Giant Suede E - Pedelec hack re-wire

Ninelives

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2008
Following instuctions in another post I wired a power on demand switch to my Giant Suede, which works very well bar a couple of mods that could do with resolving.

First problem , the switch when used provides full power, it is all or nothing, would adding in some thing like a rotary volume type control into the wireing before the switch allow me to dial in less power ?

Second, I fitted a click on/off switch which is less that ideal, so looking for a push button type that only stays on so long as you are pressing the button.

Mileage range on motor power is less than half of pedelec mode, is this due to the full power only effect?

Thank you :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The range will reduce considerably when the normal power conserving software is bypassed.

A motorcycle horn button could provide the press switch you need:

Horn button switch

A variable resistor will probably enable you to reduce the power, generally you will only be dealing with a 5 volt signal.

Last edited:

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Following instuctions in another post I wired a power on demand switch to my Giant Suede, which works very well bar a couple of mods that could do with resolving.

First problem , the switch when used provides full power, it is all or nothing, would adding in some thing like a rotary volume type control into the wireing before the switch allow me to dial in less power ?

Second, I fitted a click on/off switch which is less that ideal, so looking for a push button type that only stays on so long as you are pressing the button.

Mileage range on motor power is less than half of pedelec mode, is this due to the full power only effect?

Thank you :)
I used a simple doorbell switch on my suede.

Reactions: andrewelectricbike1

Ninelives

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2008
Thank you both.

Now why did i not think of such a simple thing as a door bell push button, have to pay a visit to Homebase this week :)

Lesley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 24, 2007
Hello all, I have a Giant Suede and would very much like to do the power by-pass to help with the hills - but not knowledgeable enough (at all) about wiring. Does anyone who's done it live anywhere near Basildon in Essex that could help me to do it please? Thank you!

Ninelives

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2008
Hello all, I have a Giant Suede and would very much like to do the power by-pass to help with the hills - but not knowledgeable enough (at all) about wiring. Does anyone who's done it live anywhere near Basildon in Essex that could help me to do it please? Thank you!
Sorry I am to far away to help, but it is pretty easy to do if you can get some one local to help.

My opinion is it is well worth doing the mod , it works like a Turbo boost button when used, it is tempting to use it all the time, but be aware too much Turbo use really shortens your bike's battery range.

My speedo shows 17-18mph when using the switch but I am using oversized tyres which I think increases the top speed slightly.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here is a post which helps with the wiring which looks quite simple to do:

Suede modification

Lesley

Oct 24, 2007
Thank you Ninelives and Flecc for your replies and for the link to the mod - alas my electrical knowledge is really limited, I don't even know which wiring to use? Would only need the boost on the hills, am happy with normal pedal-assist for the rest of the time, so hopefully wont affect my battery range too much ..... any further help you can give is gratefully appreciated!

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Thank you Ninelives and Flecc for your replies and for the link to the mod - alas my electrical knowledge is really limited, I don't even know which wiring to use? Would only need the boost on the hills, am happy with normal pedal-assist for the rest of the time, so hopefully wont affect my battery range too much ..... any further help you can give is gratefully appreciated!
It really does not make much difference at all on hills,all legal electric bikes need assistance all of the time on steep hills ,and it is really only usefull on the flat or gentle inclines,however it is nice to use after climbing a steep hill, to catch your breath back or just to have a little rest for a short while.

Lesley

Oct 24, 2007
Thanks FishingPaul, I do mean the gentle inclines! Don't know how it'd cope with steep hills? I'm wanting to pedal, not just boost, but at the moment, having to drop down into the lower gears and moving so slowly seems to defeat the object of battery assist, it's only a little bit easier than on my un-assisted bike! Am sure I'd be able to walk/run up some of the gentle inclines faster, certainly don't go much quicker than the pedestrians sometimes!

Lesley

Oct 24, 2007
Hi, have just seen the 50 Cycles newsletter showing the new throttle kit for the Kalkhoff - would this be suitable/possible to fit to a Giant Suede E do you think? Thanks!