Greenway Cross City

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
Looks good, an 'easy rider' no doubt.
Buddy & I decided to get down to the cables at the controller and find a little slack for gear sensor control cable which is quite restrictive.
Whipped off the hex nut on the non chainring crank only to find that the crank arm is well and truly staying put despite a few tugs & (gentle!) taps from the rubber mallet of destiny - you can imagine our surprise at that after the fears of loose cranks etc.
Anyone have any ideas how to remove it without a visit to LBD?
Or is it a case of 'special tool' because the plastic casing won't withstand a puller against it - or am I missing something due to inexperience.
I was very tempted with the rubber mallet of destiny, but I know that madness lies down that path...

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
IMG_0032.JPG Gear puller shouldn't touch the plastic. Or try a screw in crank extractor this one £7 from halifrauds Have a google.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: redcup1999

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Those bars remind me of my younger days, they look like a modern set of cow horns

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
Has anyone applied new grease to the Maxdrive gearbox yet?
if so what is the procedure and what grease would you recommend.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there should be enough grease in the gearbox for at least 1,000+ miles. Why do you want to re-grease it so early?

there should be enough grease in the gearbox for at least 1,000+ miles. Why do you want to re-grease it so early?
Not that I've done it to my Max Drive, but Bafang do seem to be a bit stingy with the secondary drive grease from factory on BBS motors, so it may follow that it's a good preventative measure?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I usually add grease not so much because the CD motor needs lubrication but more to stop water and dirt getting in.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Mobil 28 or Aeroshell 22.
Have a look on ebay I got a tube of Aeroshell for about £9

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
I finally got round to fitting my BGA 30Q battery pack and took it for a spin today.

Pretty much what I had hoped for - more of a shove at higher assist levels and no sign of sag at all on the display or felt through the legs when going up a long hill.

Running at 20amps limit with 80% keep current. I'm now very happy with the bike - it does everything I could ask of it. I've also fitted the saddle from my Kudos Tornado which is way more comfortable for me than the stock Greenway one! To be honest I'm really not sure what more I would expect from spending extra on a Bosch motored bike. (other than more expensive replacement parts!)

I'm shortly moving home to a house around 29 miles from work - I was hoping this bike / battery combo would enable me to still cycle to work occasionally - I think it will do it (just!).

IMG_20170421_104854.jpg

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
To be honest I'm really not sure what more I would expect from spending extra on a Bosch motored bike. (other than more expensive replacement parts!)
the Bafang Max Drive would be an excellent choice for a commuter bike but I would have thought 29 miles a day is too much.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
the Bafang Max Drive would be an excellent choice for a commuter bike but I would have thought 29 miles a day is too much.
I'm aware it is ambitious - I'm talking about once a week through the summer.

I did use to do an occasional (very!) commute that was 37 miles each way on a non-assisted bike - that was too much for sure.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
30Q's should be a good choice, the cells are 15amp rated and quite good for it as well and a lot better then the 29E's before them. My two batteries with 29E's didn't handle the GSM well when derestricted and the cells have lost a bit of capacity, they are only about 5/6amp rated and with 5p should give 25/30amps. I think when derestricted the cells weren't able to handle the discharge and got very hot and this has caused the damage, they are still soldering on though and still give 20/25 miles range with my 500w cst.

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
I've picked up but not fitted my 17.5ah GA called pack from BGA ,50amp bums discharge fitted so well up for the Max drive motor, I'm aiming to do a 50 mile jaunt to the missus house when weather is safe bet,
How is motor temperature Redcup with your battery pack?

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
How is motor temperature Redcup with your battery pack?
To be honest I've not felt the motor or battery after a ride - I think if it was properly hot I would have felt it radiating. I will check it tomorrow after my commute in to the office though.

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
Buddy (100kg) has a 18ah 30q fitted now and has no issues @22a and 85% in hilly terrain. 'Pulls like a train'.
Question: If the motor is at peak efficiency at 75% of max rpm (I've read elsewhere) what cadence is that? And with the std 36t chain wheel and gears as supplied with the 700c wheel set what road speed would that equate to in top gear?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't have experience with the Max Drive but going by the BBS01/02, running on 36V battery, on maximum cadence (on throttle) is about 86 rpm.
Top efficiency is about 70-75 rpm. It's about 20% higher running on 48V.
And with the std 36t chain wheel and gears as supplied with the 700c wheel set what road speed would that equate to in top gear?
assuming front 36T rear 11T
at 70 RPM: 18.8mph
at 75 RPM: 20.2mph

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers