Embarrassment

Moorlie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 22, 2016
Hampshire
I joined this forum because I wanted to pass on thanks to those people whose messages I found useful while looking for a pedelec.

I am post 50, desk job, overweight and for the past few years a lazy git. The thought of cycling to the end of the road, 100m away, fills me with dread.

I want to change things, I want to leave the car in the drive and cycle to work ... Here I am.

My thanks to this post and all who took part in it: http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/thoughts-on-carrera-crossfire-e.22623/

I pick my bike up on Monday and the journey begins, all 6 miles of it. I am really hoping that I can get into the routine of leaving car at home and biking to work. Hardcore cyclists, apologies that my goals are so low, I had to start somewhere.

M.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
You have no need to apologise to anyone. Cycling is not exclusively for the super fit.

With the weather so good at the moment I have a feeling you are going to be enjoying it so much that you'll be doing a bit more than just your commute.

Good on ya. I expect you'll feel like a different person in a month or two.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Well done Moorlie you have made the effort which is the hard part. At every opportunity I ride my bikes for work, pleasure and errands so much so that last year I only clocked 900 miles up in the car. I strap on the panniers or use a ruck sack and will ride 30 miles for an errand. Your 6 miles is a good start and you will soon want to go a bit further and longer, if I go on a planned day out to ride I usually travel 50 - 90 miles or locally on a whim about 30 miles.
Enjoy.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
When I was first on this forum, I would read about people going for a 14 mile evening ride and I thought, ' Wow! These guys are really committed'. Couldn't see me doing that much. However, these days, if I do less than 14 miles it doesn't feel like a proper ride.
Take your time, find your groove and when the e-bike grin gets beyond your ears you'll find yourself doing more than you thought. Happy cycling.:D

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I joined this forum because I wanted to pass on thanks to those people whose messages I found useful while looking for a pedelec.

I am post 50, desk job, overweight and for the past few years a lazy git. The thought of cycling to the end of the road, 100m away, fills me with dread.

I want to change things, I want to leave the car in the drive and cycle to work ... Here I am.

My thanks to this post and all who took part in it: http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/thoughts-on-carrera-crossfire-e.22623/

I pick my bike up on Monday and the journey begins, all 6 miles of it. I am really hoping that I can get into the routine of leaving car at home and biking to work. Hardcore cyclists, apologies that my goals are so low, I had to start somewhere.

M.
Queen had it nailed: "I like to ride my bike, I like to ride it where I like."

The last bit is critical, it's your bike so you do what you want on it.

Is the commute six miles?

That's eminently doable for most people in terms of time taken and time exposed to the elements.

Should take about half an hour, depending on traffic.

I reckon commuting 10 miles or more starts to get hard work.

You need to be fully committed to spend an hour each way in the saddle in all weathers.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I reckon commuting 10 miles or more starts to get hard work.
Ooouff! 9.3 miles I am almost in the danger zone :p And only half of it is uphill! :D

OK enough being cheeky. Hills and wind are just as important as distance, my just under 10 miles include a 2.5 mile climb (and several shorter ones). Pace yourself. My new bike has brought me into the world of comfortable but slower cycling and I am beginning to enjoy looking at the countryside from a more vertical position.

Get yourself some good rain gear and don't give up at the first spot of rain. It is only water! Good waterproof gloves to keep your hands warm is important too.

PS 9.3 miles in 31 minutes yesterday

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Wind was the worst for me on the commute, really takes it out of you.

I've had 4 times on the ebike where I'd be in the granny gear and a mess when I got home on the normal bike but happily pedalled along at 13mph with no issues at all. Just makes it so much easier.

cyberdyne_systems

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
Surrey
Welcome and hope you enjoy the journey.

You'll feel it a bit in the legs at first, but then it becomes normal to have some residual muscle strain, if you don't then you start thinking you're not trying hard enough :p

• :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wind was the worst for me on the commute, really takes it out of you.

I've had 4 times on the ebike where I'd be in the granny gear and a mess when I got home on the normal bike but happily pedalled along at 13mph with no issues at all. Just makes it so much easier.
It's probably why pedelecs are so popular in totally flat Holland. Being flat means the winds build up ferocious speed and power across the polders.

