Giant seude ebike

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
I have purchased a giant suede ebike I know this is an older type, but is in like new condition
it did not have a battery, pedals or key for battery, no1. need to know how to remove the lock,
there is a square block underneath the lock but can`t fathom how to remove it, then I will have to take lock to a locksmith for a key, any one know what kind of key
also where can I obtain a battery, and charger, it is the NI MH type, but could I use any other
kind of battery and charger.
one more thing does anyone have a manual for this type that I could purchasebike 6.jpg

robdon:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Only the Giant battery will fit into the frame mount of this model and you can order that and th charger from a Giant electric bike dealer. To find your nearest, click on this link, enter your location and tick the Hybrid box at the right. I don't know how that lock can be removed, but the dealer may well be able to help you with that and also get a replacement if necessary.

Giant can supply PDF manuals for some models but don't have a website access point for them. Best mail info@giant-bicycles.co.uk and ask if they can send you a link to the Suede manual.

You can use any other 36 volt battery with appropriate charger, but you'll have to mount the battery on the carrier and arrange the mounting method and connections.

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
I have sent an email to the address you gave, I think I have tried them before with no reply, but thank you for your help, maybe someone will know how to remove the lock as I would like to do it myself.
I am 71 years old and need things to keep me busy.
ROB

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Giant do tend to be slow with responses and support Rob, maybe a reflection of their being such a large company, but they usually end up satisfying customers.

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
I have removed the lock, held in with two small studs, now to get a key, anyone know make of key
thanks for hep
robdon

• Disagree
Reactions: tommie

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
any one know where to get or have a fair priced charger, 360volt 10ah NImh, cant seem to find one on EBAY
robdon

• Disagree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
any one know where to get or have a fair priced charger, 360volt 10ah NImh, cant seem to find one on EBAY
robdon
E-bike suited NiMh ones are rare these days, but I've bought them from Powerstream in the USA a few times. It's important to choose a lower courier charge option if going this route since theire default is the very expensive highest cost one. Best bet is choose USPS, delivery is usually in about 12 days. One problem is that one can get caught for duty, VAT and a payment collection charge, all adding about 30% to the charger and P&P cost.

This one is suitable, but please note that NiMh chargers are specifically matched to the battery thermistor. This charger has a quite popular thermistor rating so matches many batteries, but if not you may have to open up the battery and change it's NTC thermistor to match the charger spec.

D

Deleted member 4366

By the time you've got a charger, battery and key, you will have spent a lot of money. If it were my bike, I'd get a lithium battery and stick it on the rack. There might just be room to mount a bottle battery on the down-tube.

This one is £166 including charger and shipping. You'll have to pay an additional £15 to £40 duty/handling when it arrives.
bottle ebike battery

or this one for £170 inc charger and shipping:
36V10Ah Li-Ion Alloy 05-Case EBike Battery Pack - BMSBATTERY

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
If I was to purchase the 36V10Ah Li-Ion Alloy 05-Case EBike Battery Pack from America I would have to make up a 24" cable from rear rack to battery, what kind of cable couplings would I require.
here is a photo of the set up on the bike where the battery goes

Attachments

• Disagree

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
meant 24" cable from rear rack to connector on the bike, sorry
connector on bike shown
robdon

• Disagree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know of any connectors suitable for plugging onto those thin blade connectors Rob. The usual way of adding a different battery is to connect floating cables onto the underside of that connector platform and then using inline connectors to plug onto the cables from the battery.

There are various inline connectors that are suitable, one type often recommended are the Anderson Powerpoles. This Google link shows everything about those. Others may have different connector suggestions.

You should easily be able to access the underside of the connector platform to connect in parallel to the existing cables, it's a type Giant and Panasonic have used for years, below is a later example. This one uses plug-on connectors underneath but yours may be soldered connections:

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
I have looked inside, only two small studs to remove, they are plugins and I have had a look at the Anderson couplings.
all good information for the future.
flecc I received the Giant suede manual that you kindly gave me the internet address for, I now understand how to operate it under power, and fault finding.
thanks for your help
robdon

• Disagree

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
I have now obtained a new battery, 36v 15ah li-ion got it for a good price, including charger and various bits, also ordered a horn switch to do the Andrewselectricbike mod, will this battery be ok on this Giant Suede.
I know it seems a lot of money to spend on an oldish bike but I don`t think it has ever been used, still has all the makers labels on the handle bars etc and tyres still have the bits of rubber on the centre of the tread left during manufacture, and plastic paper on the Giant badge, bike works ok have tried it on pedal assist up a near bye hill
ROB

• Disagree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, that battery is fine Rob, it should run really well on it and with an improved range.

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
Thanks flecc that's nice to know, will get this old bike doing what it should have been doing years ago.
ROB

• Disagree