Go to work on a Pineapple! Wisper Folder sneak preview.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
On my short list of bikes to build is the Tern Link B7:

Tiny Xiongda rear hub motor (sensored version) with DNP 11-32 freewheel, controller behind seatpost, Magura HS11 on the front, mudguards, battery powered b+m lights, Big Apple Plus and the Tern basket on the front with a softshell battery. For moving more stuff around town I would use a trailer.
Looks good, isthd Battery in frame? This is certainly one to watch!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Looks good, isthd Battery in frame? This is certainly one to watch!
No, it is a home build. The Tern electric bikes have the battery behind the seat post. Tern for me, having seen one or two up close, are the golden standard of folding bike quality. They are well equipped and well built.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
No, it is a home build. The Tern electric bikes have the battery behind the seat post. Tern for me, having seen one or two up close, are the golden standard of folding bike quality. They are well equipped and well built.
Thanks Kiwi, I didn’t read your post carefully enough. All the best, David

Reactions: oyster

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Just another thought after spending time looking at Youtube clips of folders. One point that seems to get raised is bottle cage mounts, or rather the lack of them.

Clearly a horizontal mount is less than perfect, as is a mount behind the seat post tube, but it could add to the usefulness if you were to fit a couple of lugs in that position. If nothing else, it might make the fitting of racks, mudguards etc easier.

Perhaps even go one stage further, and fit a couple of lugs towards the front of the bike, for a clip on mobile phone holder. Gimmicky, but it might well appeal to someone that is looking for that little extra when comparing bikes.

Just spotted this one that has a built in battery. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMART-S2-FOLDING-ELECTRIC-E-BIKE-250W-BY-A-N-A-DISTRIBUTORS/202229643213?epid=1792854730&hash=item2f15d377cd:g:3WYAAOSwLF1X-1pu

They seem to be coming out of the woodwork now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pedalease-electric-folding-bike-36v-250w-hidden-battery-light-weight-only-17kg/172934129422?hash=item2843ad670e:g:pZAAAOSwHMJYI7Qp

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
The rack should be ready when I get out there, I’ll post images.
I like the idea of integral lights.
The lock is based on our current Folding bike lock.
Re Rack, i dont suppose it could take a child seat? If there's space and load bearing capacity on frame that is.
+1 for Full mudguards with flaps.
+1 for Full chainguard.
+1 for Roller wheel nr BB so no carrying.
+1 Abus Bordo folding lock ?
+1 Integral lights w reflectors save space
Cheers, Mikel

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Just another thought after spending time looking at Youtube clips of folders. One point that seems to get raised is bottle cage mounts, or rather the lack of them.

Clearly a horizontal mount is less than perfect, as is a mount behind the seat post tube, but it could add to the usefulness if you were to fit a couple of lugs in that position. If nothing else, it might make the fitting of racks, mudguards etc easier.

Perhaps even go one stage further, and fit a couple of lugs towards the front of the bike, for a clip on mobile phone holder. Gimmicky, but it might well appeal to someone that is looking for that little extra when comparing bikes.

Just spotted this one that has a built in battery. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMART-S2-FOLDING-ELECTRIC-E-BIKE-250W-BY-A-N-A-DISTRIBUTORS/202229643213?epid=1792854730&hash=item2f15d377cd:g:3WYAAOSwLF1X-1pu

They seem to be coming out of the woodwork now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pedalease-electric-folding-bike-36v-250w-hidden-battery-light-weight-only-17kg/172934129422?hash=item2843ad670e:g:pZAAAOSwHMJYI7Qp

Thanks again Eddie, we have seen both of these, Halfords have one and so did FreeGo. All the same frame. We are taking the concept one further, a better ride, higher quality components and lighter with more accessories and choices.

We have been watching Brompton’s work on their ebike with interest, we believe there is a solid market for such a bike, but it has to be very well designed and built.

We have bottle lugs and a clip on front basket.

