Failed on my first big hill

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Couldn't possibly read through all 17 pages of this thread,
Obviously not - the bike that couldn't get up the hill was a Wisper, and the other a Shimano Steps.

The Bosch owner on the thread is pleased with his bike.

And where have you got this stuff about the Bosch publicity machine?

Said machine promotes the system as like ordinary cycling, positively not effortless mini-moped riding.

There must be something well-informed and accurate about your reply, but it's escaped me.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Obviously not - the bike that couldn't get up the hill was a Wisper, and the other a Shimano Steps.

The Bosch owner on the thread is pleased with his bike.

And where have you got this stuff about the Bosch publicity machine?

Said machine promotes the system as like ordinary cycling, positively not effortless mini-moped riding.

There must be something well-informed and accurate about your reply, but it's escaped me.
We should also point out to Dave of Kudos fame that the OP is very pleased with his Wisper and now he knows how to use the power has no problems.

Moped riding?

All the best

David

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I shouldn't have been lazy and should have taken in the whole thread.
David (Amps)... Am in China at the moment,it's hot and humid,not nice!!!
Are you intending to attend the Shanghai Cycle Show,early May.
At the Canton Fair,in the bike section,I saw one bike described as Wisper frame,I suppose that is flattery,having a frame shape named after you.
Good luck
KudosDave

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I was called thick which earned him second spot in the ignored users list behind smart rider...

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Good luck Dave (Kudos) I don't envy you at all! The humidity is awful.

Not at the Shanghai Show this year I need to go in June and don't want to do the trip twice!

I've always been very flattered that people actually copied the frame we designed nearly ten years ago, they were never quite as good as ours but it was good to know we had made an impact. A lot of companies are still using it! Ahhh, simpler times... probably before Bosch had even considered ebikes! To have people actually calling it the Wisper frame is fantastic, I love it!! :)

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Keep safe.

All the best

David

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Wisper logo with flag.jpg Yep! :)

Well mine did! Do you remember the anger?

Decided to drop it in the end, it has since been adopted by at least two other UK manufacturers who OEM in Asia.

Reactions: RobF

Jason Scott

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2014
Sorry,if you or partner were sold a Bosch crank drive bike for hill climbing without a lot of effort then you were badly advised
KudosDave
This is not my experience. Riding up the steep hills of Plymouth requires no effort on my part other than turning the pedals in the lowest gear. Sure I might be reduced to 7-9mph but I'm still getting to where I need to go, and overtaking standard bikes.

paul20v

Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2015
This is not my experience. Riding up the steep hills of Plymouth requires no effort on my part other than turning the pedals in the lowest gear. Sure I might be reduced to 7-9mph but I'm still getting to where I need to go, and overtaking standard bikes.
I don't want too jump on this but as above if you want the bosch crank drive too work for you then it will make very little effort in the right gear on even the steepest of hills and where I live hills are the majority not minority
All thou I must admit I like the grind and very rarely use turbo on my cx mostly eco or tour
I do appreciate fitness has a lot to do with it as well .

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2016
Anybody had yam and Bosch..tried both, could tell difference( just)..
The Bosch unit on Raleigh Motus ( borrowed) is not as powerful as Bosch on wife's bike...which apart from starting 180(?) degrees later than my yam is very similar.( mine has much lower bottom 3 gears and slightly higher top) Hers has 8 speed hub, which is great to use..

Like to compare sduro with xduro ???

Adaptability of all cd,s I,ve tried is great..feeling tired, choose a low gear and just take your time...keep pedal pressure low and current is limited too..less current with respect to time...
If you are feeling strong, higher gear, up pedal pressure and current increases..higher current with respect to time but pretty similar current used getting up hill.
Tried 3 ways of getting up a big climb, each method used virtually same current.
Different effort on my part and different times but each climb used 12%..

Last edited:

Plasmadaddy

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2015
London, UK
I've ridden both SDuro and XDuro in recent months. There's certainly no noticeable difference in power kicking in, motor comes in as soon as pedals are turned on both systems.

I never used the front derailleur on the SDuro, always stuck to the big ring even on 12% climbs so never felt there was much point in a double chain ring on the front. Admittedly I'm pretty bike fit so that helps.

As for power and hills etc, both systems have allowed me to ride the same routes with the same ease. I quite like a work out although the big hills always persuaded me to take the car on the really cold days! It's a 24 mile commute after all!

I've found myself riding mostly in tour mode on the Bosch whereas I estas upping the mode on the Yamaha most of the time so I guess that may say something.

Other than the displays themselves I couldn't really say that one system was better than the other. Certainly the Bosch displays (Intuvia and Nyon) are more robust and better looking than the Yamaha display.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Not followed all this thread because it did go off at a bit of a tangent. All I would say is that is one mean hill to finish a ride on. It makes me sweat going up in the car. Maybe when you've mastered that you can have a go at Rowsley Bar

regards gray