Grind crank arm or new BB

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
the speed is limited by what you set in the LCD.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/manuals/King-Meter-J-LCD.pdf
I believe you are allowed up to 10% about 15mph.
Yeah already figured out how to change settings. I have to say I have no need to increase max speed though as someone else mentioned as due to gearing and knobly tyres it sort of maxes out at 16mph on the flat and seems fast enough to me. The main thing is I can maintain an higher average dues to getting up hills easier while still having a workout which is what I was after. Plus I will make less excuses about going out on it now so should actually get much more exercise than I normally would have.

I will use for nipping to shops more too once I buy a decent lock and figure out which shops have good locking points etc. It makes cycling enjoyable again imo.

One question about battery. I did 15 miles and the meter shows one bar gone and at one point 2 were gone but it came back? Also what sort life span do they have in terms of yrs or total miles etc? I know it will depend on peoples different usage too though. Are they best not letting go too low? Whats best charging patterns.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Those bars are a voltage indicator not a remaining capacity indicator. Prolonged heavy current draw (i.e. a long climb on full power) will cause the voltage to go down. As you cruise down the other side of the hill, the voltage will recover. So arriving home with 2 bars down it's not unusual to recover one as the bike stands still.
As to usage, I use mine and charge it. My rides are between 10 and 25 miles, 2-4 times a week. Arguably, charging after a 10 mile ride isn't necessary, but I never know how long my next ride will be. Li-ion batteries don't suffer from memory effect, so charge as needed. Cells are balanced at the end of a charging cycle, so leaving the charger on for a while, after the light has gone green, will do no harm.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Those bars are a voltage indicator not a remaining capacity indicator. Prolonged heavy current draw (i.e. a long climb on full power) will cause the voltage to go down. As you cruise down the other side of the hill, the voltage will recover. So arriving home with 2 bars down it's not unusual to recover one as the bike stands still.
As to usage, I use mine and charge it. My rides are between 10 and 25 miles, 2-4 times a week. Arguably, charging after a 10 mile ride isn't necessary, but I never know how long my next ride will be. Li-ion batteries don't suffer from memory effect, so charge as needed. Cells are balanced at the end of a charging cycle, so leaving the charger on for a while, after the light has gone green, will do no harm.
Right so battery indicator is on the actual battery when I press the button? After full charge the battery had one red and 3 green. Not sure if the red is the last one and the 3rd green being full?

Last edited:

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
1) Sounds like something is setup wrongly. The motor shouldn't cut out at 12mph regardless of tyres, road, weight etc.

2) You can get to understand your bike's mileage over time, then just watch the trip miles to estimate how many more miles are likely to be left in the battery.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
1) Sounds like something is setup wrongly. The motor shouldn't cut out at 12mph regardless of tyres, road, weight etc.

2) You can get to understand your bike's mileage over time, then just watch the trip miles to estimate how many more miles are likely to be left in the battery.
It may not have been 12mph, probably not taking enough notice.

I did try setting max speed at 40kph in settings and tried throttle in garage and I think no load speed was 19 or 20mph. Not sure if its a correct reading though from the speed sensor as 40kph should give more like 25mph at no load unless the motor is not up to that speed?

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I don't use my throttle much as I usually ride in mode 1 and just use the throttle for a few seconds if I come to a short hump in the track, any longer steep hills I use 2, 3, 4 or 5 if I need it.
I've just tried full throttle (not pedaling) on the flat and my speed maintains at just over 15 mph confirmed by my cat eye.
I have noticed that if I exceed around 15.6 mph the motor cuts out but doesn't cut in again till my speed drops to less than 13 mph.
I have tried full throttle with no load, back wheel off ground and the speed reaches about 17 mph then cuts out till the speed drops to less than 13 mph when it cuts in again so power without load keeps coming on and off.
I suspect you may be better with LCD set to say 30 kph but as I understand it this would make the warranty invalid.
Dave.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
I don't use my throttle much as I usually ride in mode 1 and just use the throttle for a few seconds if I come to a short hump in the track, any longer steep hills I use 2, 3, 4 or 5 if I need it.
I've just tried full throttle (not pedaling) on the flat and my speed maintains at just over 15 mph confirmed by my cat eye.
I have noticed that if I exceed around 15.6 mph the motor cuts out but doesn't cut in again till my speed drops to less than 13 mph.
I have tried full throttle with no load, back wheel off ground and the speed reaches about 17 mph then cuts out till the speed drops to less than 13 mph when it cuts in again so power without load keeps coming on and off.
I suspect you may be better with LCD set to say 30 kph but as I understand it this would make the warranty invalid.
Dave.
Thanks for the info Dave. I have no throttle installed now as found it pointless to be honest.

More concerned about battery range at mo as only got around 16 miles on first charge as tried to go out now and go to bank 2 miles away but voltage was low. On charge now though.

Last edited:

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
More concerned about battery range at mo as only got around 16 miles on first charge
My own experience with this and a couple of other batteries is that the range gets a lot better after a few charge cycles.
Dave.

Reactions: waj1234

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
It is on the left now. It gets in way of gear levers which ever one it goes on so I have removed my front derailleur now to make way. Top ring will be fine alone now its electric I am sure. I may replace the crank to a single chainring one in the future. I will buy a chain stay thingy too.
I had the same problem with schram gear levers. Sorted it by turning the throttle 180 degrees so the throttle wire went over the top of the bars. It's amazing how the bars get filled up with real estate!

D

Deleted member 4366

40km/h is the cut off-speed. It has nothing to do with the motor's speed. You have a 20 mph motor, so the only way to get it to spin faster would be to increase your battery voltage.