Gsm vs bbs01

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Steve, email support and ask for a thumb throttle.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Fired mine up today but got Error code 06 when I activated the throttle switch, so will have to see what Woosh say.
For anyone thinking that its a BBS replacement its not, it is a cheaper copy.
The LCD bracket looks and feels flimsy although once mounted the unit seems ok, the LCD control pad wiring is about 3 - 4 inches too long and mine came with a M3 allen bolt and a M4 nut so I am in need of a M3 nut to secure it. The speed sensor wiring is about 20 - 22 inches too long so at some stage when I happy with the kit it will need splicing, also the same with the power feed that is about 16" too long so really needs splicing and wiring direct to the battery cradle terminals. I thought my BBS throttle would be ok but its not it has the female end on it not a male one, so again need to speak to Woosh. The brake sensors I will in time dissasemble and retro fit them to work on my HDB's. Before I change anything I will have to go on a test ride next week when time allows to see that there are no issues.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Push in the red button on the twist grip throttle to turn it on before switching on the controller, 06E should disappear. That twist grip throttle is a bad idea. There is now an option to choose a thumb throttle with the GSM instead.
If youemail Andy @ Woosh, ask him for a thumb throttle and also for a battery cradle for the Krieger, it has the same battery tail already installed for your 09 battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks Trex , waiting till Monday to email as I know they are not there at the weekend to answer. Don't need another cradle as I can easily solder the one I have. Generally the kit needs some tweeking esp in the wiring department.

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
early days but initial feedback on this kit doesn't make one feel confident about choosing it over the BBS01 unless its all about cost. Hopefully just teething problems which can be ironed out . Watching thread with interest.

Reactions: baldylox

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reading Trex's earlier comment this is an updated mk2 version.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Andy @ woosh is revising the installation manual today. It should incorporate all the feedback they've got from the first week of outing. As far as I know, the thumb throttle is now the main option in preference to the twist grip throttle. If the throttle is disconnected, then the 800S is programmed at present to show error 06 (06E). The motor still works in pedelec mode. Switch on the throttle, the 06E will clear. In the future, the software will need to be updated so that the 800S won't show 06E if the throttle is not present. If you switch on the motor when the brake sensor is activated, you get 05E, releasing the brake lever clears it. That's functionally equivalent to error 25 on the King Meter and won't be changed. NealH mention the two M4 and one M3 allen bolts and nuts in the 800S box, they will be checked before despatch to be sure. The two M4 are for fixing the LCD panel, the M3 is for fixing the buttons. Somebody mentioned needing 1.5mm washers to help with centering the chainline, Woosh have them now, just ask. If you order a battery with your GSM, the power tail will now be soldered directly to the battery base for you, making for a neater installation.

Reactions: KirstinS

Man

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2015
As i see,the problems with this kit is electronics.I hope the version without controller works fine from the first day.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Although I emailed Andrew@woosh I have not received a reply but there was an email in my inbox from Hermes saying that a parcel from Andrew is on its way to me, so guess a thumb throttle is on its way.
The 06E twist throttle error is present on my lcd only when the throttle switch is turned off and doesen't go away, in operation mode it clears so somewhere there is a programming or wiring issue. Once I am up and running waiting now for 9 speed trigger I'm sure the kit will work fine as Kirstin has said.
Its been said time and again and not only by me that you get fantastic CS from Woosh which makes dealing with the company in the future an easy choice:):). There has been some good install feed back on the kit so far and by no means anything adversely bad, so pleased that Woosh are taking note of the comments and later models will be slightly revised along with fitting instructions. Hopefully future buyers will have less issues and will think of us first few guinea pigs for ironing out some issues.

Last edited:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Although I emailed Andrew@woosh I have not received a reply but there was an email in my inbox from Hermes saying that a parcel from Andrew is on its way to me, so guess a thumb throttle is on its way.
The 06E twist throttle error is present on my lcd only when the throttle switch is turned off and doesen't go away, in operation mode it clears so somewhere there is a programming or wiring issue. Once I am up and running waiting now for 9 speed trigger I'm sure the kit will work fine as Kirstin has said.
Its been said time and again and not only by me that you get fantastic CS from Woosh which makes dealing with the company in the future an easy choice:):). There has been some good install feed back on the kit so far and by no means anything adversely bad, so pleased that Woosh are taking note of the comments and later models will be slightly revised along with fitting instructions. Hopefully future buyers will have less issues and will think of us first few guinea pigs for ironing out some issues.
My replacement arrived today, I'm going to get fitting now.

