Goop or Slime!!!!!!

detec52

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2011
Anyone here put goop or slime into there tyres? i was told to put this stuff into my bike tyres and it would stop punctures? Anyone??????

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The consensus in this forum is that they mostly don't work and then make the puncture patching nearly impossible. These were designed for the thick treads of tubeless tyres, the discontinuity of cycle tyre and tube interfaces, plus the thinness often prevents sealing before the liquid outflow.

That said, there's always the person for who they have worked on an odd occasion, or two if very lucky.

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
I put a bottle of slime in the Missus's mountain bike a couple of years ago. When I got the Aurora, I bought Marathon Plus Tours for it, and put the Auroras originals on her bike. It wasn't until I took off her old MB knobblies that I saw she'd had 2 punctures on the rear wheel. Both had sealed themselves before going flat. I think that if you get a puncture 1/2 way through a ride then it's got a good chance of re-sealing. However if you get one near the end of a ride, the tyre goes down before the slime can rotate enough times in the tube to create a seal, so it's a slime failure. I also experimented with a non-slime punctured tube by adding the slime, fitting to my MB, inflating/rotating and then riding on it......that was over a year ago and it's still o.k.

I suppose whether it works boils down to where in a ride you get a puncture, how big the hole is, whether the glass/thorn remains in the tyre, and a bit of luck. Like I say, it's worked for me in the past.

I have a proper slime tube on the rear of the Aurora. It doesn't add much weight, and if I'm unfortunate enough to actually get a puncture on a MP Tour, it can't hurt to have that little bit of extra protection can it?

Last edited:

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I've never found them to work for me, and as the oozing slime make patching difficult i dont use them anymore.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I have found a nice set of Marathon Plus tyres do the job. Just fit and forget :p

The whole slime thing sounds messy and too much hassle.

Regards

Jerry

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I too have Marathon Plus, and Slime, and there is a spin-off problem.

Recently, one of my valves seized up. I could just about force air into it using all my strength and a track pump, but the consensus both here and in my local bike shop was that Slime was the cause.

So if you DO use it, make sure you stock a valve extractor tool (only a couple of quid) and some spare valves (similarly) for such eventualities.

Allen.

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
I have used some of the goop (Halfrauds own brand)

It worked for me on a tube that deflated within a few hundred metres of riding.

I had to go through the process of letting the tyre deflate and pump up several times before it actually sealed the hole.

Downside is, you have to empty a fair amount (25-30% bottle) into the valve, it doesn't seem to distribute itself evenly around the tube. As a result you get a weird gyroscopic effect with the uneven weight.

It works, handy and I didnt need to remove back wheel, disconnect electrics, change tube at the roadside on a frosty morning........... a temporary means of puncture repair I reckon to get you home. I wouldn't keep it in the tube itself, but a small bottle of goop (thinking ot weight) in the pannier could come in handy.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
My Giant bike came with green slime in the tubes five years ago. I've probably averaged about 50 miles a week since then, mostly on country lanes, and never had a puncture. I did have a problem with a sticking valve a few months ago for the first time but simply replaced it. Of course I don't know whether I've just been lucky!

fatboy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 7, 2007
Armagh
does slime work ?
I have green slime in the front and nothing in the rear tube, tyres are identical Schwalbe City Jets and over the past 6 months I have had 3 punctures in the rear but none (that I know of) in the front.
I think I will get a green slime tube for the rear as glass is my main hazard after the winos have had a smashing time on the boulevard

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I carry one in my pannier just in case, but so far havent had to use it.
I just thought it might save me having to push my bike home as I havent yet mastered the changing of tyres.
So, am I right to think that I can add it at the time of getting a puncture and not have to put it in first ?
It is in a can with an attachment for the valve....

Lynda

TwoBikes

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2011
There are two sorts. One is the type you put in the tyre in advance and leave it there to do its work. The other is the type you carry around in a can and use to repair a puncture when you get one. I think some people confuse the two, with unfortunate results. You have to read the packaging and the instructions carefully, because the product name alone does not usually tell you what type it is, and some manufacturers make both types (or have done in the past).

My own experience with one of our trikes is that after a year or so we were starting to get punctures, so we bought Slime brand inner tubes (that come with the Slime already in). The next time we picked up a puncture all that happened was a jet of green foamy liquid spurted out and the tyre went flat. As others have said, a normal road-side repair was then impossible, because the Slime stopped the patch from sticking. We then fitted Marathon Plus tyres and have not had a puncture since.

Last edited:

RussJ

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2011
I added it to our lawn tractor tyres years ago after a succession of blackthorn punctures. Never had a puncture since.
Following my flat last week I bought a bottle and "Slimed" mine and the wifes bikes to hopefully give some protection. I suppose it is an act of faith in some ways but in my view worth a punt.
Russ

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Better with tyres that have a simlar system ready fitted, like Marathon Plus.

That said I have removed both my Marathon Plus tyres on my EBrompton this summer and am running with slick Kojaks. They have a kevlar belt that offers some protection but not as much protection as the plus's

What a difference the Kojaks make to my Brompton both for weight and rolling speed!

Will probably go back to Marathon P's in the winter though. If I had a generic normal weight Ebike I would leave Marathon Plus tyres fitted all the time.

IME punctures predominantly happen in the back, so if you are going to protect one protect the back one.

PS just one final thing check your pressures every week and top up if necessary. Underflated tyres attract more punctures!

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
We use slime the 3 kids commute to school 12miles per day over country lanes which are lethal for punctures especially when hedge trimming is taking place. they swear by slime I cannot remember the last time I fixed a puncture on a treated wheel.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I've only used the pre-filled Slime tubes. The last time I changed my tyre I noticed that I had an area of slime around one part of the tyre and it had sealed a puncture without me noticing. Thinking back I remembered that I had found my tyre half deflated one morning and at the time I couldn't work out what had happened especially since I just pumped it back up and it stayed pumped up.

They're certainly not foolproof, last year it sealed a couple of hawthorn puntures I had when I pulled the spikes out but then I realised I'd got a small hawthorn branch stuck in the tyre. I pulled it out but the slime stood no chance! The council had recently cut a whole section of hawthorn hedge along a section of the national cycle route near me. Apparently loads of people got punctures that weekend.

miker71

Finding my (electric) wheels
Pre-sliming and its equivalents has worked for me and my kids. We'd ride out in the woods and they would get a puncture (usually a thorn) every time until I treated the inner tubes.

Personally I go for kevlar tyres and pre-slimed tubes when I can. It can get messy if you get a big split rather than a puncture.

I've also seen tips about using a seat-belt inlay
Seat Belt Bike Tire Hack - BikeHacks

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I had a customer ask "Is Slime any good?" over the weekend, and being in a strange mood my reply began
"Just as a belief in God can never be confirmed it is impossible to say whether slime has helped prevent a flat tyre." I think my mood was due to my prayers for a sunny weekend having been totally ignored.
It sure is a thorny issue!

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
After the last puncture I had with the 1/2" screw, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that slime works with this sort of puncture. It will be useless with other sorts of puncture, pinch flats for instance, where the slime will not get to the hole. I have successfully repaired slime filled tubes, but I never attempt roadside repairs. It is simpler just to carry a spare tube and swap this in, then repair the tube at home.