Gsm vs bbs01

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Woosh are expecting the kits in on Friday/Saturday I was advised today

Plus a a bit of turnaround time and we can all hope for delivery sometime pretty soon. !

I will do a build thread separately.

Though as I've never fitted a bbsxx it would be great if someone who had both could post, in due course, about any key differences they discover (outside headline spec and this thread)

Reactions: Man

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Woosh are sending out GSM kits today.

Reactions: Man

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Having reserved a kit I paid for it tonight so should be with me Mon or Tues.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
I have reserved but did not receive any email,went to check if it is available at Woosh online shop and it is,so purchased one,now on a hunt for a hybrid with suspension forks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
GSM due to arrive tomorrow am.

Reactions: Sertorio

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes. You double tap the on/off button to go to settings, tap to the maxs (max speed), adjust with + and -, long press on/off to save. Maximum set speed is 57km/h. Very similar to the King Meter.

Reactions: KirstinS

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
57km/h ..pah ...not worth having;)
seriously though might be nice to up it from standard by a few km/h occasionally

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the hardest job is to undo the old bottom bracket. You may need to whack the spanner a bit with a mallet to loosen an old BB.
Start with undoing the non-drive side (left cup first), then the right side (chain side). On the chain side, the cup is left hand threaded. If in doubt, always turn your spanner in the direction of pedalling to undo the cups.
Make sure there is no lump of excess weld inside the shell where the tubes join together. If there is, and it's rare on good bikes, you may have to spend 15 minutes sanding any lump off.
Once the inside of the shell is nice and clean, the kit will go in easy peasy. I always put a bit of grease inside the shell and around the BB axle.

Last edited:
Reactions: EmSeeDee

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Can the throttle cable and brake cables be cut off the wiring harness without causing a short or is there an LCD to controller only cable option?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
the hardest job is to undo the old bottom bracket. You may need to whack the spanner a bit with a mallet to loosen an old BB.
Start with undoing the non-drive side (left cup first), then the right side (chain side). On the chain side, the cup is left hand threaded. If in doubt, always turn your spanner in the direction of pedalling to undo the cups.
Make sure there is no lump of excess weld inside the shell where the tubes join together. If there is, and it's rare on good bikes, you may have to spend 15 minutes sanding any lump off.
Once the inside of the shell is nice and clean, the kit will go in easy peasy. I always put a bit of grease inside the shell and around the BB axle.
Hi trex, thanks - that job is done by my lbs as they took 5 mins and charged 7 quid. The tools alone were going to cost me about 35 quid

Money well spent it seems !

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
£7 - how do these guys make a living? you should post his name - members of the forum, take notice.

If you have a Shimano UNxx bottom bracket, you'll need this £5 tool set:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicyle-Shimano-Crank-Extractor-Bottom-Bracket-Remover-Removal-Tool-Set-/361374447894

Can the throttle cable and brake cables be cut off the wiring harness without causing a short or is there an LCD to controller only cable option?
You can, but switch off first.

you only need to connect the battery and LCD to get the GSM going in pedelec mode.

1. connect the battery: connect the tail with bullet crimps to the battery first, red wire to battery +, black wire to battery -. When done, line up the arrows on the battery connectors and push the two connectors together until snugly fit.
2. connect the trunk cable to the GSM then connect the 6-pin male (green) LCD connector to the 6-pin female (black) on the handlebars end of the trunk cable.
3. Turn on the LCD
4. rotate the crank arms, your GSM should spin up.
There are 9 assist levels programmed into the LCD.

Last edited:

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
Is this the first generation of the GSM ?..I'm interested in buying either this or the BBS01 but always a little wary of stuff that's new to the market ( don't like to be a beta tester !)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
£7 - how do these guys make a living? you should post his name - members of the forum, take notice.

If you have a Shimano UNxx bottom bracket, you'll need this £5 tool set:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicyle-Shimano-Crank-Extractor-Bottom-Bracket-Remover-Removal-Tool-Set-/361374447894
28.50 € (20 minute job flat rate) just around the corner... I guess that the easy ones help pay for the BB removal made in hell that takes him an hour. The other LBS would probably do it for me for 5€ we have more of a bartering relationship... :rolleyes:

A good 35-45 € general purpose tool kit (bikediscount.de) will always be handy now that you have a pedelec with a kit mounted. Mine has long since paid for itself.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it's the 2nd generation. I tested the first generation about a year ago, made a couple of suggestions because I have the BBS01 18A 350W. The main suggestion was to have a 250W motor but with 18A built in controller so that the motor can be road legal on kits. Back then, the controller was external so it did not matter. My current suggestion is to make the built in controller compatible with the King Meter LCD. At present, if you want to use the King Meter LCD, you still have to use external Lishui controllers. The built in controller is compatible with APT and KT LCDs.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Actually it was the local big giant store. The others were too busy. They did it on the spot ! It was actually 7.50 to be fair :)