Just got the same motor I was wondering where you got your battery?

regards

Sam

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
When I bought my 20" Q100 front wheel from BMS last year, my plan was to use it on two of my bikes, wiring each up permanently with controllers and throttles etc., and swapping it quickly between them. (BMS sell the neat little waterproof 8 way motor line connectors separately, so it's just a matter of switching the front wheel and one plug).

I converted my Dahon folder first, and was very pleased with the result, which I published on a thread on this forum a few months back.

I've now got round to fitting it to my Hase Lepus recumbent trike as well. I'd bought a spare BMS SO6S controller and lcd panel with my last order, together with throttle etc..

I've just given it a 20 mile trial run and the motor had ample power for me ( 15 stone :eek: ), averaging 12 mph and hitting 20mph max. That was with quite gentle pedalling at assist level 3. My now "standard" 36v 10ah lithium ion battery pack still showed three bars after 22 miles, so the range is better than on my normal upright bikes, (less wind resistance I suppose). I think if it were pushed at level 5 with someone fitter and lighter than me it would be quite nippy.

The Q100 motor is the 328rpm version, so can run up to about 18mph at 36v despite being only 20". It adds exactly 2 kg in weight to a standard unpowered wheel. It might seem wrong to have the power on the front wheel rather than the back because of having less weight over it, but it doesn't give wheel spin, and in fact it adds "two wheel" drive to the Hase, because only one of the rear wheels is powered by the chainset.

If anyone suffers numb bum like me on long rides with conventional saddles, then the recumbent trike has to be tried to be believed. It's like laying in a softly sprung mobile sunlounger, semi reclined, yet not so low and worrying as the really low slung sports trikes. The underseat handlebars are very comfortable, with no pressure on the wrists. It was a very comfortable ride before motorising, but now even the hills are flattened out.

I put the SO6S controller in another of those weather tight Maplin aluminium cases, bolting it firmly to the inside, to make the whole case into a larger heatsink, though it doesn't seem to get even warm. The connections are then all tidy inside, without needing to cut any of the leads to length.

The sports holdall sits neatly in the rear carrier, easily accommodating both of my 36v battery packs, on foam rubber pads.

The only problem with the Hase recumbents is that they're so damned expensive to buy new, but I was lucky enough to pick one up on ebay with a broken rear sub axle, ( which was easy to fix :) ).

View attachment 8694
many thanks for the review, I have a hase tagun and have ordered a 328 rpm bafang bpm2 rear hub kit for it - its great to have some reference for what to expect

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
You had me worried there
many thanks for the review, I have a hase tagun and have ordered a 328 rpm bafang bpm2 rear hub kit for it - its great to have some reference for what to expect
You had me worried there Derf, I wondered how you was going to fit an electric rear hub kit to a Hase trike !

I googled "Hase Tagun" before replying though, luckily ! :)

I hadn't realised they do a two wheeled version of my Lepus.

It looks very comfy, nice and low, unlike so many recumbent bikes.

The trike version makes a better sunlounger though, when you get to the beach. :)

Attachments

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Yes indeed, I find the hump back bridges can be a real slog.

Thank goodness for electricity... :)

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Yes indeed, I find the hump back bridges can be a real slog.

Thank goodness for electricity... :)
where I am in leafy bucks it really is hilly, im hoping the 328 rpm bpm2 provides enough torque in a 20 wheel (I would have preferred a trike btw,but as you say their costly..)

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
My ever growing understanding from reading this forum is that the 328rpm in 20" is the right "general use" combination, as regards torque and top speed compromise.
I believe 328rpm can become a problem in a 26" or 28" rims because it's then very highly geared and can cause problems on steep hills with overheating if not pedalled fast enough.
Conversely though, lower 200 or 250 rpm is too undergeared in a 20" rim.

The Hase (and the Dahon folder), go really well with the 328rpm on 36 volts, even on reasonable hills, (which there are a few in Norfolk, like the "King of the Mountain" section at Mousehold Heath, Norwich, a couple of years ago. :)