• Informative

Laoúra

Jun 5, 2016
Cambridgeshire
I'm sure you'll love it Moorlie - I've only had my bike a few weeks and it's a great way to get to work. I used to cycle to work on a normal bike and didn't particularly enjoy it. It's not hilly where I live, but because it's flat it gets very windy and it makes it hard work (I guess it's similar to Holland as flecc (post above) mentions).

One thing I'm enjoying in this hot weather is that although I do get a bit of exercise, I'm not arriving at work sweating like I would on a normal bike. The keen cyclists still race past me on their regular bikes, but I'm getting to work in 20-25 mins and it used to take 40 mins on the bus (and also cost me £6.40 per day :eek: ).

Moorlie

Jul 22, 2016
Hampshire
At every opportunity I ride my bikes for work, pleasure and errands so much so that last year I only clocked 900 miles up in the car.
Enjoy.
That is a target I could never meet; family do not fit on the bike. Or maybe I have missed a trick here :).

Moorlie

Jul 22, 2016
Hampshire
but I'm getting to work in 20-25 mins and it used to take 40 mins on the bus (and also cost me £6.40 per day :eek: ).
Thanks for reply. I dont care who overtakes me either and the stats you have posted are similar to the reason it makes financial sense for me as much as the health benefit. My bike just cost me £800 from Halfords, £66 a month on their 0% finance. Three days a week cycling and it pays for itself in fuel saved alone. Hope my enthusiasm keeps up

Reactions: Laoúra

Moorlie

Jul 22, 2016
Hampshire
Welcome and hope you enjoy the journey.

You'll feel it a bit in the legs at first, but then it becomes normal to have some residual muscle strain, if you don't then you start thinking you're not trying hard enough :p
Right now, first day, its not the legs that are hurting. I think that the seat is made of concrete and I am going to go find out what gel seats are all about :|

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Right now, first day, its not the legs that are hurting. I think that the seat is made of concrete and I am going to go find out what gel seats are all about :|
It's a bit counter intuitive, but a softer or wider saddle isn't always the answer.

Everyone I know who's tried a Brooks leather saddle is converted.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: Jain

Moorlie

Jul 22, 2016
Hampshire
You have no need to apologise to anyone. Cycling is not exclusively for the super fit.

With the weather so good at the moment I have a feeling you are going to be enjoying it so much that you'll be doing a bit more than just your commute.

Good on ya. I expect you'll feel like a different person in a month or two.
This morning I did feel like a new person, I loved every minute of the ride to work. Not having ridden an electric bike before I was surprised when I got past the 25kmh on the flat and the 'help' went away, but that's the learning curve. I was surprised at how easy that uphill 2 mile stretch was as well (on setting 2 of 4 for that). Also loved the route that Google Maps showed me. I live in Southampton, a typical UK city, but for a small section of the route to work Google took me through the common. Slightly longer, but avoiding a nasty congestion point. Instead of negotiating through nose-to-bumper cars I was breezing along through the park with joggers and people taking their dogs for a walk. How good is that! I also noticed other cyclists leaving the footpath near pedestrians and followed suit.

So that was day 1.

Reactions: Alan Quay

Moorlie

Jul 22, 2016
Hampshire
OK enough being cheeky. Hills and wind are just as important as distance, my just under 10 miles include a 2.5 mile climb (and several shorter ones). Pace yourself. My new bike has brought me into the world of comfortable but slower cycling and I am beginning to enjoy looking at the countryside from a more vertical position.

Get yourself some good rain gear and don't give up at the first spot of rain. It is only water! Good waterproof gloves to keep your hands warm is important too.

PS 9.3 miles in 31 minutes yesterday
Okay, what is classes as a 'climb'? As I leave my house and turn left for work I have an uphill stretch that goes on for 2 miles. It's horrible to walk and horrible to cycle, but maybe that's just me. In reality the 2 miles only goes up about 80m. If I turn right I have the same vertical climb in 0.5m and that's worse :)

I have been a long distance all weather m/bike commuter for many years. I have noticed a lack of heated handle bar grips in the elec bike world and am thinking of having a tinker - I knew there would be a use for that usb socket :)