Fitting Marathon + method

trickletreat

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
I have just found this video on another forum, and it may help anyone who doesn't use this method here.

I have had nagging doubts after being told of peoples problems with removing/refitting, as I run these including the atb M+.

I bit the bullet after watching the video in the link, and removed/refitted the tyres from 20" and 26" rims in 20mins. I have poor strength in hands and upper body, but still managed this without levers or ties.

YouTube - How to fit a Marathon Plus Tyre.mp4

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I have just found this video on another forum, and it may help anyone who doesn't use this method here.

I have had nagging doubts after being told of peoples problems with removing/refitting, as I run these including the atb M+.

I bit the bullet after watching the video in the link, and removed/refitted the tyres from 20" and 26" rims in 20mins. I have poor strength in hands and upper body, but still managed this without levers or ties.

YouTube - How to fit a Marathon Plus Tyre.mp4
Good video , although you`ll notice he was fitting a narrow light tyre that was carefully selected as a perfectly in shape tyre on a non electric hubbed rim. When you do it with a 26" MTB tyre on a heavy electric hubbed rim that is more often than not very distorted and misshapen and possibly the electric feed cable still attached then things get a touch harder. I`m not saying they are very hard but they certainly ain`t all as easy as that one.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
That YouTube video won't work for me; in fact lately only about 50% or less of them will play. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling Adobe Flash Player which has always done the trick in the past, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I can get it to work in Windows XP Mode; normally I use Windows 7 (it makes no difference if I use Firefox or IE).

Last edited:

trickletreat

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
Good video , although you`ll notice he was fitting a narrow light tyre that was carefully selected as a perfectly in shape tyre on a non electric hubbed rim. When you do it with a 26" MTB tyre on a heavy electric hubbed rim that is more often than not very distorted and misshapen and possibly the electric feed cable still attached then things get a touch harder. I`m not saying they are very hard but they certainly ain`t all as easy as that one.
I obviously like a challenge, as I said I tried this out on 20" and 26" rims, the 26" was a M+ ATB tyre! I have just removed the rear 26" wheel, fitted with a Heinzmann hub, torque arm, and cable. Did the same with tyre and refitted. Took 25 mins in total, and the weight of the motor, pressing the hub to the floor helped press the beads into the channel; took three attempts working up from both sides pushing bead in before I was able to roll bead off the top of rim.

The rim is in good nick, and wheel true,so will have helped, but until now I had never removed a tyre without levers, let alone one as potentially problematic as the M+ ATB!

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Thanks trickletreat. I have these on my brompton. I had to admit defeat and take it to the bike shop to get them to do it. Next time I'll give this a go

trickletreat

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
Thanks trickletreat. I have these on my brompton. I had to admit defeat and take it to the bike shop to get them to do it. Next time I'll give this a go
No problem, just thought if anyone had the same doubts as me, then its worth having a go after watching the video. The owner of my local bike shop had tried to explain this method to me when I asked him about heavy duty tyre levers...he said not to bother, just to take a wheel and tyre in and he would show me. How's the electric trike?

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have fitted them to my Tasman and my Brompton myself.

On advice here, on the 28" wheel, I got a first section inside the rims and then fitted a cable tie to keep it in place. A certain amount of violence and a gradual 'rolling' action with a final push from a plastic tyre lever finished it off and armed with this experience the second one went on in half the time.

The 16" ones were much easier, just the 'rolling action and a final push with the tyre lever doing the trick.

I think that the violence combined with a great deal of swearing and cursing was the main thing ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Someone please now tell me how to get them off!!!!111!!11!!
Fully deflate, then work the tyre diametrically opposite the valve into the well of the rim and if necessary tie or tape it in place there. The use tyre levers alongside the valve area to get the beading over the rim at that point.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
That YouTube video won't work for me; in fact lately only about 50% or less of them will play. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling Adobe Flash Player which has always done the trick in the past, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?
Well, just in case anybody else had the same problem as me (presumably not), the solution was to install an older version (9 instead of the current 10) of Adobe Flash Player. It seems that Version 10 doesn't like Windows 7.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Nice demonstration. With my Brompton I found that the weight of the motor hub and the dangling cable added difficulty to maneuvering the tyre into place (question of balance and movement). The well of the Sun Ringle CR18 16" rims is not very deep, and the rim tape keeps moving sideways when the tyre bead is forced down there. That's what made it difficult for me. My latest trick to fit the Schwalbe Marathon Plus on my 16" wheels was to use a folding wooden garden chair (no elbow rests), as it offered a stable stand for the wheel, with grooves, good grip, and a locking position to prevent the wheel from moving all over the place when dealing with the last bit.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Fully deflate, then work the tyre diametrically opposite the valve into the well of the rim and if necessary tie or tape it in place there. The use tyre levers alongside the valve area to get the beading over the rim at that point.
Thanks, I'll have a practice when I get my wheel back.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Well, just in case anybody else had the same problem as me (presumably not), the solution was to install an older version (9 instead of the current 10) of Adobe Flash Player. It seems that Version 10 doesn't like Windows 7.
Adobe Flash Player 10 works fine for me with Windows 7 (32bit) and Firefox 3.6.6, or IE8, so your problem is elsewhere (unless you are running 64bit - I haven't tested on that yet.

Colin

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Adobe Flash Player 10 works fine for me with Windows 7 (32bit) and Firefox 3.6.6, or IE8, so your problem is elsewhere (unless you are running 64bit - I haven't tested on that yet.
I tried all sorts of things, and, since what I did works, I'm not looking any further (my Win7 is 32bit, but Professional Edition, not that I would have expected that to make a difference).

On the actual subject of this thread, I have had to repair a couple of punctures in my M+ 20" tyres, one front, one rear with a hub motor, and though I was full of foreboding beforehand, actually found them no more difficult than any other repairs. I used plastic tyre levers in the usual way, and did not have to resort to straps or cable ties, rather to my surprise!

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Out of interest are the regular marathon tyres as tricky as the marathon plus?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
On Sun 16" rims most definatley yes.

On other rims not really but then neither are +s on larger rims.

Regards

Jerry

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
No problem, just thought if anyone had the same doubts as me, then its worth having a go after watching the video. The owner of my local bike shop had tried to explain this method to me when I asked him about heavy duty tyre levers...he said not to bother, just to take a wheel and tyre in and he would show me. How's the electric trike?
The bad news is I have given up on the trike and will try to sell it. The good news is that I have a rolhoff equipped flyer on order :D. Thanks for asking

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well, I've been patiently waiting for someone to spot how the chap in the video in the first post actually got it wrong and made things more difficult for himself, but it seems no-one did.

His mistake was to start by putting the tyre in at the valve first, quite wrong. The valve prevents the tyre beads seating right into the well at the centre of the rim, resulting in greater difficulty in getting the opposite side on.

With any tyre including Marathon Plus, always start opposite the valve so that the tyre there can be seated right into the well, making getting the valve area tyre bead in last much easier.

To get tyres off, do the opposite, starting at the valve area.

Last edited:

trickletreat

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
Well, I've been patiently waiting for someone to spot how the chap in the video in the first post actually got it wrong and made things more difficult for himself, but it seems no-one did.

His mistake was to start by putting the tyre in at the valve first, quite wrong. The valve prevents the tyre beads seating right into the well at the centre of the rim, resulting in greater difficulty in getting the opposite side on.

With any tyre including Marathon Plus, always start opposite the valve so that the tyre there can be seated right into the well, making getting the valve area tyre bead in last much easier.

To get tyres off, do the opposite, starting at the valve area.
Thanks for the tip, I can see that every little bit helps, especially when doing this without tools.