Eyewear for Cyclists

C

Cyclezee

When it comes to protective equipment I think cycling spectacles or eyewear is just as essential as a good helmet.

They protect the eyes from the strong sunlight, wind, rain flying insects, small stones or dust that can be thrown in a cyclists direction by passing vehicles.

For a couple of years I have a had pair of Oakley specs with a set of interchangeable lenses that were a bit of bargain from eBay at £16, less than the cost of a replacement lens, normally well known brands cost considerably more than that.

They have served me well although due to rough handling one of the removable arms has had to be permanently secured by our old friend epoxy resin adhesive.

In the past I have tried the cheap ones from Aldi or it may have been Lidl which turned out be useless due to the lenses not be secure and falling out.

What do other members use, how practical are they and what is the best value for money?

Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Prescription sun glasses with polarising lenses. They are of course treated anti-scratch and shatter-proof. The coating is at the maximum allowed level for use while driving.

I have another pair which is not road legal for really sunny days. There I go breaking the law again :oops:

C

Cyclezee

Prescription sun glasses with polarising lenses. They are of course treated anti-scratch and shatter-proof. The coating is at the maximum allowed level for use while driving.

I have another pair which is not road legal for really sunny days. There I go breaking the law again :oops:
Kiwi, you are one seriously bad boy:cool:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
When it comes to protective equipment I think cycling spectacles or eyewear is just as essential as a good helmet.

They protect the eyes from the strong sunlight, wind, rain flying insects, small stones or dust that can be thrown in a cyclists direction by passing vehicles.

For a couple of years I have a had pair of Oakley specs with a set of interchangeable lenses that were a bit of bargain from eBay at £16, less than the cost of a replacement lens, normally well known brands cost considerably more than that.

They have served me well although due to rough handling one of the removable arms has had to be permanently secured by our old friend epoxy resin adhesive.

In the past I have tried the cheap ones from Aldi or it may have been Lidl which turned out be useless due to the lenses not be secure and falling out.

What do other members use, how practical are they and what is the best value for money?
I use De Walt or similar safety glasses. Usually have a few pairs in my van.
At less than £5.00 they can be replaced as needed.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I always wear glasses when riding now because of all the low flying bugs along my country lane rides, bad enough with the tiny midges, but there's often a damn great bee bouncing off my face.
I tried many different glasses but have found my two favourites a year or two ago and now use those exclusively.
I have a pair of 720P camera glasses and a pair of "motorcycle wraparound glasses" from Amazon.
The wraparound glasses are really good, costing a tenner, (and still available for that, via http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009LKZTJM.
They are robust, light, comfortable, and protect my eyes with a minimum of wind draughts.
The 720p camera glasses work really well too, and are the ultimate in convenience for recording journeys, the only caveat being the maximum recording time of just over an hour, (internal battery life, no external power possible).
I've tried other camera glasses, but they were all totally useless, as most people also find, because their narrower field of view gives a very jerky and very poor quality video.
These particular ones though, have a very wide 140 degree field of view, giving a much more stable video. If only they also worked via an external battery source, they'd be perfect.
glasses.jpg

Last edited:

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I wouldn't leave home without them. One of my customers recently came in sporting a really cool pair of 30's style motorcycle googles she spotted on ebay.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I suffer from eye watering with wind, especially in cold weather, so even the side open specs style is no use since the wind eddies around the edges makes matters worse than no eye wear.

The only ones that work really well for me are the tiny eyeball enclosing goggles that the roadies wear, but they look ridiculous on an upright sitting utility cyclist.

So my compromise has been a pair of cheap goggles that wrapped around close enough at the sides to do a reasonable job. However for my very local riding now such as shops etc, I just keep the speed down to avoid the need of eye protection.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
There is no reason not to wear protective eye goggles, and literally thousands of reasons to.

(Insert made up story to prove my point)

So if you don't wear any, its just selfish and stubborn.

Reactions: Gringo and flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The guy who rode to the ferry to get (bad) coffee was wearing glasses. No helmet though... His wife didn't seem to mind... :p

Reactions: flecc

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Reactions: Cyclezee and flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I've always managed to make the Aldi glasses last. My current set must be 3 or 4 years old and a bit scratched, but that doesn't seem to make given any less usable.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I use De Walt or similar safety glasses. Usually have a few pairs in my van.
At less than £5.00 they can be replaced as needed.
Same as that. I just buy safety glasses. At roughly a fiver a time, why spend more.

I usually wear yellow in bad light, clear on normal days, and the sunglass version on the rare days that we actually get to see the sun.

Proof to me that they work. This was the pair that I wore in the spill that split the front edge of my helmet.

C

Cyclezee

I've always managed to make the Aldi glasses last. My current set must be 3 or 4 years old and a bit scratched, but that doesn't seem to make given any less usable.
They must have been better than ones that I bought although in fairness I can't remember if they came from Aldi or Lidl:confused:

Reactions: tillson