Gadget show testing e-bikes again

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Agree entirely, The Neo does not have a large battery though.........along with the cheap components and high price I really don't get it.
You just could not resist :)

May be you should try one

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
GaRRy....I remember d8veh trying the Neo at the Bristol green event and saying how very impressed he was with it.....and I really trust his advice and knowledge.

I was too busy with Cyclecharge to try it then, but I intend to.

The one good thing about certain peoples obsession with knocking certain bikes is that it gets your chosen bike model LOTS of publicity........'every cloud' etc :D

Im sure there are lots more members now more aware of the benefits of BH Emotion Neo and Tonaro bikes than before....great stuff :D :D

Lynda :)

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I think it's only fair to point out that the Neo needs a big motor because the motor is stuck in a single gear. For instance, my car would need a big thirsty engine if I only had 5th gear available.
Of course if you had an electric car you wouldn’t need a gearbox. Luckily the torque characteristics of an electric motor are very well suited to vehicle propulsion, hence their popularity in larger vehicles not dependant on batteries, by enabling the elimination of the gearbox or torque converter.

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
My current Favourite bike is the Ave XH-3...Bosch is simply lovely to ride...BUT..my very close run second favourite is the Emotion Neo Extreme.

Two very different systems,with different characteristics,but both are absolutely great bikes!

Luckily for me i get to ride many different Brands and styles of bike on a very regular basis,so i don't get too stuck on one particular model-my favourite changes from month to month lol,and i feel i'm in a good position to give fair appraisal of quite a few brands.

There really is no "Better" bike when specs are similar-it comes down to personal requirements/preference every time.

Some may be better value for money on paper due to spec levels etc.....but how can you put a price on sheer enjoyment? Sometimes a bike just feels right.

Nobody can fairly judge a bike until they've ridden it,so i would like to invite any Members up to the shop for test rides,biscuits ,coffee and chat every Saturday until Christmas.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Sorry technique does play a part with the impulse and panasonic systems, anybody whos lived with them will know.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Low powered electric cars benefit greatly from a gearbox, there is a 10kw powered one down here that does over 100 kph and can climb the steepest hills still due to having gears.
Plus wattage wise our bikes are close to human output, have you ever ridden a single speed in hilly terrain?

D

Deleted member 4366

I think it's only fair to point out that the Neo needs a big motor because the motor is stuck in a single gear. For instance, my car would need a big thirsty engine if I only had 5th gear available. It's a brute force approach. I'm not knocking it, the brute force approach coupled with a big battery to feed the power hungry motor might suit some people, others may prefer their motor to take advantage of the bike's gears, get used to the quirks, and achieve the benefits associated with this type of arrangement.
I'm not sure that the Neo needs a big motor, but it's a fact that it has one, and you're right that if you use the full power, the battery will be used up more quickly; however, it also has a panel where you can turn the power down, so if you wanted to go the same speed as any other bike, it'll use approximately the same power depending on exact conditions.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
You just could not resist :)

May be you should try one
Pot kettle black?:D

I'm not going to go out of my way to try one, but would like to at a show or whatever.

But I believe you, Dave and now Martin, regards the performance, but to me and others there is more to e bikes then being initially thrilled. So I already know it rides well, but the small battery for this type of bike + cheap components just don't stack up in my opinion...under £1500 maybe.

anyway my contributions are to add balance, not aimed at the converted, but to the wider audience. Caveat emptor.... all that glitters is not gold

Last edited:
Firstly can I state I have no loyalty to either brand. We sell both and both have their qualities. We have found some people try the Kalkhoff and the similar crank driven BH City 700 and the sales of both are about equal. Not the Neo I know, but just saying the quality of the BH bikes is there and taking on Kalkhoff!
Back to the Neo, I have to say this is my main commuting bike that I used in the shop was the Neo just because it was so much faster than the C8. The C8 is more comfortable though and a great bike. But the video on the Gadget show was fairly accurate, although Polly didn't look like she was making that much effort and would have been better in a higher gear.(talking from experience here)
To give you some idea how much quicker the Neo is: I commute 13.5 miles and it takes 45 minutes on the Kalkhoff and 40 on the Neo.
As I have said, both are great bikes, just different!

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Yes we all agree it goes like stink no problermo!lol

Range please, with what is considered a very small battery with a powerful (hence the performance?) 350 watt motor. someone says he gets 28 miles in ECO...If I ride my crank drive in ECO I COULD get over 100 km.....and yes it wont be as exciting (golly gosh) but I will be riding way after you will be pushing...So come on, help us out here, range please on max assist. Because as Tillson says, a big hungry hub motor and controller needs plenty of fuel.

I got 27 miles in hilly terrain using sport mode, but I was putting some considerable effort in as well! Others have reported 15 miles in the same. But they have been lets say "larger" blokes than me at 10 1/2 stones.
I'd say 35-40 miles should be achievable in standard mode if you are a light weight and willing to work with the bike.

I must add: This was on a brand new battery and in good conditions.Although for me range wasn't important, just as long as it got me to work and back I was happy. I know this is unique to each person but....

Last edited:

firrrip

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 29, 2012
Hi

Quote removed from banned account

Philip

As Martin has said, he was having you on.

Do you think he might have been talking about the BH Nitro? I can't find proper specs on this bike but earlier in the thread someone mentioned it was for off-road use only, in terms of its overall legality.

Reading this thread has been fascinating in terms of arguing over relative performance of the different bikes. I am now a happy owner of a Neo Cross and, as I bought it to help me up moderately steep London hills, it is very much fit for purpose. I liked both of the Kalkhoffs I took round Bushey Park but found both a bit dull.

I got a kick out of both the AVE XH-3 and the Neo Cross when test driving 25 to 30 different models and went for the one I thought would suit my needs best. Out of all the bikes, they were the only 2 which I found exhilirating to ride.

Phil

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
Sh*** .. .....

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
It doesn't half go when you press it too. (off road only off course!) We sell the Mountain Sport too and love it!
Worth noting that any ebike that exceeds the assist speed or power of either set of regulations, cannot be ridden anywhere in the UK except on private land that is not accessible to the general public. If an ebike is ridden on trails, byeways, parks or whatever then it has to comply with one or other set of regulations, either SI 1168 or EN15194, at all times to remain legal.

This means that, in effect, there is virtually nowhere that an ebike with a "high power button" can be ridden legally in the UK, as since the "right to roam" law was introduced very few areas are now wholly closed off from public access.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The LifeCycle turbo button bike sound like great fun.

No surprise it's 'illegal' - a lot of fun things are.

I still want one.