ERider moped Help

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Get a friend/neighbour/grandson or anybody like that to do it for you. DO NOT buy any battery until you know what current is written on the controller. I can guarantee that a £110 one won't work on your bike unless it's SLAs which would give yo a range of less than 10 miles and are very heavy. Lithium will be around £300 to £400.
I maybe able to lay moped on its side then see underneath, it look then I am going to have to buy a battery for £325. the bloody sod who sold it me wont reply back to me no more now. I have his address. I have been round once popped a letter in his door, but heard nothing back, also am going round again tomorrow same thing will drop a letter in his door. but not expecting him to open door. it just bloody annoys me people who do that. I've now got to pay double price for moped. But Like flecc said bike don't look too bad at least I will have a good bike then after getting a battery. it would help if the bloody seller gave me at least £150 back towards a new battery. But I don't get luck that way.

I have sent pictures of moped to ERider web site so now will have to see if they say what model it is and what type of battery i will need

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi Andy-Mat yes I expect you are right regarding the main reason that people sell e-bikes.

Well how could I have taken the bike for a run 1st with not paying him. Mind you also I couldn't see him letting me pay him half money then take bike for a good run. as say it went flat which it did after 5 miles. it nearly killed me pushing it. I will be 70 this year, so didn't need all that. Plus the dam pedals kept banging my leg. I should have taken some tools so at least I could have taking 1 pedal off the side I was pushing it on left side.

as for buying a normal bike I'm afraid at my age its impossible, as got arthritis in knees hence a electric bike
I would think that if say you left some identifying paper, like a passport, and he still did not trust you, its a tip that something is not kosher with the bike.
Sadly your story has been told on these pages many times.......
My only advice is everyone buying secondhand, must take great care!!
I buy on ebay, and I ask the seller many pertinent questions for new and secondhand articles. Both my questions and his/her answers are stored by ebay as emails, and if he is lying, I get ebay to get me my money back......and I only buy where Paypal is available!
regards
Andy
PS. What about the small claims court where you live, and take a copy of the ad he made.

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I would think that if say you left some identifying paper, like a passport, and he still did not trust you, its a tip that something is not kosher with the bike.
Sadly your story has been told on these pages many times.......
My only advice is everyone buying secondhand, must take great care!!
I buy on ebay, and I ask the seller many pertinent questions for new and secondhand articles. Both my questions and his/her answers are stored by ebay as emails, and if he is lying, I get ebay to get me my money back......and I only buy where Paypal is available!
regards
Andy
PS. What about the small claims court where you live, and take a copy of the ad he made.

Yes I wasn't very careful when I purchased moped. but my brother said far as seller was concerned it worked when you rode away with bike. that would be his story in court. I have wrote him another letter which I will post in his letter box tomorrow as this is 2nd time I have been then. but he hasn't even replied to 1st letter I posted to him on Friday. But when you ring his number now all you get is number not recognised. so it seems he has removed his sim and using probably another mobile sim. there-fore maybe he cant remember my number. as it would have been on his sim. but he has had my letter on Friday so all he has to do is replace his sim to find my number again. regarding taking him to small claims court. yes i have said this to him in a letter. but like my brother said it would cost you more then. actually the story goes he 1st advertised a Electric Moped on Gumtree. when I saw it and contacted him he said sorry it got sold 5 minutes ago at that time. then a few days later he contacted me to say he has another moped for sale. as he knew i wanted one. but he hadn't placed it on gumtree. so I'm stuck really. I'm just waiting now for a reply from ERider web site what model my moped is and cost of a new battery. probably will have to buy a new box for it too, as if you look at old box there is a black wire what seems to go to what looks like a bike air inlet line. but surely that's a fuse isn't it. what ever happens the battery has to have same connecter as in photo above

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
When I bought something faulty and the shop would not help, I wrote a recorded delivery letter headed "without prejudice" advising I would go to small claims court. They did not reply so paid my fee and issued the claim at the court. The defendant HAS to reply to this court document or loses by default.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
When I bought something faulty and the shop would not help, I wrote a recorded delivery letter headed "without prejudice" advising I would go to small claims court. They did not reply so paid my fee and issued the claim at the court. The defendant HAS to reply to this court document or loses by default.
But like I said above he never placed this moped on gumtree so I would end up paying court fees when it could go towards a new battery. I would be happy if seller paid me at least £150 towards a new battery but he isn't going to do that. What upsets me so much is this has not been a very good year for me as I lost one of my sisters to Covid . She was only 71 lived in a care home. Also it took me a while to save up the money for a bike too. I just feel now I would like to harm this man. If my younger brother went with me he would just smash mans window. But then police would arrive. But I just hope this nasty man get something bad wrong with him. It just amazes me how nice he was at 1st then just change.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The defendant HAS to reply to this court document or loses by default.
The problem then is that the small claims court has no follow through procedure to enforce its jurisdiction/your rights over the seller who 'lost'.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
no the charging connector is further along a 3 pin socket look at the image where it shows inside battery case
Sorry, but the 3 pin connector is the discharge port. If you are charging the battery through that, then you are bypassing the BMS, which is there to protect the battery. Post a photo of your charger, I have a feeling it's the old one for the lead acid batteries.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Sorry, but the 3 pin connector is the discharge port. If you are charging the battery through that, then you are bypassing the BMS, which is there to protect the battery. Post a photo of your charger, I have a feeling it's the old one for the lead acid batteries.
At 1st this man said he was told he was using a charger for Lead Acid battery. I don't have a photo of that. as he has it not me. so then He told me he got onto EBikes and they told him he need this charger for Lithium Battery. also look at end of this charger its same end what's on Bike itself where you plug in battery. also what's discharge for anyway, as if you look at inside battery case where that 1 connector you are on about not the 3 pin its only just 1 black lead what goes to the battery surely that's not charging port. Also I have now heard back from ERider and my moped is Model 15 also how comes when I plug in charger to that 3 pin port on battery it shows red then go to green

