Greenway Cross City

Interesting, yes I recall reading it now - so it seems to be the case that the controller is sending this extra info but the supplied display is set to ignore it. 'Crippleware' can sometimes be overcome with firmware upgrade if it can be obtained.
Buddy also noticed that the extended program area of the display (after the code input) has a final section with extensive battery diagnostics etc that is also unpopulated. Possibly related crippleware?
It could be that although the generic lcd display may show the function(s), the specific pcb inside may not feature those functions.

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
Makes sense. Curios though as to how the extended prog section shows the diagnostics but doesn't populate them. Bafang manual speaks of communication needing to be established between the battery and the controller to supply the figures, so it looks like the display is trying for us!

Reactions: USPostalService

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A few folk on here were in the process of upgrading their battery, how is that going?
Buddy had done approx 100 miles on the orig battery now, having tweaked the controller to 14a, current decay @ 7 and keep current @ 75%.
He's a 100kg feller and quite fit with it - although no road-racer he keeps a rather fast cadence to suit the motors characteristic.
His feedback is that he just ignores the sag indicated on the display, rides pretty much consistently at assist 3 and uses 5 from time to time. Plenty of pretty hefty hills and very little flat. Gets 30 miles from a charge before he calls it a day - although there is still a bar left on the display as he rides those hills - recovering to 3 bars once home and stationary.
A 30q or GA 17ah 36v is definitely going to improve on all that and I'm sure we'd all be interested to know how much & what controller set up is in use.
Still pretty good for the Samsung 10.4 ah orig though - you think?
His riding style is similar to mine and the GSM is very similar to the Bafang (in energy consumption). How long are the hills? My hills are long enough that the LVC will shut the battery down after about 25 miles (40 km) on the hills and it will come back up over 35 V when stopped.

Interesting, yes I recall reading it now - so it seems to be the case that the controller is sending this extra info but the supplied display is set to ignore it. 'Crippleware' can sometimes be overcome with firmware upgrade if it can be obtained.
Buddy also noticed that the extended program area of the display (after the code input) has a final section with extensive battery diagnostics etc that is also unpopulated. Possibly related crippleware?
I don't think the Chinese are as sophisticated as that. There are lots of features built into the LCD screen so that it can be used with several different controllers, they are just saving money. Or maybe those features are under development on the controller side for a new version of the motor?

[/QUOTEI don't think the Chinese are as sophisticated as that. There are lots of features built into the LCD screen so that it can be used with several different controllers, they are just saving money. Or maybe those features are under development on the controller side for a new version of the motor?[/QUOTE]

Quite. It seems to me that these features can be built in or left out at point of manufacture. I've a number of the C965 displays that vary a bit.
Some have no watt meter but still present on the generic LCD. After months of using one without the watt meter and wishing it had watt meter, I then discovered I could switch it on and off in the back of the menu options!
Any new ones I get I make sure have watt meter as I think it's quite handy/interesting to have.
It's the temperature in degrees for the controller I'd like to see in operation. Hopefully as you say, these features are in development. Very forward thinking of the original LCD design to incorporate so many potential features.

Last edited:

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Or maybe those features are under development on the controller side for a new version of the motor?
Or maybe the newer version of the controller (which comes with blue connectors) has the appropriate updates in.

If only there was somebody dumb enough on this site to blow their controller through complete stupidity such that they had to order a new one (walks off whistling...)

• :D
Reactions: anotherkiwi

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
How do you plan to wire it in Red.
Existing controller wires to batt or new batt wires to controller?
Good question.
The new battery has been supplied with Anderson connectors already attached (and spare Anderson connectors).
The Bafang controller has bullet connectors.
Decisions Decisions!
I have a big bag of bullet connectors spare.
Although I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Good question.
The new battery has been supplied with Anderson connectors already attached (and spare Anderson connectors).
The Bafang controller has bullet connectors.
Decisions Decisions!
I have a big bag of bullet connectors spare.
Although I guess it doesn't matter too much.
Anderson all day long. Snip those bullets off and fit the supplied Anderson I say :)

Reactions: redcup1999

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
Buddy is in the Pennine foothills so it's mostly long rolling hills with short heart- bursters here & there.

LVC is default to 32v - buddy recalls Jimmy Insat saying too high and would be much better at 28v to preserve battery longevity. They were discussing a 30q set up but perhaps applies to any decent brand?

re unpopulated indicators - agree it's looking like a controller matter. But after Brightons comments about sudden appearance buddy had chanted a spell over the display....

