Greenway Cross City

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Couldn't resist going out for a quick spin!

After a short (1 mile) ride, it now seems to ride how I hoped it would, despite the controller being configured to draw less power from the battery.

I'm looking forward to the ride on Sunday!

Reactions: brightonebikes

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Couldn't resist going out for a quick spin!

After a short (1 mile) ride, it now seems to ride how I hoped it would, despite the controller being configured to draw less power from the battery.

I'm looking forward to the ride on Sunday!
I would think a fair bit more oomph When pedal cadence is up compared to before where it was all at power start and work hard afterwards to get top end.

• Agree
Reactions: redcup1999

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
The cable plugs into the green Higo connector where the display currently does, no need to remove anything to do that.
Totally agree that the battery performance is underwhelming. I don't think I'll go up to 48V, but will spec. something up to 36V approx. 15Ah with continuous discharge rating of 25A and max of 30A.
With a view of using the bike in places where the full potential of the motor can be unleashed without contravening any laws power allowance wise, including upping the max assist speed limit, it definitely needs an uprated battery to do so.
As it stands it's perfectly usable if you don't wish to rinse the thing for everything it's got to offer
Moving forward with throttle fitting too, but will update on that at a latter time ;)
Went out on mine again today with the keep current set to 60% rather than measly 30 , left the amps at 20 , Wow what a difference to the bike! with the 48t sprocket 30mph on the flat with no hard work however battery is working hard to fuel that motor I think ,as that sensitive battery meter plummets downwards quickly but only takes a minute of easier riding to recover massively,
I'm viewing your quote above with interest Brighton,as a good 36v pack as you state with the amperage discharge to match this controller would be enough for this Beastie, as I'm entering motorcycle territory by upping voltage/speed.
Really think that 20mph cruise and capable of 30+ if I up my pedal speed and assist level is more than enough otherwise I'll just become a menace endangering myself and others, (I've seen 37mph but was working hard for it) . This bike is a lot of fun that's for sure.

The voices made me do it

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Still not enough welly on the Greenway for the big hill on Sunday - but I had done a 30 mile ride on a non-assisted bike on Friday, so my legs were a bit heavy - otherwise an improvement on how it rode before.

So I've bitten the bullet and ordered a 15Ah 36V 30Q Dolphin Pack from Jimmy - should be capable of putting 25Amps out continuous which will transform the bike (or give very good service life at 18Amps) :)

Still not enough welly on the Greenway for the big hill on Sunday - but I had done a 30 mile ride on a non-assisted bike on Friday, so my legs were a bit heavy - otherwise an improvement on how it rode before.

So I've bitten the bullet and ordered a 15Ah 36V 30Q Dolphin Pack from Jimmy - should be capable of putting 25Amps out continuous which will transform the bike (or give very good service life at 18Amps) :)
The not enough welly thing.... that's the difference between the PAS on a BBSxx motor and the torque sensor on a Max Drive motor.
I think you'd like the BBSxx :)

Battery thing... Look forward to hearing how you get on once that puppy is fitted.

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
If someone has the Bafang Config Tool up and running, what is the procedure to make the changes outlined above - and at what points do you use the 'Read' & 'Write' once connected?

Last edited:

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011

Seconded Redcup on the update for the new battery your fitting,
What was your assist level up the hill?
Re-Plug yours in and up the amps, crank the assist to 5 and give it a quick spin, see if you come back with a big grin it'll give you an insight to how it'll perform with a top battery.
Watch your existing battery level drop quicker than a hookers knickers, goes back up after too haha.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Seconded Redcup on the update for the new battery your fitting,
What was your assist level up the hill?
Re-Plug yours in and up the amps, crank the assist to 5 and give it a quick spin, see if you come back with a big grin it'll give you an insight to how it'll perform with a top battery.
Watch your existing battery level drop quicker than a hookers knickers, goes back up after too haha.
Assist level 5, Curent Limit 14amps (too low!), and keep current of 70. i.e. only 9.8amps when spinning away.

Like you suggest, I will give 20amps current limit and keep current of 60 a go.

I will reserve assist level 5 for 20 second burst until the new battery arrives!

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
That particular test will have to wait :(

On my last ride, towards the end the left pedal started to wobble.

On checking, it looked like it had worked slightly loose in the crank arm - the threads are now pretty messed up - what on earth do they make these cranks from - chocolate? 50 miles that lasted - first time I've ever had that on any bike. I guess it is my fault for not checking the torque - but do I need to do that before every ride?

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
That's not good, has it pulled the threads to make arm loose or is it the paint that rubbed off the arms that has caused the initial looseness?
Most likey made up from Fiat Uno's or Austin Allegro's
I'll check mine , and now am tempted to undo then loctite in place ,
Helicoils kits are cheap and easy enough to do nowadays , let's hope u get away with a clean up

Last edited:

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
I would definitely check the torque on your pedals - I have had a quick google and it looks like the Bafang crank arms are known for being slightly weak. I think I have a metric Tap and Die set in the garage, so will see what I can do.

I would contact Greenway, but I am not convinced this is a warranty issue more an inattentive owner issue!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
On my last ride, towards the end the left pedal started to wobble.
it's possible that your left crank bolt has not been tightened enough.
The torsion placed on the left crank arm is much greater than on the right one because it is much farther from the chain than the right crank arm. The torsion causes the crank arm to work loose.
I usually replace the 8mm Allen bolts with hex bolts and torque it really well, about 40NM on the left side.

• Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I feel your pain! Left crank arms are my Achilles heel...

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
Anyone here able to link to a USB to serial driver -XP?
(for the programming cable)
Laptop may pick it up but cant find a driver.
Exhausted all on-line efforts to find a generic driver !
The pain, the pain....

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Anyone here able to link to a USB to serial driver -XP?
(for the programming cable)
Laptop may pick it up but cant find a driver.
Exhausted all on-line efforts to find a generic driver !
The pain, the pain....
I knicked my daughters windows tablet to run my program, which is windows 10 , it auto loaded a driver. I'm all Apple

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
Hi U - no such luck here either on an XP or W10 device.
Just a bit frustrating....
Anyone?

Once redcup has his pedal problem fixed I imagine we're all keen to hear of his new battery experience. I rather think it will be the good news we're all expecting.
I expect he is even keener and I hope the 'teething troubles' with his bike will all be over then too.

• Agree

Related Articles

Advertisers