Got my wisper!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And even more intriguingly, it says intelligent cruise control.

Radar sensors to detect traffic ahead? :rolleyes:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I wonder! Has the Wisper 705 yet seen the light of day? It's so long since it was launched but I'm not sure they've come to market yet. Maybe they're perfecting that intelligent cruise control?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Frank, Yes I agree, it's very annoying when negotiating crowded cycle lanes, to find the machine surges forward resulting in using the brakes to check the speed. And of course, I am constantly aware of the waste of power this causes.

Just goes to show how each individual machine requires it's own riding technique to get the best from them.

Cheers

Bob
Yes thats how I feel as well.......the power delivery is far from subtle and is wasteful IMO. I want to exercise and add the power when i need it, not be hurled forward, where I feel my peddling is struggling and not contributing. Maybe I should have bought a pro connect.

The wisper needs more R&D I think

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes thats how I feel as well.......the power delivery is far from subtle and is wasteful IMO. I want to exercise and add the power when i need it, not be hurled forward, where I feel my peddling is struggling and not contributing. Maybe I should have bought a pro connect.

The wisper needs more R&D I think
I think this is common to most of the powerful hub motor bikes, the eZee models very similar. The lack of fine control on Hall sensor throttles is partly to blame of course, and eZee's 9 position switched EAF control was one answer to that, though even with that, many just used it in a couple of positions like 5 and 9.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Try this

Eddy,

When riding slowly, I now use "Mussels" idea, turn the electrics off with the red button. When on an upslope, and you need the assist, just flick it back on. Save the battery capacity for when you really need it.

Part of my 20 mile ride this morning was on an old rail track, it has a very, very slight downslope throughout it's entire mile and a half. I turned the power off and easily maintained 15 MPH with the pedals. I think you need to stick with it until your fitness level returns.

Two years ago my riding style was me assisting the motor when needed on hills and pulling away, Now that the strength has returned to my legs it's exactly the opposite, I am now strong enough on the pedals to only use the assist when really needed. By the way, I still had all three LED's when returning home. Mind you, the last mile to my house was a very smooth and wide cycleway, I couldn't resist the temptation, on went the "afterburners" for a quick thrash!!.

Using this refined riding technique, together with my own improved fitness, I see no reason why the upper quoted range figure of 60 miles could not be achieved. Quite likely, I will run some range tests again soon and see if I can hit that upper figure.

If all goes to plan, the "brute" should be arriving at the Port next week. I'm really looking forward to making it's aquaintance. Trouble is, i'm going to need a bigger stable!!

Regards

Bob

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Power control

Hi Guys

The 2009 Wispers come with hi and lo range which can be retrofitted to existing bikes.

The low is 20% and the hi 80% power, the beauty of this system when working in conjunction with the throttle is the 20% can be increased by simply gradually turning the throttle, this will have he effect of increasing the help from the motor up to 100% in 1% increments.

This is what our NZ means by cruise controll, his words not ours and I assume the intelligence comes from the rider!!:eek:

Regards David

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Hi Guys

The 2009 Wispers come with hi and lo range which can be retrofitted to existing bikes.

The low is 20% and the hi 80% power, the beauty of this system when working in conjunction with the throttle is the 20% can be increased by simply gradually turning the throttle, this will have he effect of increasing the help from the motor up to 100% in 1% increments.

This is what our NZ means by cruise controll, his words not ours and I assume the intelligence comes from the rider!!:eek:

Regards David
Interesting, David,

Why not take it to 100%? That is the problem with the pedelec system as it currently is - it doesn't give as much power as with the throttle. It doesn't sound like your new system adresses this.

On the original SE, of course, there is an easy if not completely safe solution, which is to fix the throttle permanently open and use the red button on the right to switch full power on and off as required. Before good old Jimmy England got to the bottom of the original pedelec wiring problems that is what I actually did, and the bike performed well, both in speed and range.

seeker

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2008
Ooer

Interesting, David,

Why not take it to 100%? That is the problem with the pedelec system as it currently is - it doesn't give as much power as with the throttle. It doesn't sound like your new system adresses this.

On the original SE, of course, there is an easy if not completely safe solution, which is to fix the throttle permanently open and use the red button on the right to switch full power on and off as required. Before good old Jimmy England got to the bottom of the original pedelec wiring problems that is what I actually did, and the bike performed well, both in speed and range.
Hi Frank,

I second your first comment, in fact I'm feeling a bit thick, as I don't understand what that new system addresses. :confused:

However, with a permanantly open I would be worried about missing that button when I need to stop or accidently turning it on when walking it in a crowd.
I've lost count of the times I've turned the key to find the button already in the on position. Would be an accident waiting to happen with me.:eek:

Regards,

Seeker

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Exactly - that's why I didn't post it on the forum at the time, as I didn't want to encourage others to do it! Now the pedelec does work, it's not worth the extra risk for only a small power gain.

I think the ideal would be a "boost button" that took the power up to 100% but which was reset to off if the brakes were touched

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I think the ideal would be a "boost button" that took the power up to 100% but which was reset to off if the brakes were touched
I would like to change by handlebars and the requirement for a twist grip is very restricting, a push and hold button would be much easier. Unfortunately the ideal handlebars haven't been found yet but I'll keep searching for something that won't obstruct my hallway so much.