Freego raptor or another ...advice pls

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
The Karoo has a throttle, therefore necessitates brake cutouts.
I'm not sure I'd feel safe without the reassurance of the cut-out switches, or have things improved whereby the power cuts instantly the second you ease off the pedals?

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My brake levers are still in the box with the throttle... Never had any problem in 2000 km.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
artstu, I feel a bit protective towards the Karoo because I was involved with its development for a very long time. The new Ounce 245 crankset and semi slick 28mm tyres make riding the bike without power a pleasure, that's also something I wanted to see on Chinese bikes for a very long time. Until now, riding a Chinese bike without power is acceptable but cannot be described as a pleasure. The Avid brakes are definitively an improvement over Tektro Novela and the latter over Zoom. The pads are semi-metallic. Re cadence sensor: the motor dies down as soon as you slow down pedalling and cuts out about a second after you stop. When you start pedalling, the motor starts 90 degrees from starting point. Brake sensors on levers cut the power to the motor instantly, as soon as you blip the levers. The throttle is active on mode 0 on the LCD. Mode 1 to 6 are purely for pedelec. .

Last edited:

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Thanks Trex, they're certainly moving in the right direction. Without riding one I guess it's difficult to understand the way the power cuts out, but thanks for the explanation.

Reactions: Lancslass and trex

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
My husband bought one of these recently (Vita Uno):
http://londonelectricbike.com/electric-bike/vita-uno-26/
He loves the bike and it has already made it with ease up a 3 mile hill where we live. The reason I mention it is because it is within your price range at £695 and it's well equipped at that price.
It's actually a Kudos Cobra, dressed up for London Electric Bike to sell, if you do a search on here you should find plenty of information about the Kudos Cobra.

The Greenedge was another bike that he looked at but there have been a couple of problems reported from new owners on here (again a forum search will lead you to the threads).

The Gtech has just been reduced by £700 which has brought it down into your range but it's the only bike that they produce, they actually manufacture hoovers mainly so you might consider that they have questionable experience and committment to their product compared to the likes of Woosh, Kudos and Juicy Bikes, all of whom have been manufacturing ebikes for several years.

The other bike that hubby has ridden is a Juicy Bike Sport:
https://www.juicybike.co.uk/electric-bikes/sport-click-our-latest-hybrid-ebike
He liked the bike and it went up a very steep hill with ease but he decided on the Vita Uno as he preferred the styling. Juicy Bike have already offered to locate the Juicy Sport Lite for you which is a similar style to the Sport. Bob at Juicy Bikes was a great guy to deal with and I ended up buying my ebike from him. Aftercare has also been super.

Myself and hubby have recently got into the ebike world and I can't recommend highly enough that you listen to the advice of the more experienced folk on this forum, who will help as much as they can.

Reactions: Artstu

Oldgitst

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 10, 2015
thanks for that lancslass, yes ive come to the conclusion that a rush purchase may not be the way to go.... tbh im a bit torn on about 4 bikes... I am wondering if the CS2 mountain bike style may give me a bit more in terms of IF I want to go on slightly more rough rides.... the freego raptor seems very light compared to most the woosh kaloo seems nice and is certainly getting my attention lol.... been riding to work for last 15 years and using a
trek 7.5fx for last 5 or so.... not keen on cycling against the wind but love cycling with it so hoping ebike will give me the feeling of with the wind when im actually against it lol...hope that makes sense lol

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
thanks for that lancslass, yes ive come to the conclusion that a rush purchase may not be the way to go.
I'm sure that time spent listening to the experience folks on here will reward you with the bike that you really want

I am wondering if the CS2 mountain bike style may give me a bit more in terms of IF I want to go on slightly more rough rides
The Vita Uno that I mentioned above will accept mountain bike tyres I'm sure, because the Kudos Cobra from which it derives is a MTB set up. Guys who know better than me will put me right if I'm speaking rubbish.o_O:rolleyes:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
How quickly does the assistance stop then? is there any delay?
Instant on my bike as soon as the pedals stop turning. The motor spins down but stops drawing power.

I unfortunately tested this afternoon a young lady pulled out from a stop sign in front of me. Of course I blocked the brakes and as soon as the back locked up instant stoppy and I almost went over the front. She said sorry and I said those French words you learn referring to her intellectual abilities. No she wasn't on the phone!

