Gardener choosing a bike for pulling a trailer around a city

lawbow

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 2, 2024
Hi everyone, I've been browsing this forum in recent days and it seems like there are a lot of friendly people with helpful information and experience to share so I thought perhaps people would have some useful perspectives on what sort of bike would suit my needs.

Background is I'm a gardener working in London and I do nearly all of my work by bike and when I very occasionally need a van I rent one for the day. I've occasionally considered getting a van but doing everything by bike is better for the planet, in London usually quicker, cheaper running costs, and also avoid endless issues with parking and LNTs.

I bring all my tools with me on a Burley Travoy trailer:
Image 1.jpg

very manoeuvrable and can take a decent load and copes well with longer tools. I'm currently dragging it around with my 1970s Carlton Gran Tour which is in desperate need of some TLC. I had been thinking about spending a load of money on new wheels, deraileur, brakes, etc. and then had started to wonder about converting it (looking at a swytch kit).

Then I thought perhaps I'd be better off just getting an Ebike and the slowly doing up the Carlton as a relaxed project, on the cheap by buying used parts and keeping it unnelectrified (or perhaps converting it with a kit from Woosh after the rest of the bike is sorted out). As I use my bike for work almost every day it would be useful to have two for when something goes wrong with one

I started off looking at cross frame electric bikes, somewhat in a similar vein to my old Carlton tourer but slowly I've been drawn to the idea of a folder. It would be possible for me to store an extra folder in my flat (even though I understand they don't fold down that small) and when I'm working I wouldn't need to lock it to a lamp post outside my clients' houses as I doubt it is bulkier or heavier than a fully loaded trailer which I regularly carry through clients houses to their back garden. It also strikes me that although a folder doesn't look ideal for pulling a load at first glance, it seems to me that the smaller wheel size would in fact be better at accelerating when the traffic lights turn green and pulling a load up hills (my two main motivations for wanting to electrify). It would also have the added advantage of having a pannier rack low enough to have panniers that don't interfere with the trailer which would be very useful.

I'm not interested in going especially fast, I'm 5'10 and a little over 12 stone, a full trailer load (including trailer) would be about 32kg but most often more like 20kg or so, plus perhaps a few kg in the pannier. I would ideally want something with a pretty decent range (comfortably doing above 20 miles with a load and some hills), and torque sensor.

I was looking at a Wisper 806 with a larger battery and torque sensor but then I saw that Tern makes bikes that seem more specifically designed for moving cargo on a small electric bike.

Are there any other good options I've overlooked? Does a folder (or at least something with 20" wheels) make sense for my use case? Also, does anybody body have any advice about buying second hand. I've seen some whispers in what seem to be near mint condition on eBay for considerably less than they cost new. Presumably it might not be possible to transfer the warranty but if you're saving ~£800 it seems like that may well cover anything that might go wrong? And if nothing goes wrong you're laughing.

Anyway, this post is already turning into an essay so I'll just finish by saying I'd be very interested in anybodies take on what sort of bike I should go for.

Reactions: Az.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021

You might be too late.....

lawbow

Feb 2, 2024

You might be too late.....
I saw the the 806 had already been snapped up. Tempted by the 705T but definitely think I would prefer a folder

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Does a folder (or at least something with 20" wheels) make sense for my use case?
Yes this can make perfect sense. I used a 20" wheel folder for many years with a very large trailer. And I'm also in London:

Information link

Choose carefully though, some folders are rather weak in their frames and hinges and some with rather weak motor systems, so ask in this forum for advice on any model you consider.

Last edited:
Reactions: esuark

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I saw the the 806 had already been snapped up. Tempted by the 705T but definitely think I would prefer a folder
Are you looking for ready made or conversion? @saneagle has converted a folding Dahon 20" wheeled Jetstream.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/electric2011-dahon-jetstream-p8.10584/

I converted my Dahon Helios...

https://www.cyclemotion.co.uk/worldwheels/heliosp8.htm

...a bit like this, but "250W" BBS01B:

It drags stuff up anything, as well as being fast along the flats.

Last edited:

lawbow

Feb 2, 2024
Are you looking for ready made or conversion? @saneagle has converted a folding Dahon 20" wheeled Jetstream.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/electric2011-dahon-jetstream-p8.10584/
I like the idea of a conversion but realistically I think a ready made would be more practical. Seems less likely to go wrong and easier for insurance to replace if necessary.

As an aside, does anybody know much about Aventon pedelecs? It doesn't particularly fit the criteria of what I'm after but saw this crazy seeming price reduction at a bike shop near me £1499 down to £500. Apparently the reason is that the warranty is running out (something to do with import from the US) but does seem a pretty big reduction in cost.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Reactions: lawbow

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You don't need a folding bike for a flat. As you mentioned, they still take up a lot of space . Instead, you can use a normal bike. Fit quick-release pedals and quick-release clamp screws to the stem. You can then flatten the bike quicker than you can fold a folding bike. You remove the outside pedal, turn the handlebars 90 deg and it goes flat against a wall.

