eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Well the best laid plans and all....you ring up and yep they are available and then find yourself having to cancel the hotel you've booked. Sorry guys South Downs will have to wait :mad::rolleyes::(
It seems now my mother is "doing" something else and my brother has now booked a holiday to Greece. As you can tell I'm ruddy furious.
I get this all the time, they never come to me and visit, I've always got to go to them. I think it's been about 10 years thus far !!!! :mad::mad::mad:. My mother isn't the nicest of persons at the best of times and my brother well he is exceptionally self centred.
Thank the lord for my bikes to keep me happy and contented.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Going through a Purple Patch at the moment
Ride to work off track purple patch 002.JPG
Ride to work off track purple patch 003.JPG
Ride to work off track purple patch 004.JPG
Getting closer to that illusive 11,000 miles having covered 10,960 now.

22 mile return trip to work. 12 off road and 10 on. Stunning Easter weather.

I do have to work hard sometimes, but not today, set off for work at about 9:45, did what I had to do and was back home again at 12:30.

Reactions: EddiePJ and Nev

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Been working over easter until today but the Canyons needed a service, however out tomorrow ;)

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
40 miler on the Haibikes, got a bit of soreness going on then realised he'd messed with my seat so it wasn't in the right position. No pics I'm afraid too much of a nice day to remember to take some.

Reactions: EddiePJ

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Nice morning ride to work setting off at about 6:45AM.
Ride to work off track 9 may 19 002.JPG
Ride to work off track 9 may 19 005.JPG
Time pressure meant cutting out one of my single track loops to save a couple of miles but there was still plenty to enjoy in my 12 mile journey.

I have broken through the 11,000 mile barrier, having now ridden 11,058.

The free wheel on the hub of my new wheel is quite noisy in comparison to the previous wheel when coasting without pedaling but the wheel does seem to have a very tough rim that is tubeless ready.

My original battery still used the same amount of capacity on each leg of the journey as it always has, just under 30% on the 12 mile off road to work ride, and around 35% on the faster on road 10 mile return journey.

I was lucky to miss the heavy showers that were around staying dry both going and coming back from work.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Hi Deere John,

I bought this bike in March 2015, specifically to ride to work and back using some nice off road routes, and that it what it has done. The off road routes vary from gentle tracks to some more challenging bits that I love, but all in beautiful countryside away from cars. Usually the route to work is 12 to 14 miles. I ride back 10 miles on the road.

I was lucky to get a new motor free of charge under warranty right on the two year end of warranty point. The replacement motor is within a 1000 miles of when the first was replaced. I am now however much more careful cleaning the bike to avoid getting water near the bearings having discovered that they are far from indestructible.

I have also destroyed two rear wheels and am on my third. The second one did last 10,000 miles, so not too bad.

I had to replace the connectors to my battery and charger myself as dealers will not repair them and do not supply the Yamaha connector for you to repair.

Dealers are graciously happy to sell you a new charger and 400Wh battery for £800 though. If you cannot fix it yourself this is your only option whether it happens inside or outside the warranty.

Anyway I did fix it myself with the help of a very capable friend.

This involved overcoming the security defeat bolts to open the battery case to carefully solder the wires inside the battery case and then seal with silicone sealant where they exited the battery case and add new connectors bought from ebay for less than £10 to the charger and battery leads.

Fortunately that all worked and my original battery is now over a year older and has powered the bike another 2000 miles plus since.

Other than that it has been general wear and tear, chains, cassettes, chain rings, brake pads, tyres etc.

I am very impressed with the toughness of the tyres I am using at the moment as they have reached 5436 miles since I put them on in January 2017. At this rate they will last longer than the first motor!

I have to say though that the general quality of the Haibike is very good and I like the Yamaha system.

Where I start work could be moving in about six months time, not dramatically, but it could effect the logistics of riding to work. We will see. I cannot imagine not riding to work now so I will hope I can find a way to still do it.

