Full suspension touring bike with panniers and mud guards

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Hi all,

I’m looking for a 250w full suspension ebike with panniers and mudguards that are fitted from the factory.

The only options I’ve seen are:

Reise and Muller Delite
Flyer uproc3 4.15

Both are very expensive.

My current ebike cost around £1600 but after 4.5k miles there’s not much that hasn’t failed and currently has an issue with the Bosch CX motor cutting out.

My annual saving from not using the train is about £2.5k. I think I can use the cycle to work 2 scheme so would get a massive saving if buying something like the two above.

Are there any other full suspension bikes that come with panniers and mud guards fitted from the factory?

Has anyone covered serious mileage on these bikes?

Would I most likely end up with the same problems as I’m having with my current bike after similar mileage?

It’s getting ridiculously expensive and unreliable running my current bike so really just want the most reliable machine I can get.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Sam

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
My current ebike cost around £1600
bosch batt £700
bosch motor £670

£1370

so the rest of the bike is not going to be up to much at all quality wise so good going getting 4.5k out of it.

i got over 3k on my bikes display but i run a dongle so it does not record all the millage but it is way over this as had it since 2014 and never had a problem motor batt wise.

Reactions: git-r

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I do a regular commute on a 2015 hard tail Haibike with Yamaha PU motor rear rack and panniers and am over 9,500 miles still using the original battery which is holding up very well with remarkably little if any noticeable degradation so far.

My first motor was working exactly as it should when it was replaced under warranty at the two year point after 6000 miles free of charge when the main bearing developed play. The bike cost £1750. I put a stronger rear wheel in as just over half my miles are off road with a number of demanding tracks.

The bike has been very reliable backed up by very good dealer support.

Usual consumables chains, chain rings, rear cassettes and brake pads and a few other things but I am really impressed. I think the Yamaha system is one of the most reliable but all of them can give you issues and as with anything in life some luck comes into it.

If you have the money and can justify it just buy what you fancy but at the moment however expensive the bike the crank drive electric bike systems are somewhat similar.

Things have changed a little now but when I bought mine the Yamaha system had just been introduced and whether you paid £1750 like me or £10.000 plus you got the same Yamaha Motor and system fitted to your Haibike.

As with everything you pays your money and makes your choice. If you do not venture off road an argument could be made for a cadence system bike with a geared rear hub motor. Wash my mouth out with soap.

Reactions: EddiePJ and git-r

grazie

Pedelecer
May 21, 2016
nr Canterbury, UK
If you have to have full suspension, your best best is to go for a MTB. Then add the mudguards and panniers either yourself or use a good LBS. It's best if the frame already has bosses, but it's rare/impossible to find these on MTBs. If I were you, I'd find the MTB first and add the eDrive kit, although they are far less elegant. Next month the prices of 2018 models should fall, but perhaps not that much on eBikes as they're becoming popular.

I realise that you probably want a model that meets all your requirements for cycle to work scheme, but they may be dealers willing to quote you for the a bike + the upgrades you need.

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My current ebike cost around £1600 but after 4.5k miles there’s not much that hasn’t failed and currently has an issue with the Bosch CX motor cutting out.

My annual saving from not using the train is about £2.5k. I think I can use the cycle to work 2 scheme so would get a massive saving if buying something like the two above.
I would suggest you get something like this £1,150 Kona from Evans using their trade in (-£100) and £1,000 cycle to work scheme, £50 of your own money, then fit a £499 Woosh XF08C kit to it.
The Rockshox Sektor TK Solo air fork on the Kona is really nice and light.

https://www.evanscycles.com/kona-kitsune-2013-mountain-bike-EV343776
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-121-xf08c-13ah/xf08c-rear-hub-kit-with-13ah-battery

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
bosch batt £700
bosch motor £670

£1370

so the rest of the bike is not going to be up to much at all quality wise so good going getting 4.5k out of it.

i got over 3k on my bikes display but i run a dongle so it does not record all the millage but it is way over this as had it since 2014 and never had a problem motor batt wise.
Hi SW :)

I haven’t posted here for a couple of years but you helped me out then with gearing:)

You’ve done much better than me, I think it’s the stop start nature of my mileage that kills bikes. I’ve been commuting by bike for years and all my bikes have failed after a year or so, a nice expensive giant road bike lasted best and was noticeably more reliable but I stopped using that for commuting when I got the ebike.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How about a hardtail with a Suntour NCX suspension seatpost along with the panniers and mudguards fitted by bike supplier?
Halfords have loads of Voodoo hardtail bikes, piece of cake when it comes to fitting a kit to.

I converted this Voodoo (£400 new at Halfords) 650B with the Woosh XF08C kit (£499).
You get a bike with Suntour XCM shocks and hydraulic brakes, 13AH battery, a good commuter for about 45 miles, under £1,000. Total weight about 19-20kgs.
For extra £200, you can upgrade the shocks to a Rockshox air fork, better brakes, better gears and still good value for money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ganesh

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
I do a regular commute on a 2015 hard tail Haibike with Yamaha PU motor rear rack and panniers and am over 9,500 miles still using the original battery which is holding up very well with remarkably little if any noticeable degradation so far.

My first motor was working exactly as it should when it was replaced under warranty at the two year point after 6000 miles free of charge when the main bearing developed play. The bike cost £1750. I put a stronger rear wheel in as just over half my miles are off road with a number of demanding tracks.

