Forthcoming EU Red Tape Bonfire

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
After inviting suggestions for getting rid of EU Red Tape , Jacob Rees Mogg has narrowed down 2000 suggestions to 9 . These will be taken forward to get rid of` hated `EU red tape . One of the 9 is to scrap EU power limits on Electric Bikes .

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
here is the full list of 9 potential brexit benefits:

1. Encourage fracking, shortcut rules on planning consultation via emergency act.
2. Abolish the EU regulations that restrict vacuum cleaner power to 1400 watts.
3. Remove precautionary principle restrictions (for instance) on early use of experimental treatments for seriously ill patients and GM crops.
4. Abolish rules around the size of vans that need an operator's licence.
5. Abolish EU limits on electrical power levels of electrically assisted pedal cycles.
6. Allow certain medical professionals, such as pharmacists and paramedics, to qualify in three years.
7. Remove requirements for agency workers to have all the attributes of a permanent employee.
8. Simplify the calculation of holiday pay (eg 12.07 percent of pay) to make it easier for businesses to operate.
9. Reduce requirements for businesses to conduct fixed wire testing and portable application testing.

what do you think?

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Apart from the Ebike suggestions I forwarded , I am disappointed that Creosote is not in there . Never has there been so many rotten fences and posts since it was banned for sale to the public in small quantities . Water based preservatives are useless from my experience .

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Apart from the Ebike suggestions I forwarded , I am disappointed that Creosote is not in there . Never has there been so many rotten fences and posts since it was banned for sale to the public in small quantities . Water based preservatives are useless from my experience .
Which is the least useless? I need something for the shed...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
1. Encourage fracking, shortcut rules on planning consultation via emergency act.
Thereby abominably poisoning everything

People will just vacuum for longer, so what's the point in restricting power?

3. Remove precautionary principle restrictions (for instance) on early use of experimental treatments for seriously ill patients and GM crops.
What could possibly go wrong? (Apart from every living thing on the planet becoming grey goo)

Yes they should be driven with much less skill than presently

5. Abolish EU limits on electrical power levels of electrically assisted pedal cycles.
There's a cargo and people transport revolution right there! Forget that e-scooter idiocy Schapps. About 5kw please...

6. Allow certain medical professionals, such as pharmacists and paramedics, to qualify in three years.
Those people will do a far better job knowing less.

7. Remove requirements for agency workers to have all the attributes of a permanent employee.
Back to the old days, when everyone was happy.

8. Simplify the calculation of holiday pay (eg 12.07 percent of pay) to make it easier for businesses to operate.
I favour 12.08 percent, every little counts.

9. Reduce requirements for businesses to conduct fixed wire testing and portable application testing.
Increasing the risk of electrical fires can only help the planet - fewer people.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

what do you think?
Lots of risks in some of those, apart from anything else getting rid of rules draws attention to things people can get away with that they weren't aware of before. E-scooters for example.

Actually his item 5:

"Abolish EU limits on electrical power levels of electrically assisted pedal cycles."

Is not original, it was in fact an EU measure. A few years ago the EU Parliament, having debated it, recommended it to the EU commission, saying that so long as there is an assist speed limit, the power required should be left to the designer.

The EU commission, 28 ex politicians, one from each member country, rejected the proposal. Once again politicians being our worst enemies.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
guerney to answer your question I found the Lidl stuff slightly better than the other much touted preservatives . Don`t fall for the CREOCOTE nonsense , it has the smell but not the lasting quality . Creosote use for Amateurs was banned by the EU in 2003 . Farmers/Professionals can purchase it in 25 Litre minimum quantities for £38.10 plus Vat . To prove you are a Farmer you could purchase a Lamb Castrating Ring on the same Order for £8.99 , it might work .

• :D
  • Informative
Reactions: Woosh and guerney

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Guerney said of Woosh's post number 3. Remove precautionary principle restrictions (for instance) on early use of experimental treatments for seriously ill patients and GM crops.

"What could possibly go wrong? (Apart from every living thing on the planet becoming grey goo)"

Sounds good to me, making earth like nearly every other planet, so returning it to astronomical normal from earth's local perversion that is biology. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Guerney said of Woosh's post number 3. Remove precautionary principle restrictions (for instance) on early use of experimental treatments for seriously ill patients and GM crops.

"What could possibly go wrong? (Apart from every living thing on the planet becoming grey goo)"

Sounds good to me, making earth like nearly every other planet, so returning it to astronomical normal from earth's local perversion that is biology. ;)
I have been waiting for years to see the proof that GM is better than simple horticultural selection.
As far as I am aware, GM gives manufacturers the ability to stop farmers propagate the seeds themselves and force them to continue buying the GM seeds from them.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have been waiting for years to see the proof that GM is better than simple horticultural selection.
As far as I am aware, GM gives manufacturers the ability to stop farmers propagate the seeds themselves and force them to continue buying the GM seeds from them.
Monsanto will be lobbying hard. Bloody evil.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Monsanto will be lobbying hard. Bloody evil.
that's the problem with JRM's list.
JRM is the minister for unleashing brexit benefits but most of the ideas he came up with smell of lobbyism.
My suggestion for him would be to cut red tape on community solar farms (1MW or less) to deal with the high cost of energy.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney and flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
that's the problem with JRM's list.
JRM is the minister for unleashing brexit benefits but most of the ideas he came up with smell of lobbyism.
My suggestion for him would be to cut red tape on community solar farms (1MW or less) to deal with the high cost of energy.
Do you recall ever lobbying for point 5. on that list?

Given all the interminable furore over Brexit and the fanfare about this impending "Red Tape Bonfire", I'm amused that it's such a tiny list! That's no bonfire, it's barely a candle...

Last edited:
Reactions: StuartsProjects

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
guerney to answer your question I found the Lidl stuff slightly better than the other much touted preservatives . Don`t fall for the CREOCOTE nonsense , it has the smell but not the lasting quality . Creosote use for Amateurs was banned by the EU in 2003 . Farmers/Professionals can purchase it in 25 Litre minimum quantities for £38.10 plus Vat . To prove you are a Farmer you could purchase a Lamb Castrating Ring on the same Order for £8.99 , it might work .
Thank you, I'll try Lidl's "Creosote" on my shed... it's a bit late TBH, but after it's applied I'll patch where my foot went through rotting boards. I'll send the castration ring to Boris Johnson.

Reactions: flash

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
what do you think?
Is that it?
I think the pro-Brexit Sun readers* and Rees-Mogg have laid bare the vast breadth of their own stupidity and small-mindedness.

Where's the big picture? The real benefits? Let's hear them.

* (the source of the suggestions I believe)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Reactions: POLLY

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
While Labour are so muddled, Tories led by anyone else would win