However, it is worth restating the quality of woosh customer aftercare. If, like me, you've had duff bits from other companies of the years m, it does stand out for me.

I'm pretty sure all my issue is is a duff connection in the 9pin cable. These thing happen, it's how it is dealt with that counts for me

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Put the new kit on last night but got too late to test more than in the kitchen under no load.

However, off to work this morning without any issue at all. Super quiet and feels nice and powerful for a legal 250w motor. Maybe that 18a as opposed to the 15amp max of the BBS is what makes the difference here.

I struggle to hear any noise difference vs the BBS01 250v my friends has fitted to his Cotic Roadrat and the GSM does feel punchier/torquier. My commute is flat but into very strong headwinds today along the coast - the kit didn’t slow down to due to weedy wattage. However, it did chew through the battery Ah. Quite a bit more than I’d expect my BPM2 350w front hub to do on the same trip in same conditions. However, that it on a road based hybrid with fast rolling tyres and no suspension. The Gsm is on 40psi big off road knobblies with front suss forks – so isn’t really a fair comparison.

Going to go out at lunch and try some steep hill climbing in Brighton to see how the kit gets on. I hope to get to South Downs trail testing ASAP - this is really what I built bike for but I’d rather ease the kit in with more gentle tests first i.e make sure it is settled in and all nice and tightened up. However, first impressions are all good - I'll box up the old kit for woosh to autopsy !

Trex - I decided not to take your advice about the LCD and just swap whole kit outright. I just didn't want to risk damaging any of the new kit with the old. it will make Andy's autopsy easier as well I expect. Good news for whoosh is a colleague likes it so much he will be buying a woosh bike before xmas probably the Krieger but he will arrange a few tests rides first.

My only minor concern at the moment is that the chain and tensioner is pulled really quite tight. It might be that I need a few extra links on the chain. But as its new I think I’ll leave it and wait for a bit of stretch. Or is this unwise ?

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
My only minor concern at the moment is that the chain and tensioner is pulled really quite tight. It might be that I need a few extra links on the chain. But as its new I think I’ll leave it and wait for a bit of stretch. Or is this unwise ?
Fit the extra links, the chain will only stretch a tiny amount over a long time, it is classed as worn out at 1/8" increase per 12".
In the mean time you are probably over stressing the derailleur mechanism.

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
If the chain is too tight for the tensioner to deflect it, it is too tight. If you wait for the chain to stretch enough for the tensioner to work properly the chain will need replacing.
To change the topic slightly, I have had two kits & the rubber shims for the LCD mount are to fit on the 22.2 mm part of the bars not the fat 25.4 mm centre which is where the mount is meant to be. Are they all like that? if so I will have to fabricate something from old inner tube or similar.

Steve

Man

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2015
Can smebody put a foto of the chainline and the chainwheel?For me its a really important thing about this kit.For me the 46 chainwheel its really to big,and i want to know if whe can put a bbs0x chainwheel adapter.Thanks!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
In case your bike has a 42T or smaller chainring, you may need to get a longer chainring to go to 46T on the BBS01or GSM, Woosh have them so ask for one when ordering. @Man: you can use any BBS01 chainring with the GSM, they have identical fitting. @cycling weakly - I reckon a bit of old innertube is better fit than the supplied rubber wedges.

EmSeeDee

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Coventry, UK
<snip> @cycling weakly - I reckon a bit of old innertube is better fit than the supplied rubber wedges.[/QUOTE]
Self-amalgamating tape is good alternative packing material for odd-sized handlebar clamps. Available from Toolstation, etc.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Been up and down a few of Brighton's steepest hills. Caused me no concerns whatsoever. I am used to hubs so it is a real pleasure not get that sense of the motor struggling, slowing down and just converting all the AH into heat.

I wont post anymore test stuff unless asked or ive a good few miles under my belt including trail riding

Reactions: Geebee and Man

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
Been up and down a few of Brighton's steepest hills. Caused me no concerns whatsoever. I am used to hubs so it is a real pleasure not get that sense of the motor struggling, slowing down and just converting all the AH into heat.

I wont post anymore test stuff unless asked or ive a good few miles under my belt including trail riding
Could you please keep updating re battery range particularly when fairly hilly.
thanks
bill