Reactions: Artstu

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
ive got a uno but I think you have to consider the availability of spares and in the future the cost of battery replacement. lebc/kudos/woosh are all ok as spares are carried.
and also tech help advice.

like the weight of the raptor but if its cold and windy id think the range would be very limited,

there are quite often ex demo ebikes with warrenty and special offers ie kudos had some Monday I believe some a fair bit cheaper than new

Oldgitst

Dec 10, 2015
Ok, so anyone got any advice on this,,,,
Green edge cs2 is £649
The kudos cobra £200 more.... Is it worth it do you think,,,,
Also presumably the amount of assistance in high if the motors are 250w is presumably the sameish as each other ?
Cheers og

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
at this price level, you pay for the components. Kudos bikes have got some of the best finished frames around. The Cobra has better motor, better fork, beter crankset, better brakes. I don't need to go on, you get the picture.

Oldgitst

Dec 10, 2015
at this price level, you pay for the components. Kudos bikes have got some of the best finished frames around. The Cobra has better motor, better fork, beter crankset, better brakes. I don't need to go on, you get the picture.
Cheers for that, I think I'm down to kudos or the woosh kaloo ...two different bikes and I'm leaning towards the kudos cobra as the normal bike I have is a trek 7.5fx hybrid and I have a giant roam (which is an inbetween mtb and hybrid) .... Shame I can't try them Does the smaller wheel on the cobra make it slower or harder to pedal ? Cheers og

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Cheers for that, I think I'm down to kudos or the woosh kaloo ...two different bikes and I'm leaning towards the kudos cobra as the normal bike I have is a trek 7.5fx hybrid and I have a giant roam (which is an inbetween mtb and hybrid) .... Shame I can't try them Does the smaller wheel on the cobra make it slower or harder to pedal ? Cheers og
You need to test ride,the Woosh Karoo is more of a road sports bike,the Cobra is more of a mountain bike style, but with electrical assist the differences between these bikes becomes muted.
The Cobra is available as an ex-demo,priced at £662.00,, these ex demo bikes are what we use for test rides but many are almost brand new.
Woosh are at Southend,Kudos at Whitstable...not too far apart,the M2 motorway really. Alternatively we have a showroom in the west of London,LEBC at Hampton Wick.
Smaller wheels increase the torque reaction from the motor making uphill progress easier.
KudosDave

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Does the smaller wheel on the cobra make it slower or harder to pedal ? Cheers og
if you are talking about riding without power then the energy efficiency of the drive train should be the most important factor, the size of the wheels is less important. In general, skinny slick tyres win over wide MTB tyres by a large margin, wider bottom bracket (GXP) is stiffer (better) than standard 68mm bracket, external ball bearings better than internal ones, rigid fork saps less power than suspension fork.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
If you are happy to have an ex demo bike the very popular Kudos Tornado or its bigger brother,the Typhoon are on special at £811.00 and £885.00 respectively. They both have the powerful BPM motor.
Many forum members have either of these bikes.
Hope that helps.
KudosDave

Oldgitst

Dec 10, 2015
If you are happy to have an ex demo bike the very popular Kudos Tornado or its bigger brother,the Typhoon are on special at £811.00 and £885.00 respectively. They both have the powerful BPM motor.
Many forum members have either of these bikes.
Hope that helps.
KudosDave
Thanks Dave, I will call you next week, I have noted the vita uno seems the same bike too.... Is the bpm motor only on the two you mention ? What is the diffrence on the cobra motor ? Cheers

Bigdaddyuk666

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2015
Leicestershire
Hey all, great forum....
SO I know very little about ebikes, and rearly would like some help here.
I basically cycle 2-3 miles to work and then back, 1 very steep hill, the rest flat road etc ...
I love the fitness side and won't be giving up my normal bike BUT a couple of days a week I want something a bit easier.... I think I've narrowed it down to the following and would love some input....
Freego raptor - can get one for £689
Greenedge Cs2 - £649
OR the Gtech ebike for £995

Will gears be better for going faster over the single speeds ?

Any help appreciated muchly
Thanks
Og
Greenedge cs2 is a good choice I had one as my first ebike did 1800 miles and enjoyed it but wanted bigger and better lol but for the mileage your talking about it would be right up your alley