Greenway Cross City

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Curious! I wonder if yours is unique in that respect?

I did a 32.6 mile ride today.

The new controller has completely resolved the issue with the wacky battery gauge - it is far more stable and no longer drops down and then recovers when going up a long steep hill.

Whether this is merely a fix for a display issue or a change in the way power is drawn from the battery I do not know.

Today I had current limit=20Amps, Current Decay=7, Keep current = 60%. Original battery. The bike performed really well and still had 2 bars out of 10 on the display at the end of the ride.

I am tempted to bump up Keep Current to 75% for my next ride and then call it a day with regards to tuning.
I noticed you have the low voltage at a high 32v I dropped mine to 29 my keep current is 85% and running 22a, your settings at 1,3,5 7,9 are a bit on the low side, I have 20% 40% 60% 80% 100% respectively seems logical at the 5 levels, my start power I've dropped to 20% from 30

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
I noticed you have the low voltage at a high 32v I dropped mine to 29 my keep current is 85% and running 22a, your settings at 1,3,5 7,9 are a bit on the low side, I have 20% 40% 60% 80% 100% respectively seems logical at the 5 levels, my start power I've dropped to 20% from 30
I hadn't even spotted how low the level settings were - those are standard on the new controller - and a lot lower than the old one! I will tweak those as well before my next ride.

Have you reduced the start power to try and protect the plastic gears?

I will drop the LVC a bit - maybe just to 30v.

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
I hadn't even spotted how low the level settings were - those are standard on the new controller - and a lot lower than the old one! I will tweak those as well before my next ride.

Have you reduced the start power to try and protect the plastic gears?

I will drop the LVC a bit - maybe just to 30v.
Yes it was a bit strong on the initial kick from start, so just softened it off a little, You'll notice a big difference putting the keep current up, the bike power doesn't fade away as speed gets higher it just keeps going, motor noise is a little more noticeable though but does fade once motor speed is near maximum.

• Agree
Reactions: redcup1999

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Had a pleasant ride out Sunday with family (and next door-neighbour) Rob on his new Greenway Tour/City bike. He bought the last one of those models from Kamil at ELBC last week, having been impressed trying mine the weekend before.
It's another crackingly spec'ed bike for the money, and comes with sks muddies, rear rack and a full light set (I'm not at all jealous..:(). Only compromise was mech disc brakes instead of hydraulics on the Cross model.
He's made up with it, having thought long and hard about coming over to the 'dark side' of ebikes.
He now knows what he's been missing as you can see from his smile in the photo below, of a gaggle(?) of Greenways taken on the Wirral Way with an Irish Sea backdrop in pretty windy conditions.

Reactions: D8ve and Gaz
Had a pleasant ride out Sunday with family (and next door-neighbour) Rob on his new Greenway Tour/City bike. He bought the last one of those models from Kamil at ELBC last week, having been impressed trying mine the weekend before.
It's another crackingly spec'ed bike for the money, and comes with sks muddies, rear rack and a full light set (I'm not at all jealous..:(). Only compromise was mech disc brakes instead of hydraulics on the Cross model.
He's made up with it, having thought long and hard about coming over to the 'dark side' of ebikes.
He now knows what he's been missing as you can see from his smile in the photo below, of a gaggle(?) of Greenways taken on the Wirral Way with an Irish Sea backdrop in pretty windy conditions.

Lovely stuff.
He does look rather happy about it, and rightly so. [emoji3]
The sea in the background tells the story of the day's weather.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I can't see the photo :(

That version was my preferred one. You can always pop a hydraulic brake on the front.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Wonder why the photo's not displaying for you kiwi ? Sure I've done it right as Brighton can see it.
I nearly went for the Tour model but preferred the look and style of the Cross (the matt black finish is nicer than the gloss imo..) and also helped with hydraulics as standard.
Unfortunately a 30.9 seat post shim is too tight a fit for my 27.2 NCX seatpost but now I've changed the bar to a trekking swept-back style with ergon grips, which transforms the ride for me, and the Lidl saddle the bike's much comfier anyway so might stick with the standard post.

Attachments

Reactions: LeighPing
Wonder why the photo's not displaying for you kiwi ? Sure I've done it right as Brighton can see it.
I nearly went for the Tour model but preferred the look and style of the Cross (the matt black finish is nicer than the gloss imo..) and also helped with hydraulics as standard.
Unfortunately a 30.9 seat post shim is too tight a fit for my 27.2 NCX seatpost but now I've changed the bar to a trekking swept-back style with ergon grips, which transforms the ride for me, and the Lidl saddle the bike's much comfier anyway so might stick with the standard post.
could you take a round file to the shim, to shave off the miniscule amount shouldn't be too much difficulty?

• Agree

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Unfortunately a 30.9 seat post shim is too tight a fit for my 27.2 NCX seatpost
I found the 30.9 seat post I ordered would not fit.
Rather than hack it about, I decided to order a 27.2 seatpost and an appropriate (30.4) shim from Aliexpress - the shim was just over 3 quid delivered.

