Grind crank arm or new BB

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
No idea how to position the hydraulic brake sensors on shimano levers. Any one got a pointer?

connect it (red plug to red plug) and switch on the LCD.
You should see error 25, brake activated.
Now move the small magnet ring slowly toward the sensor's head.
Keep watching the LCD.

When the magnet is near enough in relation to the sensor head, the error 25 on the LCD will clear.
Make a mental note of how far the magnet is from the sensor.
Then work out how you are going to stick the sensor on the brake oil reservoir and to attach the magnet ring.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Looked at that pic earlier but my shimano levers look trickier to fit. Gonna have to figure out something tomorrow.

kit is almost fitted apart from waiting for a threaded nut rivet tool to come tomorrow courtesy of yet another amazon prime 30 day trial lol

Few pics - https://photos.app.goo.gl/kiW3QMX4jb5KGBbp1

It may be easier to buy some cable disc calipers and cables to use with the supplied levers and my current discs.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
which model of shimano brakes do you have?
I may be able to make a piece of plastic to fix it for you.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Shimano M395 according to online spec but not sure without going and having a look.

Would be neater to use supplied levers. I assume I would just need to buy the calipers and cables and it would be fine with my discs?

I could just swap one too and only use one brake sensored brake?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it won't look right to have two different types of levers.
Try to pad out the oil reservoir with playdough to make a flat area where you can stick the sensor on for now. I'll look into how to fit the brake sensor to the M395 tonight after dinner.
These sensors are not a perfect solution, that's why I don't stock them.
The last resort is to do without the sensors or buy the front hydraulic brakes that I fit to the Rio MTB. They have the correct sensor built into the body,

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
cable disc calipers look cheap enough so may swap both as its gonna be a neater job imo. Need to have a look at what will be compatible.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
it won't look right to have two different types of levers.
Try to pad out the oil reservoir with playdough to make a flat area where you can stick the sensor on for now. I'll look into how to fit the brake sensor to the M395 tonight after dinner.
These sensors are not a perfect solution, that's why I don't stock them.
The last resort is to do without the sensors or buy the front hydraulic brakes that I fit to the Rio MTB. They have the correct sensor built into the body,

Probably cheaper to fit cable versions and use the levers supplied.

How much are the ones from the rio mtb? Could I just use the levers or would I need the full kit?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Could I just use the levers or would I need the full kit?
it comes as one unit. Let's leave that option to last. Cost: £42.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
it comes as one unit. Let's leave that option to last. Cost: £42.
Deffo cheaper cable disc route.

To be honest I gave it a try this eve with tie wraps holding battery in place and motor stopped very fast once I stopped pedaling so may be able to do without. I tried it up an hill from my house that normally kills me and got up doing around 12mph with pedaling and it was so easy.

With the added little bits and almost 20 hours labour it would have been better to buy a rio mtb lol. May still get one when you get the new ones in and try and get my wife on this one. She is very reluctant to exercise but this may change her mind.

I will never buy a kit again that's for sure.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Maybe buying a cheap second-hand handlebar off ebay that is the same width all along would help with arranging things. The person who first designed varied width handlebars wants shooting.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Maybe buying a cheap second-hand handlebar off ebay that is the same width all along would help with arranging things. The person who first designed varied width handlebars wants shooting.
Your right it would help a lot so may have a look. Took all front derailleur and levers off now though so may leave as is.

I think twist shifters would help too.

I am considering a single chain ring crank too. Not got a chain guide on yet so will see how it goes without one.

Gonna have a mess with brake sensors in morning and try find best fit before I take it on a good test.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
your brake sensor looks quite neat.
I like it very much.
That magnet may need a screw to hold it long term.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
I am quite pleased with how they fit. They did not look right on top of the levers at all due to shape of them.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I know this has taken longer than you thought Waj, mine did too. But the upside is that you now have a bike that you know backwards. You've found your way around obsticles and so if anything does go wrong you'll be able to make an educated guess at what it might be. Then likely be able to fix it instead of being held captive like the owners of certain named machines, and finding spares horrendously expensive and not available for diy fit.
Congrats, well done and enjoy the ride.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
I re fit the front derailleur and gear shifters today and removed the throttle as after a 15 mile ride yesterday I have no use for the throttle only as without pedaling its a bit useless and under powered on its own.

Pedal assist seems great though and even though it was on 2 or 3 most of the ride and 5 just for 5 or 6 hills that would normally kill me I still felt like I had exercised.

It was good to get up the big hills still seated and without risking a stroke lol

Reactions: D C

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I re fit the front derailleur and gear shifters today and removed the throttle as after a 15 mile ride yesterday I have no use for the throttle only as without pedaling its a bit useless and under powered on its own.

Pedal assist seems great though and even though it was on 2 or 3 most of the ride and 5 just for 5 or 6 hills that would normally kill me I still felt like I had exercised.

It was good to get up the big hills still seated and without risking a stroke lol
You'll soon forget the hassle of fitting now you are riding.
You seem to have had more than your fair share of problems but have surmounted them all.:)
I was lucky when I fitted the exact same kit as it seemed to go on with minimal fuss on my bike and I did manage to fit it in under three hours including removing the existing Cyclotricity front wheel kit.
I didn't fit the brake levers that came with the kit though they are decent quality. I prefer not to have the motor cut out at all when I touch the brake for a second or two and I like my own brake levers. I've fitted a simple kill switch close in to the front brake in case I need to disconnect power in a hurry.
You say that your throttle didn't give full power but mine gives full power equal to LCD number 5.
Great that you've had such good advice on the forum, also great back up from Woosh.
I'm beginning to sound like an advert for Woosh but my only connection is as a very satisfied customer.
Dave.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
It gave full power and with wheel lifted it is around 16mph form what i remember. What I mean is with me on it on the flat it was about 12mph I think but on the flat my pedal speed is more or less 15mph anyhow. Would be more if I ditched the knobly tyres and fit some hybrid ones but don't feel like taking back wheel off for a while lol.

Still wished I had bought a full bike instead though as second hand hardly used ones go for good prices and I would be happy to pay more now just for the neat finish.

I may try and sell it yet but no doubt it will be a great loss as second hand mtb's dont sell for much and neither do electric bikes so it seems.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It gave full power and with wheel lifted it is around 16mph form what i remember. What I mean is with me on it on the flat it was about 12mph I think but on the flat my pedal speed is more or less 15mph anyhow. Would be more if I ditched the knobly tyres and fit some hybrid ones but don't feel like taking back wheel off for a while lol.

Still wished I had bought a full bike instead though as second hand hardly used ones go for good prices and I would be happy to pay more now just for the neat finish.

I may try and sell it yet but no doubt it will be a great loss as second hand mtb's dont sell for much and neither do electric bikes so it seems.
the speed is limited by what you set in the LCD.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/manuals/King-Meter-J-LCD.pdf
I believe you are allowed up to 10% about 15mph.

Reactions: waj1234