Falco e-motors kickstarter project

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Yeah right, why didn't you say it in the first time, LOL?
the voltage does not matter much, people compare price/battery capacity.
The main point of the kickstarter project is about linking the controller to a computing platform. As I said, you only have to control the throttle. It's not difficult or expensive to do. Someone could probably knock it up in a few hours with one of those Dallas Semi webservers on a stick that have already serial port and wifi.

Rakesh Dhawan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 8, 2014
This was one of the decisions we made after some thought.

We have spent good part of last one year talking to a lot of our end customers. One of the things we have done in our classic system is to show battery voltage on the console

Our fully charged 10S battery shows a peak voltage of 42V with older Panasonic cells. And a lot of customers wonder why they have got a 42V battery when they ordered a 36V battery.

With the new APP, you are able to see the battery voltage and with the new Panasonic cells, this is how we have decided to position it.

The Kickstarter specifications are quite accurate.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The Kickstarter specifications are quite accurate.
And from your previous post page 2
As for the batteries, all I can say is that the figures are not consistent throughout the Kickstarter page and, well, sorry you're right, the math doesn't add up. There is clearly a typo or someone has not filled in the page correctly. However, if you don't want to trust...

We are candid and don't want to trust. Having faith is the job of sky pilots
There are a number of engineers here.

We will recommend products we trust and have evidence of performance.
Your evidence is close to woo at times with changing stories.

Rakesh Dhawan

Sep 8, 2014
D8Veh:

We welcome your opinion and respect it.

Our positioning will not change.

One thing which would be of interest is that if you have an industry standard which defines battery pack specifications.

D

Deleted member 4366

D8Veh:

We welcome your opinion and respect it.

Our positioning will not change.

One thing which would be of interest is that if you have an industry standard which defines battery pack specifications.
You don't need an industry standard. Everybody knows what a 36v battery is. Everybody knows what a 48v battery is. When somebody comes along and says that they have a 50v battery in their bike, you'd expect it to be higher than a 48v one, not lower. This is the whole point I was making about your advertising stuff earlier in the thread. Nothing is quite what it seems. When people realise that your 50v battery is actually a 44v one, they have every right to question the values you give for torque, speed, power and other things, which are presumably embellished in the same way.

Rakesh Dhawan

Sep 8, 2014
Would you mind discussing Bosch and BionX with their claims or do you not wish to level the playing field?

If you have courage discuss the innovations and the engineering.

Celebrate the advances and ability to challenge the most established brands. That is leadership.

We will continue our leadership of technological advances.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
very interesting interview.
In it, Rakesh seems to oversell his kit a bit. He claimed that his kit can convert any bike, weighs 5.5lbs, max. range 100+ miles.
That's just not believable.

C

Cyclezee

very interesting interview.
In it, Rakesh seems to oversell his kit a bit. He claimed that his kit can convert any bike, weighs 5.5lbs, max. range 100+ miles.
That's just not believable.
Yes, clearly there are some errors, lbs should have been Kg.
As for oversell, you would hardly expect him not to hype his own product.

As for range, it is limitless.....without battery power;)

D

Deleted member 4366

Rakesh, You can rest assured that if I find Bosch or Bionx making exaggerated claims about their products, I'll do my best to make sure our forum members aren't suckered by them. The same as your claims in the above Bloomberg video, where you put a slide that says that your kit is 5.5 pounds and it can do 100 miles plus. Theses are performance characteristics which we know and understand, so we can see that they're a total exaggeration. How, therefore, can we trust any of your other claims about your product? All I ask is that you get real about it so that we can discuss its good points.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
It would be interesting for someone to do an endurance run in a large circus ring, going round and round with no pedal assistance (with and without the extension lead plugged into the center of the ring.)

D

Deleted member 4366

It takes roughly 150w to do 15mph on flat ground on an MTB. So it's a fairly easy calculation. If your system were 100% efficient, you'd be able to do 10 miles for every 100wh of battery. Unfortunately, nothing is 100% efficient. A good hub-motor tuned to give optimum efficiency at 15mph would be about 75% efficient overall, so that means 7.5 miles per 100wh of battery.

There's only a few percentage points difference in efficiency between an average hub-motor (or crank motor)and the best.

Some bikes have very clever control systems that attempt to optimise the motor/rider combination to keep the motor's contribution more efficient, which can make some difference, but I would expect the difference to be massive.

The differences in range that an individual gets is mainly down to how well the power system matches the way the he rides and the type of rides..

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The differences in range that an individual gets is mainly down to how well the power system matches the way the he rides and the type of rides..
that's a good point to remember.
Fat hub drives suit fat riders, SWX for small ladies, CD for light cyclists.
I wonder where the Falco kit fits in.

Rakesh Dhawan

Sep 8, 2014
5.5 lbs. is an error, of course. I am not sure where they got that from. We have done in the endurance tests with batteries in a set up as described (indoor stadium, ideal range conditions, road tires etc.).

Do look at the spec sheets from Bosch and BionX and let me know which specs do you think are specmanship and which are correct.

Their noise level will drown all of our voices.

And where do we encourage innovation. Where? How? When?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that's not an excuse for inaccuracies.
Where the slide appears, it could mislead potential investors, you see the problem.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you are an engineer by training, you must have spotted the error.

http://www.strategictechgroup.com/aboutus.html

I would have expected a better explanantion than this. If the slide had shown 15.5 pounds instead of 5.5 pounds, would you just ignore it?

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
right...and there isn't any commercial connections between "experts" on this forum and companies here? hmmm, I think the word ironic doesn't scratch the surface. I'd say the pot is calling the kettle black, but even that wouldn't really do justice to it.

C

Cyclezee

right...and there isn't any commercial connections between "experts" on this forum and companies here? hmmm, I think the word ironic doesn't scratch the surface. I'd say the pot is calling the kettle black, but even that wouldn't really do justice to it.
Can anyone hear tumbleweedo_O