Giant E-Road +1 The Ride Home

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Yes and it is all I had hoped for and more!! But should I have waited for the 2017 one?

I mailed another retailer with a question and this is their response which is quite clear.

Thanks for your email,

Unfortunately the units are not interchangeable - the Giant displays can only be used with the specific model year bike.

So, the 2016 bike will be supplied with a KPH display.

If you require a MPH display then you would need to wait for the 2017 model to become available in a couple of months.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
and if a link SW provided a while ago is correct the 2017 model will have 4 power settings rather than the 3 on the 2016 model.

• Informative

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
I have had a e-mail today direct from Giant bicycles and it says that the new Yamaha PW-X motor will not be fitted to the 2017 Giant road E+ but will be in the 2018 year model.
That says to me that changes from 16 to 17 year models will be minimal.I looked into it because it is probably better to buy now before the price goes up.

• Informative

Foghat

Just Joined
Mar 16, 2017
South-West
The Giant Road E+ 1 looks like the e-bike for me. Your posts make very interesting reading, Gubbins - particularly your other thread on winter riding the Road E+, and the images you've posted of mudguard fitment etc. Do you have a close-up of the rear dropouts with the covers removed? - I'm curious whether there are separate threaded attachment points for a rack and mudguard.

Whilst I am very fit (for my, I suppose, advancing years and usual level of sleep deprivation), the 200-miles-per-week all-year-round commuting on my current 16kg-all-in commuter bike really takes its toll. It's all on rough hilly lanes, with belting headwinds on the way in that almost ALWAYS turn enough to seriously work against me when it comes to going home, which means come the weekend I need Saturday to recover and catch up on sleep, and any long/hard club rides/events etc on Sunday usually set me up for another week of feeling knackered at work. The rough roads, constant headwinds and hills really are a major drain on energy reserves, especially through the winter.

By using an e-bike instead on, say, 2-3 days a week for commuting, maybe all five days some weeks if sleep deprivation is getting particularly bad, I'm sure there will be a significant reduction in fatigue, and more (non-e-bike) weekend riding that can consequently be achieved. What's the view of anyone in a similar situation?

I do commute quite fast now, though (considering the bike is 16kg with all the lights and other paraphernalia) - usually averaging 14-18mph depending on headwind severity, or 19-22mph if the miracle of a tailwind ever materialises (and I can average a fair bit more riding my 7.5kg No. 1 bike without commuting luggage). So the 15.5mph cut-off of the Yamaha PW motor is of some concern. However, there are enough uphills and tough into-the-wind drags for the e-bike to make sense - but obviously the magnet-on-the-crank hack will be of particular interest, given my current averages. Of course, I can always just aim to maintain my current commuting averages, but simply achieve it with a lot less effort on a Road E+ 1.

I note nemesis's comment about having to wait for the 2018 model to get one with the PW-X motor. I think I'll wait for that, as the new motor is apparently about 0.5kg lighter and 13% smaller, and hopefully by then the frame will have been redesigned to take flat mount brakes, and any other niggles with the current model ironed out. By waiting for the PW-X, I'm hoping everything will be a bit more future-proof

Does anyone have any information on when the 2018 model is likely to be released in the UK? I seem to recall reading the next year's model usually comes out around October-November, but cannot remember where I saw this.

Now to start saving......!

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
...Of course, I can always just aim to maintain my current commuting averages, but simply achieve it with a lot less effort on a Road E+ 1.
That is the general idea. You will gain time on accelerating to 25 km/h and be able to maintain 25 km/h on hills and into the wind so you should do a little better all the same.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I'd be really tempted by this bike as one of the better looking road bikes, sadly a few things put me off and this is only, imho..

Giant have tried to make the bike bespoke, meaning not easy to fit a speed dongle, if at all. Display could have been interchangeable but appears you can't even change it with a newer Giant model unlike say bosch. I'd rather go mainstream i.e. bosch motor spares, repairs, upgrades and just plenty of activity around this brand.

I had a Colnago italian bike, you try and get spares then the factory shuts in summer for one month. I had Campy drive chain which was electronic and when it broke it took 3 weeks to repair waiting for parts and poor service from Italy. After this experience i decided there where benefits to going mainstream.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'd be really tempted by this bike as one of the better looking road bikes, sadly a few things put me off and this is only, imho..

Giant have tried to make the bike bespoke, meaning not easy to fit a speed dongle, if at all. Display could have been interchangeable but appears you can't even change it with a newer Giant model unlike say bosch. I'd rather go mainstream i.e. bosch motor spares, repairs, upgrades and just plenty of activity around this brand.

I had a Colnago italian bike, you try and get spares then the factory shuts in summer for one month. I had Campy drive chain which was electronic and when it broke it took 3 weeks to repair waiting for parts and poor service from Italy. After this experience i decided there where benefits to going mainstream.
At the end of the day you make your choices based on your own experiences, advice from others and basically what you want, which in my case it was just what I have been looking for since I first laid eyes on ebikes and as I have no interest in speed up devices that point was never an issue for me.
The display used to be a niggle in the early days but now and I am more than happy and wouldn't change it for anything....
But.....
I don't keep bikes for too long because I have a roving eye and if something else comes along that takes my roving eye I will sell it and buy that...

• Informative

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
At the end of the day you make your choices based on your own experiences, advice from others and basically what you want, which in my case it was just what I have been looking for since I first laid eyes on ebikes and as I have no interest in speed up devices that point was never an issue for me.
The display used to be a niggle in the early days but now and I am more than happy and wouldn't change it for anything....
But.....
I don't keep bikes for too long because I have a roving eye and if something else comes along that takes my roving eye I will sell it and buy that...
Totally agree, all bikes have pros and cons. I just think it's a lovely bike and Giant need to remember those who bought this bike last year or this, may well want to upgrade parts from the 2017 model, so backward compatibility is important where they can.
Ive had 8 bikes in the last 5 years, but have lost so much money i'm being careful what and when i buy. i could do with another battery, but technology is moving so fast i'm not desperate so have left it for time being.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you would be faster on that than the mtb both with dongles as the giant is a lot less waight.

now if you changed all the parts to carbon wheels ect you might even get 50mph with the right gearing for about 2 seconds ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
you would be faster on that than the mtb both with dongles as the giant is a lot less waight.

now if you changed all the parts to carbon wheels ect you might even get 50mph with the right gearing for about 2 seconds ;)
yeah, and a different rider:(