Reactions: BikingJules

lawbow

Feb 2, 2024
You don't need a folding bike for a flat. As you mentioned, they still take up a lot of space . Instead, you can use a normal bike. Fit quick-release pedals and quick-release clamp screws to the stem. You can then flatten the bike quicker than you can fold a folding bike. You remove the outside pedal, turn the handlebars 90 deg and it goes flat against a wall.
What advantage would a full size bike give me? I'm riding on city streets and avoiding the odd pothole. It seems to me that for going at a moderate pace on paved roads the nimbleness and acceleration/hill advantages offered by 20" wheels probably outweighs increased ability to take bumps but I could be wrong.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
What advantage would a full size bike give me? I'm riding on city streets and avoiding the odd pothole. It seems to me that for going at a moderate pace on paved roads the nimbleness and acceleration/hill advantages offered by 20" wheels probably outweighs increased ability to take bumps but I could be wrong.
My post was about space, not which is best for potholes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As you saw from my post above, I use both, including for towing. But the riding qualities of a full size bike are always much better.

However one might not be as practical to carrying through people's homes that you mentioned, if the bike also needs to be carried through.

lawbow

Feb 2, 2024
As you saw from my post above, I use both, including for towing. But the riding qualities of a full size bike are always much better.

However one might not be as practical to carrying through people's homes that you mentioned, if the bike also needs to be carried through.
I suppose one thing I'm interested in is what exactly these much better riding qualities are. I'm basing my thinking on seeing some people writing on the internet about how 20" is actually more ideal for a city electric bike, but they could be talking nonsense. What advantage does a proper bike have outside of high speeds and being better at handling uneven surfaces?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I suppose one thing I'm interested in is what exactly these much better riding qualities are. I'm basing my thinking on seeing some people writing on the internet about how 20" is actually more ideal for a city electric bike, but they could be talking nonsense. What advantage does a proper bike have outside of high speeds and being better at handling uneven surfaces?
Stable steering. Steering is much more twitchy with smaller wheels and folders often have narrower handlebars making that characteristic much worse. Sticking one's right arm out to hand signal a right turn can take courage at times.

Geometry. The traditional diamond frame bike shape and proportions are much more natural to our bodies and more comfortable. Folders often have cramped handlebar to seat spacing and often some other dimensional oddities.

But best if you can get a ride on some of them, then you'll soon find these disadvantages.

P.S. Also see my further post with more details below.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If you need fat shock absorbing tyres, replacement 20" rims are harder to find. Mind you, if your 20" wheeled bike has disc brakes, of course rims won't need replacing nearly as often.

My folder is almost as fast as a real bike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Some further information on how much I modifed my folder to suitability:

The original handlebars are too narrow, too high for my height, too close to the saddle and with no adjustments. The steering lacks self centering due to lack of caster angle, so this is made worse by the narrow high handlebars. Like many folders, the steering join has "slop". All this meant that a right turn hand signal at speed down a bumpy hill was only for the brave. Of course the play and wrong angles from the geometry meant poor pedalling efficiency. Since the custom tall steering column couldn't be easily modified, time for some lateral thinking. What I did was buy a competition riser handlebar with swept hand grip ends and mount it upside down and rotated forward as seen below. This lowered the handlebar 1.5" and pushed the handgrips about 1" forward, leaving me with the slight lean forward I wanted and a more effective working relationship to the pedals.

The steering column slop was dealt with by glued in shims as shown by the arrows on the right, these providing preload as seen at the far right before the clamp is fully tightened. Tightening locks out the slack in the join, and this together with the lowered and full width bars which shorten the handgrip to fulcrum distance results in markedly increased steering stiffness and precise control at speed:

The saddle was mounted as far back on it's rails as possible to finalise the respacing of the frame's functional dimensions. The hinge for changing the battery was kept and the sprung seatpost hasn't been changed yet since I'm not heavy enough for it to operate now the saddle is so far back, so now one of the targets had been fully met, the complete removal of any suspension, flexing and lack of rigidity, all of which sap pedalling power:

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
And Tern are eye watering in the pricing department!

lawbow

Feb 2, 2024
Stable steering. Steering is much more twitchy with smaller wheels and folders often have narrower handlebars making that characteristic much worse. Sticking one's right arm out to hand signal a right turn can take courage at times.

Geometry. The traditional diamond frame bike shape and proportions are much more natural to our bodies and more comfortable. Folders often have cramped handlebar to seat spacing and often some other dimensional oddities.

But best if you can get a ride on some of them, then you'll soon find these disadvantages.

P.S. Also see my further post with more details below.
Thanks. Yeah, I think the only real way to decide is to try a few out.