electric motorbike kits

smdts

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 25, 2020
does anyone have any recommendations for converting a petrol kids motocrosser to electric?
my daughter has a 50cc dirt bike, but where we go the police are up there every day harrassing riders since lockdown, but those on the oset electric bikes and my other daughter on her 48v quad never receive any hassle.
Anyone used the cylinder motors with a chain drive sprocket on them?

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Unfortunately, even with an electric motor bike, you still need the land owner's permission to ride it legally off road.

smdts

May 25, 2020
Technically yes, but the police here are turning a blind eye to those on electric offroaders here.

smdts

May 25, 2020
there are no houses for at least 5 miles, and the dogwalking and cycling paths never cross the dirt bike tracks, the hills on the tracks are too steep and loose for people on foot or a pushbike. Motorbikes have used that particular bing for decades without any problems or complaints, its only since the lockdown that sad sacks of shite have started complaining because other peoples joy makes them unhappy.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
there are no houses for at least 5 miles, and motorbikes have used that particular bing for decades without any problems or complaints, its only since the lockdown that sad sacks of shite have started complaining because other peoples joy makes them unhappy.

Recently there was a nasty case where an 11 year old budding gymnast was hit by someone being reckless with an off road trail bike in a park and he ended up having a leg amputated, so putting an end to his dreams. This could be why there is a crack down. One idiot spoils it for everyone.

I am a bit torn on this issue. I don't like it when noisy, polluting, uninsured kids go ripping about in public places annoying people on these bikes on land where they don't have permission. But I'd rather they be doing that for kicks than mugging old ladies or messing with drugs. In your case, you'd be the responsible adult supervising and making sure everything was ok.

It's a shame there can't be some organised system for kids to do this in safety and in a way that doesn't bother anyone.

• Agree
Reactions: Gringo and flecc

smdts

May 25, 2020
Agreed, the pay and play tracks here are overcrowded and full of people riding competition machinery at 10 tenths so they are no good for a young girl just wanting to play.
The landowner here has no objection to motorbikes, but wont give written permission due to fear of liability.
electric looks the way forward.

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
Look up Miromax for some ideas, conversions can certainly be engineered but at a cost. I doubt anything designed for cycle use would be of much use.

I looked into converting a small outboard motor for canal use but it became unfeasable.

smdts

May 25, 2020
My daughter didnt like that idea because we rebuilt this bike from scrap together, so it has sentimental value so I have ordered this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202991667377
I have 4x 12v 7ah agm batteries stripped from a UPS at the workshop so they will be fitted initially for testing and proof of concept,
then if all is well and if the controller can handle a slight overvolt it will be powered with 3x milwaukee 18v 9ah batteries for lighter weight and better packaging.
They will be charged seperately off the bike on a milwaukee 6 bay charger.

Reactions: Pedant peddler

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
My daughter didnt like that idea because we rebuilt this bike from scrap together, so it has sentimental value so I have ordered this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202991667377
I have 4x 12v 7ah agm batteries stripped from a UPS at the workshop so they will be fitted initially for testing and proof of concept,
then if all is well and if the controller can handle a slight overvolt it will be powered with 3x milwaukee 18v 9ah batteries for lighter weight and better packaging.
They will be charged seperately off the bike on a milwaukee 6 bay charger.
Sounds like a nice project, hope you have fun with it :)

smdts

May 25, 2020
I have a spare kt lcd3, do you think it would work with that motor controller?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
LCD3 will only work with KT/Keunteng controller which they are programmed for.

That controller has no output for led/lcd.

Last edited:

smdts

May 25, 2020
arrived today and tested, I have a slight problem, the motor is running the opposite direction than I need, runs fast, smooth and tourqey, but the wron way. When I short out the reverse switch it goes the correct way but only operates at low speed. I tried swapping 2 of the phase wires, but the motor would only click and stutter, I swapped all 3 phase wires and it runs in the correct direction but noisy and rough, quite a harsh sound.
Am I just missing a trick with the phase wiring, or do I also need to swap the hall sensor wiring to suit also? Any suggestions?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
There are 36 combinationsof phase and hall connections. There was another post recently where a connection table was linked too. Basically you have to painstakingly go through all combinations. Most will not work, some will work roughly, I think only 2 or 3 will work well.
Found it:

Reactions: smdts

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Does the controller have learn wires ? If so the controller will search and optimise the best combination to sync the motor, you shouldn't need to do much more then to connect the learn wires together until the motor runs correctly, then switch off and then disconnect them.
We did have one guy recently who went to a lot of trouble because the motor was installed backwards.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
From the original combination, you need to swap two phase wires plus two hall wires. If you swap say yellow and green phases, then you have to swap either yellow and blue or green and blue hall wires.

What batteries does it have? Whatever it has for that price, it/they're not going to last long at 1300W - most likely a 25 amp controller. 12Ah SLAs will give you 6Ah useable, which is about 15 minutes. Be aware of that before riding it 5 miles to try it out.