All the best, David

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Re Rack, i dont suppose it could take a child seat? If there's space and load bearing capacity on frame that is.
+1 for Full mudguards with flaps.
+1 for Full chainguard.
+1 for Roller wheel nr BB so no carrying.
+1 Abus Bordo folding lock ?
+1 Integral lights w reflectors save space
Cheers, Mikel
Hi Mike, thanks, we haven’t considered a child seat. We will though.

A chain guard also needs looking at. We dong need a roller wheel as the bike rolls on the wheels. We will have an integral rear light option but will probably keep the front light as a separate item.

We have a lock solution with holder for the bike.

All the best, David

Auxtail

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2017
Milton Keynes
Hi David,
Styling looks great.
I think I would like lights front and rear as well as mudguards.
I note you are planning a carbon band version which sounds good too.
Good Luck
Craig

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
My objection to integrated batteries is the difficulty of removing them from the bike.
I carry my folder in the boot of my car, which means that to lift it over the tail gate and position it inside the boot I have to do it at arms length.
Make sure that when folded, the battery is easily removed to reduce the weight for lifting purposes.
Nice looking bike by the way.

al.b

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2018
lancashire
I like the look of this bike especially the light weight aspect. Surely adding things like a bike stand, lights starts to increase weight which is self defeating.I would also like to see an external charge point on the bike itself as many trains and indeed cars now have power points etc especially if distance would be limited. I also made some enquiries on taking folders on aircraft! they are classed as dangerous goods even with the battery removed. As far as holding the bike together when folded(personal experience) what about a simply double clip made from plastic,cheap to produce and would lock both parts together like the ones supplied for some heavy duty bike locks. Not sure about external gear sets! well done wisper again.Not convinced about the name doesn't do justice to the design maybe something like "Vogue"? Good luck

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi David,
Styling looks great.
I think I would like lights front and rear as well as mudguards.
I note you are planning a carbon band version which sounds good too.
Good Luck
Craig
Thanks Craig, we are going to add rear lights in the seat pin. Not sure about the front light as yet.

All the best, David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
My objection to integrated batteries is the difficulty of removing them from the bike.
I carry my folder in the boot of my car, which means that to lift it over the tail gate and position it inside the boot I have to do it at arms length.
Make sure that when folded, the battery is easily removed to reduce the weight for lifting purposes.
Nice looking bike by the way.
Hi Mike, the Battery simply unlocks and pops out of the frame tube when folded. As per these prototype images.

All the best, David

C88F5E70-5141-425C-8C41-E17E599574AB.jpeg 61C13AEC-2198-4600-8423-AC6CCD49127D.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I like the look of this bike especially the light weight aspect. Surely adding things like a bike stand, lights starts to increase weight which is self defeating.I would also like to see an external charge point on the bike itself as many trains and indeed cars now have power points etc especially if distance would be limited. I also made some enquiries on taking folders on aircraft! they are classed as dangerous goods even with the battery removed. As far as holding the bike together when folded(personal experience) what about a simply double clip made from plastic,cheap to produce and would lock both parts together like the ones supplied for some heavy duty bike locks. Not sure about external gear sets! well done wisper again.Not convinced about the name doesn't do justice to the design maybe something like "Vogue"? Good luck
Thanks for your comments Al. We are not sure about Pineapple either, Moth was another short lister, amongst lots of others. But what’s in a name? A bike by any other name would ride as sweet! We have today confirmed the earth magnets to hold the bike when folded and two drive models a Gates Carbon single speed and a Claris 8 speed.

All the best, David

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 'Moth' sounds better but being small and light as you are hopeful of, Wipser ' Gnat ' might fit.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Seriously. Your two new Shimano bikes have feline names so I would stick with that theme. A Lynx sounds good. Small lightweight and can move quickly.
Good name, but unfortunately already used on this e-folder.

They've also used the Puma name on an e-folder model, so have cornered the cat name market.

Though not yet used Cheetah might be apposite for an electric bike. :D

Last edited: