Giant E-Road +1 The Ride Home

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its all i can find on the screen but there must be a way to change the settings bit stupid its not got a link on there web site.

was there no instructions with it?

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Does anyone have experience of the yamaha motor de-restricted,i tried the Giant road E+ and i would need the cutout higher.
The bike does have a very good geometry and riding position.

if you want a dongle id get the bad ass one as to avoid opening up the motor and using one of those type ones and avoid any problems as these are giants own Yamaha motors/batts and lcd screens so some might not work as intended.
Heard one method of cheating the system. Place a spoke magnet on inside of crank arm, near pedal end and reposition pickup. Unlike dongles this doesn't mess with you wiring.

The controller speedo will be wayout but nothing an aftermarket speedo can't fix.

Yet to try it but sounds like it might work. Let me know the result if anybody tries it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it dont work any more others have said it does but never came back and proved it with out getting error codes.

the bad ass dongle just slides over the sensor so no wiring needed.

• Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Yes it does work done hundreds of miles on my 2016 Yamaha Haibike with exactly that set up with no problems. I have been told that it doesn't work with Bosch systems. Bearing mind that if you want to use a separate speedo a wireless one probably won't work, I use a GPS based one.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Useful
Reactions: IR772 and Artstu

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Yes it does work done hundreds of miles on my Yamaha Haibike with exactly that set up with no problems. I have been told that it doesn't work with Bosch systems.
I tried it with the Bosch CX and it worked for about 10 sec and then shutdown with error code 503 showing.
Fitted a badass x3 and now perfect.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I tried it with the Bosch CX and it worked for about 10 sec and then shutdown with error code 503 showing.
Fitted a badass x3 and now perfect.
I suspect Bosch have seen this before and found a way to detect it ie
if (crank rev == wheel rev)
error503

With electronic shifting eg Di2 and electric NuVinci hub. Bosch should be able to calculate expected speed. If you plan to jail break a Bosch with electronic gear shifting, you maybe disappointed.

I looked at Discovery E STEPS system, looks like strong magnet on end of crank arm should work. May not need to move pickup, just disable spoke magnet by sliding it out of way.

• Informative
Reactions: nemesis

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Second ride out tonight with offspring in tow, or perhaps the other way around...
Anyway route was narrow twisty lanes up hill and down dale and I was much more able to keep up on this bike.
I am never happy going down big hills on a road bike but the brakes on this are astounding with little effort needed to bring the speed down and no squirming about or skidding.
Tyres are a bit softer now and saddle readjusted and it is almost, almost perfect, also able to grab a drink without stopping, (its the small things that seem to make the most difference)
Offspring asked for a shot and was suitably impressed by the "push" and is calling it a bike, where my other e-bikes are referred to as Mopeds.. (in the nicest possible way of course)
Seeing him ride it away from and then back towards me really brought it home.. It just looked like any other road bike,
On quiet country lanes the motor can be heard but I would estimate 50% less noisy than my Bosch MTB, and the way the power comes in and out is so much smoother .
We rode the Yorkshire Bumps (locals may know it) , its a switchback road and the pedaling through treacle feeling on the ups that I get on the bosch MTB isn't apparent on this bike.
Totals for two rides on one charge.
Distance = 39.7 Miles
Elevation Gain = 2900ft
Time riding = 2hrs 45mins
Battery showing 3 bars and 48% remaining.
This means a 50 mile ride is now well withing my range.

Simon C

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2016
North West
i tried for hours on 2016 haibike bought the badasse and never looked back the only downside is battery drainage halfs the range doubles the fun :)

Simon C

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2016
North West
Looks a fab bike Phil may i ask what model it is and what range would you expect on std. Really tempted myself having lots of fun on mountain bike but think a roadie would be good for commuting and longer rides. I tend to average about 40 mile on road bike with avg speed of 17 mph.

• Informative
Reactions: Retyred1

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Looks a fab bike Phil may i ask what model it is and what range would you expect on std. Really tempted myself having lots of fun on mountain bike but think a roadie would be good for commuting and longer rides. I tend to average about 40 mile on road bike with avg speed of 17 mph.
Hi Simon, title of the thread.....
I have only been out twice and am a pensioner but I recon a fit younger man should be able to knock on on the 100 mile door. Depending on terain..

russmcp

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 6, 2016
Surrey
I think it's a cracking looking thing. I may have to consider this one for my commute. I guess it'll take a stem rack for a pannier?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Cunning Chinese! Now if only the mainland Chinese would get interested in good industrial design like that... Back in the day I read that Giant's design studio was in the USA (California?), is that still the case?

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Phil
Initially I was drawn to the lesser model due to colour etc but am warming more towards the colour of yours. I think the darker colour helps blend the battery into the frame more.
Obviously spec wise there's no competition.
I'm getting tempted. I do also like the Brose motored bikes and the new Steps seem to moving towards a greater battery integration.
2017 is going to be an interesting year.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the 2017 bikes will start to be available in the next 8 weeks oct nov. Germans all ways get them first?