Freego raptor or another ...advice pls

Oldgitst

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 10, 2015
Hey all, great forum....
SO I know very little about ebikes, and rearly would like some help here.
I basically cycle 2-3 miles to work and then back, 1 very steep hill, the rest flat road etc ...
I love the fitness side and won't be giving up my normal bike BUT a couple of days a week I want something a bit easier.... I think I've narrowed it down to the following and would love some input....
Freego raptor - can get one for £689
Greenedge Cs2 - £649
OR the Gtech ebike for £995

Will gears be better for going faster over the single speeds ?

Any help appreciated muchly
Thanks
Og

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
It's a pity Freego no longer contribute on these forums. David from Amps had a big part in the Raptor design and no doubt would comment on what a bargain that price is.

Reactions: Emo Rider

Oldgitst

Dec 10, 2015
Cheers fellas, another one on the list woosh ... Think I may ditch the Gtech ....

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Raptor is light and simple for an ebike, but it is also light assist.

You will be doing a fair bit of pedalling up the steep hill on the commute.

That may suit you, so the Raptor could be a very good choice.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Looking objectively at the Raptor and the Karoo I do not have a preference. They are both bikes that do what it says on the lid. It depends on the users needs and wants. The Raptor is only 14kg and a blast to ride with or without power and has 15 miles of range with the single battery. Excellent geometry and super rigid frame and wheels allow it to fly. The Karoo does offer more gears and greater range. It is a bit more pricey and heavier. I have not ridden the Karoo so perhaps some could add their comments on its ride quality.

The only other considerations would be upkeep and maintenance, the Raptor wins with the single gear, simple caliper brakes (although the mechanical disc brakes are my preference) and ease of removing and fitting rear wheel when you have a flat. The next would be warranty followed by how close you are to the dealer if issues arise. A test ride on both is worth thousands of words here in the forum. Hope this helps

Reactions: JuicyBike

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
There is an 11 A version of the Raptor and for 199€ the brakes can be swapped for Magura hydraulics which are lighter than and just as powerful as mechanical disks.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
anotherkiwi, on this type of frame, you either have cantilever brakes or disc brakes. Correct me if I am wrong, I don't think you can mount Magura rim brakes onto the bosses for cantilever.
The Karoo is vastly better equipped IMHO, the brakes on the Karoo are Avids on 180mm rotors that stop the bike with minimal effort.

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I basically cycle 2-3 miles to work and then back, 1 very steep hill, the rest flat road
Just how long and how steep is that hill?
2-3 miles is quite a short distance and you sound quite fit (dare I ask your size).

You originally asked after just 3 bikes, but if we knew where you lived then we might point you to somewhere you could actually test ride a range of bikes, which would be very wise...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thanks for the correction I modified the price of the brake conversion for hydraulic cantis. There is a huge weight savings with hydraulics if you are aiming at staying below 15 kg. My next build will have hydraulic rim brakes saving unsprung weight in the front wheel and almost 1 kg in weight overall.

+ The stopping power is fabulous
- brake linings wear faster than disk pads
- rim wears instead of disk

Swapping out brake linings is easy and cheap - 3.95€ after 2000 km use for me this week on the back, the Maguras on the front are still good for another 500 km.
I do need a new front rim but the original one was a cheap Decathlon single wall rim and always on the list of "things to upgrade".

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
You are OK with fitting standard HB to you bike because you don't have a throttle. I helped speccing the Karoo. The Karoo has a throttle, therefore necessitates brake cutouts. Tektro make hydraulic e-brakes in China but not to fit cantis.

Oldgitst

Dec 10, 2015
Hey guys, some excellent advice :) , juicybike, in answer to your questions.... I am just under 6ft, 11.5 stone and fairly fit.
I am intending to carry on cycling on my normal bike 3 days of the week - I want an Ebike for the fun and ease for couple days or when rearly windy... the hill is very steep but only approx. 150 yds long and I can do easy enough on normal bike low gear... I'm quite tempted by the cs2 cos of the mountain type wheels / ability plus its throttle lever but I also like the freego and the karoo too now, I suppose the more the assist the better in terms of a difference to my normal bike.... ... I live near Felixstowe and don't think theres much about in way of dealers...
cheers og

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Our local stockist in Felixstowe is Wilco at 31-39 Undercliff Rd West IP112AH, but they only have our Classic step-through. I can get a Sport LITE to them, but you'd need to have a look at that first and let me know if it's of interest.

Otherwise there's an electric bike shop in Dartford (a bit of a distance for you) who have a much wider range of brands available to try - might be well worth a visit.

Throttles are becoming rarer, but ours will still operate up to 15MPH until the law changes in January.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Woosh are in Southend so about 60ish miles ? So not all that far away .

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
It would be a no brainer to me to choose the Karoo over the Raptor....... The Raptor has too small a battery and i wouldn't want to go near any hills with a single speed.
I think the Karoo looks better as well..... but thats subjective.

Oldgitst

Dec 10, 2015
i must admit the woosh Karoo is looking quite a draw for me... I did see a post on its top speed being able to be set via the lcd - one said 20-25kphs another said 31-40 kph ?? can anyone say for sure ?? quite like the idea (when on private land of course) being able to chose ....