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Also I have now heard back from ERider and my moped is Model 15 also how comes when I plug in charger to that 3 pin port on battery it shows red then go to green
I had guessed that it was an earlier version of the model 15. Your charger is ok since it's brought the battery to close to the optimum voltage.

The fact you're only getting about 5 miles from the fully charged battery means one of two things. Either the battery is defective, possibly at end of life, or it's the wrong battery. The correct battery for your model 15 is a 48 volt 20 Ah lithium one.

The new battery in Accessories is on this link

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I had guessed that it was an earlier version of the model 15. Your charger is ok since it's brought the battery to close to the optimum voltage.

The fact you're only getting about 5 miles from the fully charged battery means one of two things. Either the battery is defective, possibly at end of life, or it's the wrong battery. The correct battery for your model 15 is a 48 volt 20 Ah lithium one.

The new battery in Accessories is on this link
But that battery on the link is only a 12 Ah one just below it says this, also Im very confused now where you charge battery anyway, as wheeliepete said that 3 pin is the discharge port the single lead is the charging port, but how can it be as its just 1 black wire to battery also on bike it has same 3 pin connector

also on my electric bike I have also besides this moped is 24V 16 AH

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But that battery on the link is only a 12 Ah one just below it says this, also Im very confused now where you charge battery anyway, as wheeliepete said that 3 pin is the discharge port the single lead is the charging port, but how can it be as its just 1 black wire to battery also on bike it has same 3 pin connector

also on my electric bike I have also besides this moped is 24V 16 AH
They've removed any reference to the old model 15 now so I can't check why it used to say about the 20 Ah battery. Now the bottom bike model is the model 18 which uses a 48 volt 20 Ah battery.

Clearly E-rider now say the model 15 battery is 48 volt 12 Ah and it looks different from what you've got at present. That size should be good for at least 15 miles, possibly more depending on how many hills are involved.

I've now found a supplier of your exact model as you'll see on the link, though it's out of stock, Ekobikes, and they say its battery is/was 48 volt 10 Ah and claim 20 to 25 mile range, though I think that is optimistic.

The User manual is on this link, the only useful thing its says is make sure the tyre pressure is 40 lbs per square inch since lower will reduce the range.

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Yes I wasn't very careful when I purchased moped. but my brother said far as seller was concerned it worked when you rode away with bike. that would be his story in court. I have wrote him another letter which I will post in his letter box tomorrow as this is 2nd time I have been then. but he hasn't even replied to 1st letter I posted to him on Friday. But when you ring his number now all you get is number not recognised. so it seems he has removed his sim and using probably another mobile sim. there-fore maybe he cant remember my number. as it would have been on his sim. but he has had my letter on Friday so all he has to do is replace his sim to find my number again. regarding taking him to small claims court. yes i have said this to him in a letter. but like my brother said it would cost you more then. actually the story goes he 1st advertised a Electric Moped on Gumtree. when I saw it and contacted him he said sorry it got sold 5 minutes ago at that time. then a few days later he contacted me to say he has another moped for sale. as he knew i wanted one. but he hadn't placed it on gumtree. so I'm stuck really. I'm just waiting now for a reply from ERider web site what model my moped is and cost of a new battery. probably will have to buy a new box for it too, as if you look at old box there is a black wire what seems to go to what looks like a bike air inlet line. but surely that's a fuse isn't it. what ever happens the battery has to have same connecter as in photo above
Document carefully what he has done to "avoid" you and try in the small claims court, as he has made himself look very "guilty" to my mind with these actions.....
If I remember correctly, the SCC in the UK is not expensive.....even if you lose.....
Also, search on the web for similar cases and what the outcome was, as I would LOVE to hear that you got your money back!
Best wishes and regards
Andy

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
They've removed any reference to the old model 15 now so I can't check why it used to say about the 20 Ah battery. Now the bottom bike model is the model 18 which uses a 48 volt 20 Ah battery.

Clearly E-rider now say the model 15 battery is 48 volt 12 Ah and it looks different from what you've got at present. That size should be good for at least 15 miles, possibly more depending on how many hills are involved.

