Gadget show testing e-bikes again

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Thanks Waspy, any current TV content from any other country always comes up not available in your area. :(

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
Rob,

Me thinks this lady does not understand how to ride the bike.

It takes a few days of riding to really understand why everyone raves about these bikes. But once you get it, it really goes like the clappers come what may. Mid November and I am still out, unbelievable.

The main assistance happens between gears 6 to 8. She was in gear 3 or 4 at best, for that hill she should go in 6 or 8 to get the most out of the bike. Her legs were going ten to the dozen. Looks like she jumped out of a dressing room, onto a bike and got home in time for coco.

The neo has a 'special' button to make it go in offroad mode upto 350W. The Agattu Impulse was the only UK fully road legal bike in the show. 50cycles should have sent them the BS10 to be on a level playing field

Thanks

Philip
I don't normally comment on other members posts and respect the right to an opinion,but i have to state that the information in this above post is incorrect.

The Emotion Neo range are all fully road legal in the U.K-there is no "Offroad" mode or button.
The only non-U.K legal bike in the Neo range,is the Neo Nitro -Strictly for Private Land!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Emotion Neo range are all fully road legal in the U.K-there is no "Offroad" mode or button.
Forgive the tease Martin, but:

Rope a Powacycle Salisbury and a BH Neo together back to back and get the equal ability riders to set off together.

The Neo will probably tow the Salisbury backwards against it's "power".

They are both UK legal 250 watt e-bikes, work that one out

Truly we live in a strange world. :rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Of course Martin, and who am I to complain, owning a UK legal bike that has over 1000 watts gross power! :cool:

D

Deleted member 4366

No,i do understand that it is a very powerful bike compared to some others,and i know it often exceeds 250w of nominal power(as do all others at that rating)....just wanted to point out that there was no cheat as such,and is a legal bike on the road. :D
It doesn't matter howpowerful it is. It has an EN15194 certificate, which certifies it as legal. That's all you need.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The above is a highly misleading and totally untrue post based on little or no fact. Anyone considering a crank drive bike should ignore it and try one for themselves.

I own a Kalkhoff and have done so for 4 1/2 years and close to 12000 miles. I'm not being, "protective" of my purchase decision but I have to say that these bikes have an enormousness amount of hill climbing ability, plenty of speed and faultless transmission in terms of gears, chain and sprockets. The Alfine hub gear developed an annoying slip for a few days which may have been due to poor adjustment on my part, but apart from that its been perfect for 12000 miles and still is. The original chain and sprockets lasted close to 10000 miles before needing replacement and the Panasonic motor has never missed a beat. Oh, and the original 10Ah 24v battery still gives me in excess of 40 miles range. A testimony to the efficiency of the Panasonic motor and the crank drive concept.

Again, I have no particular allegiance to Kalkhoff, but someone who is considering one shouldn't be put off by the false statements made in RobF's post.

I don't know what RobF has based his report on, but I suspect that it's hearsay rather than ownership experience.
Are you seriously trying to tell me the Kalkhoff in the clip climbed well?

It came second, a poor second, in a contest of two.

I thought the battery was flat.

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain

You do continuously quote quite unsubstantiated comments - look at your earlier post regarding crank drive bikes then your "demolition" job on the Kalkhoff which is a machine I have tried HAVE YOU . I could continue with citing negative snide comments . If you are unable to substantiate your claims PLEASE stop trolling

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You do continuously quote quite unsubstantiated comments - look at your earlier post regarding crank drive bikes then your "demolition" job on the Kalkhoff which is a machine I have tried HAVE YOU . I could continue with citing negative snide comments . If you are unable to substantiate your claims PLEASE stop trolling

Gordonal,

Have you looked at the clip?

If you think that Kalkhoff performs well in it, fine.

We disagree.

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
Gordonal,

Have you looked at the clip?

If you think that Kalkhoff performs well in it, fine.

We disagree.
Why do i need to look at the clip I have tried albeit briefly both bikes , the fact is that the lady was struggling was down to her not the bike . I have been close to buying Kalkhoff bikes before,there is nothing inherently wrong with them at all.

Alan

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

Don't believe everything that you see on telly. The Gadget Show is pitched at the same level as X Factor and I'm a Celebraty, Get Me Out of Here.

