Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
  • Agree
  • :D
Reactions: LeighPing and derf

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments. I was hoping that someone would see it as a potential commuter bike on bumpy lanes so thank you kangooroo.
The fork is rigid. Avid disc brakes front and rear. I did tell them to install soft grips and thumb throttle but they forgot. On the production bikes, the el Fatboy will be replaced by Rio. I'll also get the crankset upgraded.
Will take on board what is said. I will have to confirm all the details with the factory (the same that make the Karoo) sometime next week. The weak Pound does not help, it's hard to stick to £1,000 C2W limit.
well, strictly FWIW (I have pretty weird, often bad taste), the part of me that used to commute all seasons in the UK likes it, lots. what I remember most from then is crashing through wet potholes on very narrow edges of B-road in darkness with lorries barrelling past me. a bike that would soak that up and take it in its stride at higher speeds (20mph or more) would have been perfect. But there is a major problem: it needs fat marathon plus' (I remember lots of glass as well and a puncture in -5C on a busy B road at 7AM in the winter in the UK is enough to trigger a mental health crisis) which don't exist as yet

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
I have a owned a Surly Moonlander with 5" tyres. Huge fun, great for riding on my local shingle beaches at Hurst Castle. Lot of drag on smooth tarmac though.
4" is better but still draggy on asphalt, ok on gravel.
3" you should consider as a really good compromise.
Guess power assist means no need to worry about drag! 3"x27.5 is very popular just now.

Price is good. There seems to be strong demand with high prices and experienced fat bikers who have had to swop to electric are hugely enjoying them.

Brian
yikes so fat tyres are draggy? in my fantasies they were something like big apples. no such luck?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
  • :D
Reactions: D8ve

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Gosh, an American in Leominster.

Leominster is a city in Worcester County, Massachusetts, United States. It is the second-largest city in Worcester County, with a population of 40,759 at the 2010 census. Leominster is located north of Worcester and west of Boston

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I'll get it at the end of the month. Will change the brakes to HDB and try with different tyres and controllers to see how she goes.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
I'll get it at the end of the month. Will change the brakes to HDB and try with different tyres and controllers to see how she goes.

A few photos of you off roading in the forests and tracks on the new baby, would look good in the MTB thread a place where you are absent from!

If you want to come to Leominster to test it there are plenty of places round here.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Leominster is a city in Worcester County, Massachusetts, United States. It is the second-largest city in Worcester County, with a population of 40,759 at the 2010 census. Leominster is located north of Worcester and west of Boston
I stand corrected.

• Agree
Reactions: IR772

Lochan

Just Joined
May 29, 2017
Highlands
Hi trex, what a great looking bike the 'Rio' is, I had been planning to buy a Bali as you stopped the Kreiger but think I much prefer the Rio.
Glad you went for non suspension forks too as the tyres will do the work.
Damn shame you're so far away from me in the northern highlands.
I'm a strong believer of try before you buy.
I'll try very hard to get over to southend at some point.
Keep 'em coming