I had a dramatic change of career path after being made redundant in the credit crunch of 2008 when I was approaching 50 that could have been a real disaster but the new Job in a completely different field I got as a result has proved to be fantastic in all sorts of ways, not least of which is being able to ride to work cross country a lot of the time.

One door closes and another opens as they say. Though it helps to knock loudly on the door.

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Not working today so what better way to relax than ride one of my favourite local circuits up and down the North Downs and including St Marthas Church and Blackheath war memorial in Surrey. No motor on this bike but I thought you would forgive me and enjoy the pictures.
KTM St Martha May 19 001.JPG
Bench by the Blackheath War memorial with view through the trees to St Marthas church. You will need to enlarge the photograph to see the church.
KTM St Martha May 19 002.JPG
Lockner Farm Chilworth with St Marthas in the nearer distance now and a steep technical climb beckoning. If you enlarge this picture you can see the church better and also the steepness of the hill to come.
KTM St Martha May 19 007.JPG
Phew, made it to the top without stopping including a steep stony track, tree routes and deep sand.
KTM St Martha May 19 008.JPG
The very pretty St Marthas Church on the Pilgims Way
KTM St Martha May 19 012.JPG
View back with Newbarn Farm
KTM St Martha May 19 015.JPG
Warren lane Albury with overhanging trees
KTM St Martha May 19 023.JPG
Field decent to cross the railway line with Ford Farm on the other side and Winterfold wood in the distance.
KTM St Martha May 19 024.JPG
Crossing the tracks looking back at the field I have come from.
KTM St Martha May 19 025.JPG
Following the river valley from Ford farm with St Marthas visible in the distance. Again enlarging the picture lets you see the church.
KTM St Martha May 19 026.JPG
Looking back up the valley with the weir and river. Now back across Blackheath Forest and home.

Last edited:

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Burma Road/Cairngorm epic.....5 hrs with an average of 19km/h.... a banana and a pint of water. But what a day out based from my house....Kincraig to Lynwilg, the Burma Road to Carrbridge, a jaunt into Boat of Garten woods to try and find Loch Vaa (I got a MTB guided tour from some very nice BoG resident after a polite ask of where it was!!), the ok Speyside way to Aviemore and then up to the Cairngorm Mountain car park via the Allt Mor river (until sign said no more), back down around Loch Morlich and Loch an Eilein and via Jack drakes bothy to Feshiebridge...almost home but chose the "drystone dyke" climb right over the hill to Ardgeal and home.... 96km, over 1500m ascent... 2 batteries but both came back with 1 bar left.... yee ha!!!
Summit of the Burma Road looking East over the Cairngorms

View attachment 29712

The River Dulnain at Caggan
View attachment 29713

The River Dulnain nearer Carrbridge

View attachment 29714

The Allt Mor across from the "sugar bowl" car park...(I spent a week here studying Lichenometry in 1998 for my dissertation!!)
View attachment 29715

Th e Summit of the Cairngorm CAR PARK (The snow is still here!!)

View attachment 29717

Home.....Muc-Off time
View attachment 29718

Reactions: georgehenry

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
40 miler on the Haibikes, got a bit of soreness going on then realised he'd messed with my seat so it wasn't in the right position. No pics I'm afraid too much of a nice day to remember to take some.
Congrats at getting into the Bike Vault hall of fame!!!?

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Does the lake get warm enough to swim? Looks a lovely area to ride. Beautiful view by the lakeside and also from the mountain top in the picture above.

Reactions: Deere John

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Does the lake get warm enough to swim? Looks a lovely area to ride. Beautiful view by the lakeside and also from the mountain top in the picture above.
Yes, actually I had a quick bath during easter holiday. That bigger lake from mountain top is not so warm though. Need a hot summer for that one :) now we have warm weather again so it feels promising. A few days more like this and maybe first swim!

Reactions: Nev and georgehenry

Related Articles

Advertisers