Gloves

jakeboy

Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2008
i use sealskin brand gloves windproof waterproof and very light available from most outdoor stores also got one of there hats had them both for 4yrs now no complaints at all

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
i use sealskin brand gloves windproof waterproof and very light available from most outdoor stores also got one of there hats had them both for 4yrs now no complaints at all
I use a pair of Seal Skinz, waterproof and breathable for the winter. They are Merino lined have sticky palm and fingers, cost around £20-25 a couple of years ago. My fingers are the warmest part of my body at the moment, gloves are brill.

It's my feet that are freezing, I'll have to dig out my Seal Skinz socks now.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Those Seal Skinz products look really good !! Thanks for the tip. :)

My Windstoppers gloves are starting to age, and they don't insulate enough from the cold now. :(

I use a fleecy Buff for my neck, and regular Buffs to make a thin cranium-insulating layer under the helmet...yes I wear a helmet ! :D

Cheers, Dan

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
The Sealskinz arrived today, that's quick shipping.... they look good, feel comfortable and have a nice 'nose-wipe' feature! Hopefully I'll get to test them this weekend.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
On advice from someone who uses them as over gloves I got some Oxford Chillout gloves to wear over my usual cheap winter gloves. I should have gone a size bigger but it all fits quite well and certainly kept my hands much warmer this morning, they are meant to be waterproof as well but that's untested by me. Nice because as things warm up a little I can just whip one pair off.
Unlike most of the pushbike branded stuff they are only £15 inc postage. :)

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
plenty of (hot) air

I use two layers of gloves in the winter too, nothing expensive. A bit bulky but better than frozen fingers. There is no magic insulation material. The best material is air, and the more of it you have the lower the heat loss, everything else is just to stop that air from moving around.

Barry Heaven

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
I use two layers of gloves in the winter too, nothing expensive. A bit bulky but better than frozen fingers. There is no magic insulation material. The best material is air, and the more of it you have the lower the heat loss, everything else is just to stop that air from moving around.
I think that is basically it. From my old physics lessons I recall that the routes for heat loss are conduction, radiation and convection. As you say, it is the trapped air as a poor conductor that is the main insulator but I guess the insulation material itself will have some conductive properties. Radiation could be minimised by reflective coatings (do any of them have this?). I doubt if convection is significant.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
It's totally swamped by wind chill, anything that stops the wind getting through wil be more than enough to stop the weak convection currents from taking any heat away.

By the way, if anyone's interested this Thursday Aldi will be selling "Angler's Neoprene Gloves" for £4.99 a pair:

ALDI - Thursday Special Buys 10th December 2009
They look ideal to use as inner gloves to the bigger ones I just got. :)

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I went for the Mountain Bike gloves but I've not had time to try them yet...they seem well made though.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I've been using the SealSkinz Winter gloves for a year and a half now and I really like them.

A couple of things though, they are smallish so you may want to choose the next size up if you aren't sure which size to go for. They are breathable which also means they let the cold air in which is only a problem in extremely cold weather. Also the palm side is not waterproof which is only really a problem in prolonged heavy downpours.

All in all though they are one of the better gloves I've tried for biking, I particularly like the gel padding.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
UK Steve, yep those are the ones.

There's a hand sizer at http://www.sealskinz.com/glove_measure.pdf

I'm at the top end of 23cm and the mediums are 'snug' I think the sizer is quite accurate...perhaps I should have gone for the Large....