If anybody wants a "Cube" 30.9 suspension seat post, let me know!

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
could you take a round file to the shim, to shave off the miniscule amount shouldn't be too much difficulty?
Not sure I can be ar**d tbh Brighton.
I'll just send it back to Tredz with some other stuff I'm returning, as it was a bit dearer than Red's one at £8.99.
I'm likely to be ordering some lights soon from Bike24 so probably get a 30.4 shim from them.

Not sure I can be ar**d tbh Brighton.
I'll just send it back to Tredz with some other stuff I'm returning, as it was a bit dearer than Red's one at £8.99.
I'm likely to be ordering some lights soon from Bike24 so probably get a 30.4 shim from them.
Fair doos, pretty dear for a shim at £9, eh.

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Great Pic of the bikes, like that Lidl saddle with a cut out for your gooch looks comfy.
On the touring model do the lights work off the Bafang thumb control panel?
And what make are they,? generic Brand?
Glad to see you guys enjoying the Greenway bikes as much as I enjoy mine,
Make sure you check those crank arms.

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
Anyone here upgraded their battery yet and if so how are you finding the difference & what controller programming are you using.
Also, any issues/methods when fitting the new one?

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
Phil - what handlebars & grips did you choose? Buddy finds that the control cable from the gear sensor into the frame is quite tight & concerned about how new bars might affect this - or perhaps there is some 'slack' to be found down in the gubbins at the controller end?

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Anyone here upgraded their battery yet and if so how are you finding the difference & what controller programming are you using.
Also, any issues/methods when fitting the new one?
Still waiting for my battery from Jimmy, should be the end of the week, I'm ignoring the display battery guage now and going by the one on the battery, although now battery is being cycled ,the display battery meter has calmed down a bit. Walk away come back 5 mins later, battery has self charged,hehe.
Redcup has his new battery, and controller , just waiting to hear the results.
I'm running 22a with 85% keep current, and start up current reduced from 30 to 20% as I didn't like the initial take off,this start up even though more gentle doesn't seem to make gear senor cut in unduly bad, I may do as Brighton did and disconnect it, not sure it needs 22a as biggest difference was the keep current at 85% , the motor stays on the boil all the way up instead of fading.
Still running 48t for road use with 38t for off-road.no signs of getting hot
I've yet to give it a grilling on Cannock chase but she's not gone pop yet.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
I have my battery from Jimmy, but it's currently sitting on the table in my dining room. Not entirely sure when I will fit it yet as the stock battery is actually performing pretty well.

I think the dodgy battery gauge along with a stupidly low standard "keep current" setting made me think the battery was a lot worse than it actually is.

I don't anticipate any problems with fitting - it should be pretty straightforward.

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
Buddy is pretty happy with his battery as supplied now it has had a few charges. But still a 15ah+ 30q will be sure to improve things in all depts.
He was also pleased to find that the lock-out lever on the forks also serves as an adjuster for fork stiffness.
And yes, he's always checking nuts, bolts & hex tension - and finding they need it too.
Thread lock blue to the rescue shortly.
Anyone found slack for the gear sensor control cable at the controller end?

Last edited:

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Great Pic of the bikes, like that Lidl saddle with a cut out for your gooch looks comfy.
On the touring model do the lights work off the Bafang thumb control panel?
And what make are they,? generic Brand?
Glad to see you guys enjoying the Greenway bikes as much as I enjoy mine,
Make sure you check those crank arms.
Thanks. Yeah liking the saddle so far, very gooch friendly..:D

On Rob's tourer you can switch the lights on/off manually from the thumb control or by default they come on via the light sensor on the back of the LCD (the same time as the LCD backlight decides to come on in low light). He was well chuffed when he saw this.
The lights are both Spanninga, Lineo on the rear and Kendo on the front, not bad for freebies.

Yes loving it so far, and bizarrely the best but cheapest ebike I've bought so far in 6 years of riding them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ultrafunkula

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Phil - what handlebars & grips did you choose? Buddy finds that the control cable from the gear sensor into the frame is quite tight & concerned about how new bars might affect this - or perhaps there is some 'slack' to be found down in the gubbins at the controller end?
I fitted an NC17 Trekking 318 bar with Ergon GC1 grips as I have the same combo on my Oxygen bike and like the rise and sweep and the GC1's are designed for swept back bars.
No problems with the cabling after fitting as the bar brings the cables backwards slightly to offset the rise I think.
I'll post a better photo later if you'd like a closer view of the setup and cables.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Some photos showing the new bar height and sweep. Gives the bike a more natural riding position imo...I like to sit upright and take in the scenery.
Also shows cables not too stretched Recy and the bar moves to extremes ok.IMG_20170321_195306957.jpg IMG_20170321_195350894.jpg IMG_20170321_195454025.jpg

Related Articles

Advertisers