USPostalService

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 23, 2017
England
Here's the manual link (it has the extended battery detail)

http://www.bafang-systems.com/fileadmin/Media/Components/Motor/Product_Motor/MAX_Drive_System_dealer_Manual_EN_15-04-22.compressed.pdf

I've done about 800km on the bike already. I weigh about 80-85 kg probably and carry a load. I find that to go at 25kmph I usually need to go to a higher assistance level (or ride downhill). Any information about battery upgrades is very helfpul. I also have some experience with electronics and Arduino and would like to power up a flash light with the intended wire, maybe even a brake light, however that would require possibly having a connector between the e-brake's electric signal and another wire to switch the brake light on.

About speed settings - a rev is a rev, but the wheel sizes aren't great, I haven't tried to change size, however I thought 27.5er wheels with fat tyres also happen to be 700mm (700C). The tyre on the greenway is about 4cm each way, if the inner rim is 622 then the total diameter is 702 approx. Most 27.5er's seem to have the same end diameter, and are probably safer. The manual says how to align the magnet properly.

I would get a larger battery and run fatter tyres - lose some efficiency and add safetly, after all it is a heavy bike and could be nasty to fall off.

More to the point ... Is the bike water proof ?

The company informed me that it could be ridded in light rain but the bafang manual says to not completely submerge the max drive. I am guessing the circuits are treated like the one in this video

however the motor cannot be shorted - If they have not bothered then its a good upgrade for the case of getting caught in wet weather. I have taped over inlets and used celethane bags over electrical components (some standard lights will fail in heavy rain)

It's a good bike, although not without electricity.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
"Some have no watt meter but still present on the generic LCD. After months of using one without the watt meter and wishing it had watt meter, I then discovered I could switch it on and off in the back of the menu options!"

@ brightonebikes

Really??

I have the C965a om my BBS setup. where in the Menu system did you find that?

"Some have no watt meter but still present on the generic LCD. After months of using one without the watt meter and wishing it had watt meter, I then discovered I could switch it on and off in the back of the menu options!"

@ brightonebikes

Really??

I have the C965a om my BBS setup. where in the Menu system did you find that?
It's switched on and off by selecting either 0 for off or 1 for on at this screen of the menu... Yours might not have that screen as an option?

USPostalService

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 23, 2017
England
The manual says that error code 22 will be displayed in the case of BMS communication fault ... i can't see where the battery data link is from inspection, it just has 2 (visible) kettle style connectors (presumably +VCC and GND) as said in previous posts.

@brightonebikes: is that display for a Greenway max drive bike ?

The manual says that error code 22 will be displayed in the case of BMS communication fault ... i can't see where the battery data link is from inspection, it just has 2 (visible) kettle style connectors (presumably +VCC and GND) as said in previous posts.

@brightonebikes: is that display for a Greenway max drive bike ?
Na. Bafang C965 from BBS.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
I've been looking into installing a front and rear light on my Greenway, as I gather it has the necessary connectors under the motor cover at the controller end.

I know to look for 6v compatible ebike lights but what type of cables/connectors should I be looking for to connect them up to the controller hopefully plug'n'play style ?

Would this do the job ?....
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/bosch-cable-for-the-headlight-505031

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
I've been looking into installing a front and rear light on my Greenway, as I gather it has the necessary connectors under the motor cover at the controller end.

I know to look for 6v compatible ebike lights but what type of cables/connectors should I be looking for to connect them up to the controller hopefully plug'n'play style ?

Spotted this as type of connector on the motor looks like you could snip it off and just fit your own connectors but would then be non waterproof connection , Bafang need to get with the program a little to make these optional extras available.
https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/30/the-lastest-bbs02-drive-units-are-shipping-with-a-dedicated-6v-headlight-connector/

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Cut the Bafang connector off and use an XT30.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Thanks for the advice.
I don't possess a soldering iron so was hoping to go with what's there plus electrical tape and heat shrink for the light connection.
I haven't had the motor casing off yet to have a look but I thought from looking at the light connections on p.24 of the Bafang max drive manual (attached) that the Bosch cable I linked to might already have the right connector..? It looks similar to me anyway.

Attachments

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
I haven't had the motor casing off yet to have a look but I thought from looking at the light connections on p.24 of the Bafang max drive manual (attached) that the Bosch cable I linked to might already have the right connector..? It looks similar to me anyway.
I have the motor casing off at the moment - if I have time I will take a picture this evening so you can have a proper comparison of the connectors.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Nice one, thanks Red. Be interesting to see how much room there is for connectors and cables too.
I know Bosch like to keep things proprietary where possible so their connections might be slightly different.

Related Articles

Advertisers