I own a crank driven bike and I know from first hand experience how well they climb, how kind they are to the transmission, how efficiently they deliver the power and how unnecessary a throttle is. On how much direct experience of crank driven bikes is your commentary based? My concern is that you are putting people of a perfectly good drive system, that may well suit them, based on what you have watched on a garbage TV show.

The crank drive bike probably lost out because the rider didn't understand how it worked and didn't use it for long enough to work out how to get the best performance out of it. A crank drive does require the owner to develop a riding technique. This doesn't suit everyone and they would be better off with a different type of bike, but for those who the crank drive system does suit, it's wonderful.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Why do i need to look at the clip I have tried albeit briefly both bikes , the fact is that the lady was struggling was down to her not the bike . I have been close to buying Kalkhoff bikes before,there is nothing inherently wrong with them at all.

Alan
The lady riding it was spinning a low gear to climb a hill, which is a good cycling technique.

The bike appeared to be not providing much assistance, which to me indicates a weakness in the way the power is delivered.

As I mentioned earlier, a throttle would cure that, giving the rider the option of power on demand.

I expect my gadgets to do as I tell them, not the other way around.

Doesn't this bike have Kalkhoff's own Impulse version of crank drive?

I note a couple of other posts from Kalkhoff/Panasonic owners who say their bikes climb well, so maybe the Impulse drive is the one to avoid.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
the comparison test (pause here for laughter) was erroneous and a joke. a much fairer comparison would have been with a Haibike, and I know which one I would rather own...a powerful hub bike will always appeal more to some.

Last edited:

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
RobF

I will not continue with this , all I shall say is simply try them before you regurgitate someone elses prejudicial comment . If I had the time or inclination I would answer your individual points just made BUT I reckon on past experience of answering you its a total waste of time.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Not going to defend RobF as I don't necessarily agree with him but as I see it the Kalkhoff/crank bike owner/supporter are just as bad saying things like the NEO only won because it was not UK legal etc which is not the case.

Personally I feel its good that both types of drive system exist, as while I personally prefer one to other I am willing to accept that the alternative is preferred/better for others. I will continue to suggest to people they try the NEO as I feel its a good bike/system but there is no way I will then follow it "Dont go near crank bikes as they are rubbish" or deride them when they decide they prefer something else which seems to be what far to many people on here are prepared to do.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
The lady riding it was spinning a low gear to climb a hill, which is a good cycling technique.
Yes it is....for a non assisted bike or a hub assisted bike. The impulse like the Panasonic version is counter intuitive to this. Instead of spinning she should have been mashing and lowering her cadence, then it would have provided more assistance. It takes getting used to and for some it will never feel right.

D

Deleted member 4366

We don't need to have a debate about which is best, crank drive or hub drive. The main point is that the Neo has a motor more than twice the size of the Kalkhoff. It has more copper wire and bigger stronger magnets, so it's no surprise that it stormed up the hill twice as fast as the Kalkhoff. It's nothing to do with which system is best or pedalling technique. Simple physics. If you have more power, you can climb faster. I've tested both bikes and what I see in the video is exactly what I'd expect.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
We don't need to have a debate about which is best, crank drive or hub drive. The main point is that the Neo has a motor more than twice the size of the Kalkhoff. It has more copper wire and bigger stronger magnets, so it's no surprise that it stormed up the hill twice as fast as the Kalkhoff. It's nothing to do with which system is best or pedalling technique. Simple physics. If you have more power, you can climb faster. I've tested both bikes and what I see in the video is exactly what I'd expect.
I think it's only fair to point out that the Neo needs a big motor because the motor is stuck in a single gear. For instance, my car would need a big thirsty engine if I only had 5th gear available. It's a brute force approach. I'm not knocking it, the brute force approach coupled with a big battery to feed the power hungry motor might suit some people, others may prefer their motor to take advantage of the bike's gears, get used to the quirks, and achieve the benefits associated with this type of arrangement.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I think it's only fair to point out that the Neo needs a big motor because the motor is stuck in a single gear. For instance, my car would need a big thirsty engine if I only had 5th gear available. It's a brute force approach. I'm not knocking it, the brute force approach coupled with a big battery to feed the power hungry motor might suit some people, others may prefer their motor to take advantage of the bike's gears, get used to the quirks, and to achieve the benefits associated with this type of arrangement.
Agree entirely, The Neo does not have a large battery though.........along with the cheap components and high price I really don't get it.