I've now found a supplier of your exact model as you'll see on the link, though it's out of stock, Ekobikes, and they say its battery is 48 volt 10 Ah and claim 20 to 25 mile range, though I think that is optimistic.

The User manual is on this link, the only useful thing its says is make sure the tyre pressure is 40 lbs per square inch since lower will reduce the range.
Well my electric bike I have besides this ERider moped is a lithium battery 24V 16Ah IM not too bothered about going too far anyway so flecc that 48V 12Ah one would be ok then, well must be if ERider says so. also many many thanks also for fining a manual for the bike just what I need But then like you have said only useful thing is tyre pressure Im still very confused now where you charge up battery as wheeliepete said that 3 pin connector is the discharge port and I can see it charging from that 1 single black wire

Surely I can get a much cheaper 48V 12Ah battery or 20Ah one than paying £320 that's nearly double what I paid for bike

Im very confused now where to charge battery now is it that 3 pin or not

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Document carefully what he has done to "avoid" you and try in the small claims court, as he has made himself look very "guilty" to my mind with these actions.....
If I remember correctly, the SCC in the UK is not expensive.....even if you lose.....
Also, search on the web for similar cases and what the outcome was, as I would LOVE to hear that you got your money back!
Best wishes and regards
Andy

Hi I do appreciate your Help, But I'm too old to mess about with SCC. dont need all the hassle at my age, and I would probably lose, as far as he is concerned I drove away from his house and bike was ok. yeah after 5 bloody miles battery went.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well my electric bike I have besides this ERider moped is a lithium battery 24V 16Ah IM not too bothered about going too far anyway so flecc that 48V 12Ah one would be ok then, well must be if ERider says so. also many many thanks also for fining a manual for the bike just what I need But then like you have said only useful thing is tyre pressure Im still very confused now where you charge up battery as wheeliepete said that 3 pin connector is the discharge port and I can see it charging from that 1 single black wire

Surely I can get a much cheaper 48V 12Ah battery or 20Ah one than paying £320 that's nearly double what I paid for bike

Im very confused now where to charge battery now is it that 3 pin or not
If that connector only has one black wire, it cannot be the one for charging now, so just use the one you've been using for charging as that has worked ok.

Clearly your model 15 originally had a 48 v 10 Ah battery,, probably what you've got in at the moment though not in good health now, which they've now upsized to 48v 12 Ah.

Lithum batteries are expensive so £320 is not unreasonable for a 48 v 12 Ah battery. That's 576 Watt hours, a Bosch 500 Watt hours battery for their e-bike system costs about £450, so you can see that they can be much more expensive. Maybe someone will know of a cheaper one, but it won't be much cheaper and you'll have to sort out all the connectors.

Why not see just how bad your present battery is? Charge it fully and make sure your tyres are up at 40 lbs pressure, soft tyres can drastically shorten range. Then try it out not going far away from home to see how long and how far it runs for. When pulling away, don't wack the throttle fully open since that really drains a battery, just accelerate gently. When up to speed ease off the throttle to maintain the speed with a bit less throttle. Don't ride with the throttle continuously fully open for maximum performance and ease off the throttle when riding downhill. Try to avoid uphill starts, park so you set off downhill. All these things can extend range quite a lot.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
If that connector only has one black wire, it cannot be the one for charging now, so just use the one you've been using for charging as that has worked ok.

Clearly your model 15 originally had a 48 v 10 Ah battery,, probably what you've got in at the moment though not in good health now, which they've now upsized to 48v 12 Ah.

Lithum batteries are expensive so £320 is not unreasonable for a 48 v 12 Ah battery. That's 576 Watt hours, a Bosch 500 Watt hours battery for their e-bike system costs about £450, so you can see that they can be much more expensive. Maybe someone will know of a cheaper one, but it won't be much cheaper and you'll have to sort out all the connectors.

Why not see just how bad your present battery is? Charge it fully and make sure your tyres are up at 40 lbs pressure, soft tyres can drastically shorten range. Then try it out not going far away from home to see how long and how far it runs for. When pulling away, don't wack the throttle fully open since that really drains a battery, just accelerate gently. When up to speed ease off the throttle to maintain the speed with a bit less throttle. Don't ride with the throttle continuously fully open for maximum performance and ease off the throttle when riding downhill. Try to avoid uphill starts, park so you set off downhill. All these things can extend range quite a lot.
Yeah thanks flecc I can just ride the moped up a short road from mine, as its not far to push it back if it go flat. But I will remove left pedal 1st as it keeps banging on my leg. if I have to push it

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yeah thanks flecc I can just ride the moped up a short road from mine, as its not far to push it back if it go flat. But I will remove left pedal 1st as it keeps banging on my leg. if I have to push it
If you try all my tips to get range, don't be surprised if you get really bored riding up and down that road for 8 or more miles!

I'm guessing that when you collected the moped you enthusiastically tried it with full throttle from a standstill and all the time afterwards to see how well it went, only natural, we'd all do that. And the tyres may not have been fully up to pressure.