The bike has been very reliable backed up by very good dealer support.

Usual consumables chains, chain rings, rear cassettes and brake pads and a few other things but I am really impressed. I think the Yamaha system is one of the most reliable but all of them can give you issues and as with anything in life some luck comes into it.

If you have the money and can justify it just buy what you fancy but at the moment however expensive the bike the crank drive electric bike systems are somewhat similar.

Things have changed a little now but when I bought mine the Yamaha system had just been introduced and whether you paid £1750 like me or £10.000 plus you got the same Yamaha Motor and system fitted to your Haibike.

As with everything you pays your money and makes your choice. If you do not venture off road an argument could be made for a cadence system bike with a geared rear hub motor. Wash my mouth out with soap.
Thanks for your reply.

I bought through an awful company in the midlands mail order but would never do that again.

Getting the support is something I’m happy to pay for.

I also worked out that I could buy the same Bosch cx motor from a 10k bike in a £1600 bike. After doing so the first couple of years were fine but for the last few months it’s become too unreliable.

My commute is on road but in London so the surface is just as bad as off road. My current bike is a hard tail and it feels like it smashes over bumps at the back, I’ll definitely be getting full suspension.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
If you have to have full suspension, your best best is to go for a MTB. Then add the mudguards and panniers either yourself or use a good LBS. It's best if the frame already has bosses, but it's rare/impossible to find these on MTBs. If I were you, I'd find the MTB first and add the eDrive kit, although they are far less elegant. Next month the prices of 2018 models should fall, but perhaps not that much on eBikes as they're becoming popular.

I realise that you probably want a model that meets all your requirements for cycle to work scheme, but they may be dealers willing to quote you for the a bike + the upgrades you need.
Thanks for this.

In my experience all the bolt on panniers and mudguards I’ve used don’t last. They’re ok for a while then fall to bits, not just on ebikes but road bikes also.

Same goes for modifying a bike to an ebike, I’m basically looking for something that won’t have me fixing stuff all the time or has the least chance of me having to do so.

I don’t mind buying a similar bike again as that was ok for a couple of years but am hoping to get something that lasts better.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I’m basically looking for something that won’t have me fixing stuff all the time or has the least chance of me having to do so.
you'd need a hub gear, hydraulic brakes and a rack mounted to the seat post.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Along with the Delite you may be able to consider the R-M Homage. https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=homage
Regarding the cutout issues with the CX motor - can you identify any pattern relating to when it cuts out e.g. under max load or over bumpy off road terrain etc?
Does the display go out or stay on when the assist cuts?
Thanks for this, I’d ruled out the homage because I didn’t like the frame and the delite is about the same cost.
I tried to work out a pattern with the Bosch cutting out but failed. I’m guessing it’s wiring as it will cut out then cut back in again, turn itself off other times. The battery seems the same as new but it did once show a 530 error code but then started working ok whilst still showing the code. It’s only showed this once, every other time it does as above.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
I would suggest you get something like this £1,150 Kona from Evans using their trade in (-£100) and £1,000 cycle to work scheme, £50 of your own money, then fit a £499 Woosh XF08C kit to it.
The Rockshox Sektor TK Solo air fork on the Kona is really nice and light.

https://www.evanscycles.com/kona-kitsune-2013-mountain-bike-EV343776
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-121-xf08c-13ah/xf08c-rear-hub-kit-with-13ah-battery
Thank you.

I’m hoping to get something purpose built as something in my head is saying it’ll be more reliable.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
How about a hardtail with a Suntour NCX suspension seatpost along with the panniers and mudguards fitted by bike supplier?
Thanks, I’m sure the seat post helps but having had hardtail for thousands of miles im set on full suspension. The way the bike crashes over bumps and pot holes at speed is horrible.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
you'd need a hub gear, hydraulic brakes and a rack mounted to the seat post.
Racks mounted to the seat post aren’t meant to take more than 10kg so that would work but thanks for the suggestion :)

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
A few of main ebike brands are offering 2019 model FS MTB setup as tourers/commuters with rack, mudguard and lights.

Bulls, Trek and maybe Gaint. Look other brands also. Unfortunately most of these are lower spec models but you maybe able to buy factory mudguards and racks to fit high spec models.

Full rear mudguards are most difficult to source every thing can be aftermarkets. Eg Thule freeloader rack.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
A few of main ebike brands are offering 2019 model FS MTB setup as tourers/commuters with rack, mudguard and lights.

Bulls, Trek and maybe Gaint. Look other brands also. Unfortunately most of these are lower spec models but you maybe able to buy factory mudguards and racks to fit high spec models.

Full rear mudguards are most difficult to source every thing can be aftermarkets. Eg Thule freeloader rack.
Huge thanks, I’ll take a look at the makes you mention :)

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Hi all,

I’m looking for a 250w full suspension ebike with panniers and mudguards that are fitted from the factory.

The only options I’ve seen are:

Reise and Muller Delite
Flyer uproc3 4.15

Both are very expensive.

Are there any other full suspension bikes that come with panniers and mud guards fitted from the factory?

Has anyone covered serious mileage on these bikes?

Would I most likely end up with the same problems as I’m having with my current bike after similar mileage?

It’s getting ridiculously expensive and unreliable running my current bike so really just want the most reliable machine I can get.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Sam
https://ebike-mtb.com/en/scott-axis-eride-evo/

Reactions: grazie and git-r

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk