Got my Cytronex!

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Hi I'm a new member and this is my first posting.

I ordered my new Cytronex Trek 7.3FX last Tuesday and picked it up on Saturday morning. Not bad for starters! 6 months agonising over whether to get one and a few days from ordering to sticking it in the boot of the car.

I'd seen the bike at Presteign but failed to get a ride. So, many thanks to Chris Bike and others for their excellent reports/reviews. Also to Flecc for all his technical info througout the forum which also helped me a lot.

Having done 40 miles on it since Saturday I can honestly say this bike more than meets my expectations.

It was great fun to ride and looks like a serious bike. I even caught my wife admiring it's good looks this evening! I was a bit concerned before I bought the bike about getting the right frame size, road vibration, and how much difference the assistance would actually make. The fit is perfect. Vibration is no issue whatsoever for me and the assistance is amazing (especially going up hills which is why I bought it). Also I was impressed at how much easier, and safer, traffic junctions and roundabouts are to negotiate. That extra acceleration really gives you confidence.

I'll be using the bike mostly for commuting to work - an 8 mile round trip on good roads and cycle paths. I decided to go electric because it's quicker than the car (which doesn't get to park on the premises), I hate cycling up hills and into strong headwinds, I like a bit of exercise and fresh air and I have some cartlidge problems with my knees. The only extras the bike has are a very nice pair of mudguards, and a comfort saddle. Oh yes, and many thanks to Sealtea and his tipoff for the Aldis Winter Cycling Stock 18th Sept . I managed to get a cool pair of biking gloves and some waterproof trousers last week at a very reasonable price. Yesterday they only had the socks and thermal underwear left - that stuff goes so fast!

Cheers
Barnowl

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Cytronex sounds ideal for your usage, the commute not long so not worth lugging around a big battery's weight. Glad that you're enjoying it, electric assist makes such a difference to cycling, removing the downsides and just leaving the pleasure.

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Glad to help and great to have another 'leccy bike rider on the road.

It'll change your life, a pretty big statement I know but at least in my case it's true.

People you don't know talk to you about it, outside supermarkets, at traffic lights and especially at work. Staff I barely know have been to see it in the garage and I've given loads of rides around the car park.

Have fun, a new chapter for you has just opened.

felix

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2008
Hi Barnowl.
Your commute distance is about the same as mine and I find the cytronex fits the bill perfectly with no problems to date. So glad I took the plunge. In my case the novelty just won't wear off and I'm riding every chance I get, like someone obsessed!.

Glad you got your winter gear ok, might be needing it soon!

Cheers,
Mike

Ettica

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2008
Heskin Lancashire
Hi Barnowl

I am a new member here to, glad you are happy with your purchase.

My leccy bike has changed my life for the better.

I Cycle to work now, 13.5 mile round trip (if I include going straight to the farm where we keep our horses then its 22 mile round trip)

I love it, and I have to make myself have a day off each week because my thigh muscles are tender!:)

I said to a friend the other day:
"I love going to work"
oh, that's great, what job do you do?
"I mean I love 'going to work', ..and coming home... but when I'm at work... well ... lets just say I look forward to coming home."
friend

I have just checked my bank statement and for the month prior to me getting my bike I put £161 of petrol in my car.

The month since buying my bike: £0

Brilliant! Love it!
disappears into the distance, ranting on about corporate conspiracies and government spinelessness

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Just about had my E bike for a week and I can fully understand why some become Evangelical regards the pursuit......I already feel a little guilty when I use the car. Also very liberating pedaling along in a bus lane past miles of stagnant traffic. Wet weather gear ordered yesterday, my last excuse gone! lol

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Thanks for the positive responses. Great to get when you've never posted anything on a forum before.
I'm on holiday this week and the weather has been good so I've had lots of opportunity to go out and explore. I ventured out down the country lanes today. Very pleasant too. Sadly some of those road surfaces were rough though and I can well understand why people go for the softer options when choosing a bike. Horses for courses I suppose. I'm a townie and generally the roads round these parts are good.
Speaking of which I found the 2 free Cycling Maps (Solihull & Birmingham) I picked up from the library and the council web site very useful for planning routes and avoiding the worst the traffic has to offer. Definitely recommended.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Ettica

That's some saving you've made on just fuel alone! You're probably going to save on tyres, spare parts and servicing too.You might even get an insurance discount for doing less miles. I'm sure your muscles will get use to the exercise. I'm feeling a bit tender in places myself. All the best.

Ettica

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2008
Heskin Lancashire
Cheers Barnowl

I just can't bring myself to get in my car now :)

My instruments on my car show that I have 50 miles of petrol left so I am going to see if I can't eek it out until Christmas...... :D

Chris_Bike

Pedelecer
May 20, 2008
Birmingham
I'm pleased you like it Barnowl - we're still loving ours.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I'm glad - I think everything you ever said about the bike was right. Before I ordered I had considered having it for 6 months and selling it if I didn't take to it. It's not an option now! Maybe I'll see you on the road sometime. Won't be hard to spot.:D

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

Can you turn a throttle on cyronex and is it quick at the traffic lights. My Izip is sluggish usually have to pedal 3 times to get a rush.

How much is it?

thx

Bob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi

Can you turn a throttle on cyronex and is it quick at the traffic lights. My Izip is sluggish usually have to pedal 3 times to get a rush.

How much is it?

thx

Bob
No it's button control, low or high power settings, and it's not intended to drive off the mark. The technique is to switch in the power at 5 mph after first pedalling away.

It's not like other e-bikes, intended as a normal light bike with power assist for hills.

Last seen price £995

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
Hi

Can you turn a throttle on cyronex and is it quick at the traffic lights.
I suppose it depends on what you mean by `quick`. It is my first ebike so i have nothing to compare it too.

I am quite heavy but certainly feel the power kick in when the button is pressed. It only takes a couple of pedal turns to reach 5mph.

Hooligooner

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2008
HP13
hooligooner.blogspot.com
Jumped in the car for the first time in weeks, last Friday, I wanted to transport my MTB to a nearby town for a bit of muddy riding. Only problem was the handbrake had seized on.

Oops!

Cytronex is going to be my next bike, oh yes.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi Hooli

What is the range of the cyronex flat out all the way.

I have a gammy knee, and need extra shove at the start of pedalling will this be good for me.

Does the button act as the throttle and is there a off switch for down hill.

thx

Bob

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
Oooh! Nice bike!.

I might've considered getting one if I didn't already own a Wisper. Although the wheels look a little too skinny for my taste. But I'm sure it'll much quicker on the roads because of those wheels.

and I especially love that battery that looks like a water bottle!. Just make sure that nobody tries to drink out of it!

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Hi Hooli

What is the range of the cyronex flat out all the way.

I have a gammy knee, and need extra shove at the start of pedalling will this be good for me.

Does the button act as the throttle and is there a off switch for down hill.

thx

Bob
The cytronex needs pedalling to 5mph before turning on the power,it is really aimed at fitter cyclists who need a little help occasionally,and is not really suitable for full power all the way riding.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Hi wotwozere

I have 2 dodgy knees. Mine give me a lot of gip when walking especially with a backpack weighing a stone - walking from public car park to office 15 mins away. The most I've done on my Cytronix in one go is 9 miles and I've had no knee issues whatsoever. Walking any distance is moderately painfull for me. I don't think you need to be fit to ride the Cytronex. I'm not. But then it's all relative and I've no doubt some people could have a lot of problems pedelling any bike. The bike does work without pedalling quite well but I've no idea how far it will go. I'm sure it could get me home in an emergency though. Depends on the distance and how heavy you are how far.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Hi wotwozere

I have 2 dodgy knees. Mine give me a lot of gip when walking especially with a backpack weighing a stone - walking from public car park to office 15 mins away. The most I've done on my Cytronix in one go is 9 miles and I've had no knee issues whatsoever. Walking any distance is moderately painfull for me. I don't think you need to be fit to ride the Cytronex. I'm not. But then it's all relative and I've no doubt some people could have a lot of problems pedelling any bike. The bike does work without pedalling quite well but I've no idea how far it will go. I'm sure it could get me home in an emergency though. Depends on the distance and how heavy you are how far.
Do you use the motor to help you pull away from a standing start,and how often do you use full power,do you encounter many steep hills,