Greenway Cross City

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
Buddy has now found the missing USB serial driver for the Bafang Controller Cable from Insat- it is not a Windows generic driver but is the one linked on their Ebay site for download.
Installed and picked up at once on W7.
Phew.....

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
I would contact Greenway, but I am not convinced this is a warranty issue more an inattentive owner issue!
I decided to contact Greenway anyway. As expected, they confirmed this is not a warranty issue. But they did support me by saying that they would pay for a new crank arm if I paid for the delivery from Taiwan.

To be honest, I don't think I could really have asked for more from an "Internet Only" dealer.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I decided to contact Greenway anyway. As expected, they confirmed this is not a warranty issue. But they did support me by saying that they would pay for a new crank arm if I paid for the delivery from Taiwan.

To be honest, I don't think I could really have asked for more from an "Internet Only" dealer.
Woosh guarantee crank arms.

Reactions: redcup1999

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Woosh guarantee crank arms.
That's quite impressive to cover something which can be damaged through lack of attention / care on the part of the user - something worth bearing in mind for any future purchases I make.

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
That said, it's quite possible with the new battery and controller upped a little you'll be singing all the way up :)
Talking of upgrades to this set up, does the Bafang 810 colour screen couple up to this max drive ?

Talking of upgrades to this set up, does the Bafang 810 colour screen couple up to this max drive ?
Really not sure. I'll give it a tickle.

Sent using this crappy tapatalk app. that has such poor functionality I can't even click 'like'!

Reactions: Ultrafunkula
Plugs in, switches on and recognises controller fine. Recognises speed sensor fine, speed increases/decreases fine. Just preliminary test in the workstand, would need to preform road test to check how it performs with other sensors etc. but on the face of it, it seems to work.

Sent using this crappy tapatalk app. that has such poor functionality I can't even click 'like'!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: redcup1999

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Plugs in, switches on and recognises controller fine. Recognises speed sensor fine, speed increases/decreases fine. Just preliminary test in the workstand, would need to preform road test to check how it performs with other sensors etc. but on the face of it, it seems to work.

Sounds good, I'm growing to like Bafang a lot, such is the interchangeability of parts and programming.

USPostalService

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 23, 2017
England
same problem with front disc brake, had to add washer and fine adjust several times.

bike performed well in really bad windy conditions, great for sprinting on, some slight wear on knee joint however i already had tired knees before i started using it, perhaps i need to change gear more often.

handles well on corners, never felt i was falling off, had problems almost dropping the bike a couple of times.

I want to upgade the functional components, including frame (duel suspension), discs, seat post, shocks, tyres, handle bar grips. would like a guide on modifying / updating firmware and any links to software or source code would be appreciated.

Reactions: Ultrafunkula
Yes - I had considered those - I suspect they may be a little stronger than the Bafang ones. I will see how I get on with the replacement (I have also ordered a £5 one from Ebay to get me back on the road whilst waiting for the Genuine Chinese Manufactured Bafang one - they probably come from the same factory as the ebay one)
Then there's these ;)buzzBarsStraight.JPG

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
I contacted Ewan Maxwell Emax bikes in Australia where the Emax max drive bike that Bruno did his eloquent "POWER" review on, and asked a few questions regarding our greenway bikes,
His answers were
1 it will not work with 48hr battery and 48v is not necessary for this motor
2 he carries all spares for the Max Drive inc controllers,
3 the 10.4 ah battery for this bike with 25a controller is way to small and running it anywhere near this limit will destroy the small battery pack very quickly,he recommends minimum 36v 17ah pack for this motor set up.

Bruno says Hi to all us UK Pedelecers

• Agree
Reactions: brightonebikes
I contacted Ewan Maxwell Emax bikes in Australia where the Emax max drive bike that Bruno did his eloquent "POWER" review on, and asked a few questions regarding our greenway bikes,
His answers were
1 it will not work with 48hr battery and 48v is not necessary for this motor
2 he carries all spares for the Max Drive inc controllers,
3 the 10.4 ah battery for this bike with 25a controller is way to small and running it anywhere near this limit will destroy the small battery pack very quickly,he recommends minimum 36v 17ah pack for this motor set up.

Bruno says Hi to all us UK Pedelecers
To add to that, throttle addition may not work so well as with the BBSxx owing to the torque sensor rather than PAS. Be interested in their opinion on that too...

Last edited:
Mmmmmm! Me likey!
Lekkie says the following about them
"Lekkie brings salvation to Bafang riders with the BUZZBARS pedal cranks.
The straight pair is designed to align pedals on the Max Drive motors.
Precision CNC cut from 6061 heat treated aluminium billet to bring ultimate stiffness and confidence to your ride.
Designed using optimisation software to ensure maximum strength with minimum weight achieving twice the strength of the stock Bafang cranks.
Self-extracting bolts mean easy replacement of chain rings and for motor servicing".
Not cheap at nearly 90 sobs :eek:, but I reckon you'll only ever have to buy one pair for life.

USPostalService

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 23, 2017
England
Can you fit mountain bike wheels and tyres to the greenway? The bike is already good off-road (I had the luck of a steep downhill trail dirt path on my delivery route) however fatter tyres would give it more use offroad.

Also need to know the suspension upgrades possible, is the bike designed with 63mm of travel? I would look for 120mm 700C (or maybe 29er) forks, with the same type of steering tube (i.e. are the Suntour NEX spring tubes using a tapered steerer?).

Bike would be better with dual suspension to prevent shock to the motor, controller and battery over bumps (hit several potholes in the dark). Don't know if the frame can be upgraded?

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Can you fit mountain bike wheels and tyres to the greenway? The bike is already good off-road (I had the luck of a steep downhill trail dirt path on my delivery route) however fatter tyres would give it more use offroad.

Also need to know the suspension upgrades possible, is the bike designed with 63mm of travel? I would look for 120mm 700C (or maybe 29er) forks, with the same type of steering tube (i.e. are the Suntour NEX spring tubes using a tapered steerer?).

Bike would be better with dual suspension to prevent shock to the motor, controller and battery over bumps (hit several potholes in the dark). Don't know if the frame can be upgraded?
Plenty of room in the rear for much wider tyre, 650b rims ,think the front is 1,1/8 fork unit again easy to upgrade and plenty of room for wider rim in std forks which are a little on the soft side.

Related Articles

Advertisers