First look at the new Woosh 26 x 4 Rio

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
For the money you won't be able to keep them in stock.
I'm going with this quote above.

A few people in my workplace, who granted know very little about bikes, rave about the fat bikes. They just 'want one'.

I suspect that they will sell well at this price point and the snow's a-coming! You should show some snow busting pics of them ploughing through a few drifts. Throw in a couple of sand dunes if you like. Or, at least an autumn windfall of leaves. That wouldn't do them any harm. Fat tyres do well in snow and leaves. ;)

I'll ask the question that they'll all be asking later.. Could it be 'tweaked' up a bit for 'off road' use? :oops:

Whatever, I still like it, and yes I'd consider getting one if I needed one, but not at the mo. I'm already ready for the snow this year. :)

DSC00444.JPG

rio.jpg

If fat bikes did appeal, then I wouldn't want the rack, side stand or mudguards.

I'm sure that it would still be great fun to ride though. :)

Eddie likes clean lines. Maybe consider going the other way. Fat, with all the gubbins to carry a load = strength.

You could show some pics of it going cross country fully loaded with camouflaged panniers and a guy with a rucksack riding it 'Gung ho!'. Then setting up camp, dropping the gear off before riding the now stripped bike downhill, through the trees, over a mountain. Fat bikes! The outdoor choice. Handy for campers, backpackers, woodsmen and serial killers. :D

Last edited:

JimRides

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2016
Liverpool
Most of the fat bikes I've seen out and about have probably never been off the pavement/tarmac - the same way loads of people in the mountain bike boom years ago owned one that never saw a splash of mud, and the way people have always bought "athletics" clothes that they'll never do any exercise in!

I think the bike looks cool, btw :)

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
the same way loads of people in the mountain bike boom years ago owned one that never saw a splash of mud, and the way people have always bought "athletics" clothes that they'll never do any exercise in!

I think the bike looks cool, btw :)

Yet they still buy them don't they. :)

These will sell and, if you look at the people that 'liked' them, with a thumbs up in the first post, they are generally the outdoor, athletic, rugged and handsome types. The ones that get out there into the tundra. Out amidst the forests of the Taiga, knee deep in mud, blood and guts! Warriors, unafraid of the naysayers that point and say "My, what big wheels you have Grandpa!" :p

"All the better to reap the fat whirlwind my dear!" :mad:

D

Deleted member 4366

I guess fat bikes will be like 4x4 cars. They sell in thousands to people that want to boast about their off-road (and snow) capabilities, but nearly all of them will be ridden on flat tarmac, where you only get all the disadvantages.

Having said that, one time my car got stuck when I had to park it on soft ground. Luckily, a guy with 4WD saw me in my predicament and relished the once in a lifetime chance to prove that it was worth buying said vehicle, so he towed me out.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I am going to fit hydraulic brakes, GXP crankset to this bike and get rid of the white writing on the tyres.

compare to an MTB: price and power are about same, it's just a fat Karoo. What disadvantages?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I still have about $100 on my budget. Thinking of changing stem, crankset and pedals for something lighter, and perhaps enough left in the kitty to spend on lighter tyres or upgrade the brakes to hydraulic. Can't have both.
Disadvantages - Personally, as a bike riding consumer, I'd like it to have a basic suspension seat-post, a battery mudguard, a gel saddle and some half decent lightweight pedals.

seatpost.jpg downtube guard.jpg pedals.jpgGel seat.jpg

Some other suggestions.

adjuster.jpg bag.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: trex

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Trex....good luck,I decided against making fat bikes,it just seems that there is a lot of interest,both good and bad responses, but not sure how many will open their wallets...
If you dont have to make many it should be a fun 'niche' product.
In a similar way,we bought a few of the Kudos 'Miami',sold a couple so far,really just fun but it wont run the company boat!!!
Its nice to see some variety away from the Dutch style step throughs that are everywhere at cycle shows.
I would keep it all black and moody.
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that fat bike comes from the same factory that made the Karoo.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Trex....good luck,I decided against making fat bikes,it just seems that there is a lot of interest,both good and bad responses, but not sure how many will open their wallets...
that's always the case. If I build a bike that is based on a successful formulae, the bike will sell a bit but because I don't add anything to the market, there is no USP. Nobody targets fat bikes at the commuter market which I know well, may be there is a USP after all.
Question for you KD, do you think there is a point to have carbon belt drive on a 20" folder? target price is £999.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
are we talking about the knight rider's colour scheme?

Big Malky

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2015
Looks good to me. Will need to replace my mtb soon as son has his eyes on it!
Possibly through CTW next year? So good to come in at sub999.
Would not need rack or mudguards.

Reactions: trex

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Would not need rack or mudguards.
I said the same thing Malky. :)

Then, after taking the weather into account, going cross country after a downpour was no fun with mud in your eyes and every item of clothing, not to mention the bike, being absolutely spattered, with a wet ass, I put some on in the end. Much cleaner with mudguards and a downtube battery mudguard (shown in the pic above).

The bike already had a rack on. I just added a bikebag to it. It's surprising how much gear it'll hold.

Hi-vis wet-proof jacket.
Headtorch.
Dog lead.
Winter gloves.
Multi-tools.
Umbrella.
Clear glasses or shades (depending on which ones I'm wearing).
Sweatshirt (Unless I'm wearing one).
Zip ties.
Puncture kit (Skabs).
Pump.
Bottle of water for the dog.

The downtube battery mudguard is on my other bike. The one in the video has the battery on the rack.

DSC00282.JPG

DSC00915.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: IR772

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I guess fat bikes will be like 4x4 cars. They sell in thousands to people that want to boast about their off-road (and snow) capabilities, but nearly all of them will be ridden on flat tarmac, where you only get all the disadvantages.
I probably know of about 15 people that own fat bikes, and not one of them ride the bikes on the road, so I'd say that on that basis that your guess is completely wrong.

Having said that, none of those bikes are electric pedal assist, so who knows.

As said before they aren't my thing and don't appeal. I also think that the use is too restrictive in respect of possibly making one your sole bike. I'm all being proved wrong about that though. :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing