austinsjullian339

Just Joined
Sep 27, 2021
My conversion has a throttle, I rarely use it, but the option is there. Where I do use it is for hill starts, to cover that second or two before the pas kicks in. The other circumstance is for a fast get away from a busy junction, not often here 'cos I live in the country. The third is if I've stopped in the wrong gear - that's the advantage of having a hub motor.
You're making the assumption that folk only want a throttle so they don't have to peddle, this is not the case. There are those, with lung capacity issues or stamina problems etc. , who can use the throttle and not peddle.

As to legality - any bike manufactured before Jan 1st 2016 can have a full acting throttle in the UK.
There is no prohibition on throttles on kits (in the UK), this is because the legielation omits to mention them. So, any self converted bike can have a throttle. Any manufactured bike cannot be supplied with a throttle fitted but the rider can fit one themselves as this technically turns it into a self made bike.
Messy ain't it? This is what happens when politicians get involved in something they have no practical experience of.

As far as I can see the OP had to go through the type approval procedure because they are a manufacturer. I don't know what that means that the item for sale is actually classed as.
Who knows? Who gives a ****? I just want to ride my bike, in peace, with a bit of help for my ageing carcass.
:D
Nantucket's longest standing real estate brokerage
LOL i agree with you.

Reactions: artspeck

Stevegray

Just Joined
Jan 18, 2022
Most people new to ebikes are not aware of UK law so it looks like there’s going to be a lot of convictions because companies selling on amazon are flooding the market with illegal ebikes that have 3 Working Modes Pedal mode, Pedal assist mode, and (illegal throttle mode).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Most people new to ebikes are not aware of UK law so it looks like there’s going to be a lot of convictions because companies selling on amazon are flooding the market with illegal ebikes that have 3 Working Modes Pedal mode, Pedal assist mode, and (illegal throttle mode).
As I've explained now in your other thread Steve, there will not be lots of convictions for this.

This issue and the sale of e-bikes illegal inthis respect has existed since 1st January 2016, and in those five years there has not been a single conviction in th UK for having an illegal throttle or any other illegal power application mode.

The few extremely rare convictions for e-bike use have only been for blatant changes such as motor of 1000 watts upwards and/or 30 mph or more capability under power. In other words converted to be motor cycles.

Reactions: sjpt

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have had a throttle since I have had ebikes. Plod don't bother checking bikes unless they see you being an ass riding dangerously.
As far as the news and prosecutions goes only one case in recent years has gone to trial and the user acquitted, he wasn't even in court for illegal bike use.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and MontyPAS