Gsm vs bbs01

Man

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2015
Hi all,imdiscovered this motor today,via this forum,and im really interested.So i have a doubt,do tou think that we can put some adaptor for smaller chainring?The chain line is the same as bbsxx?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
using the same battery on two bikes? Nealh does just that. He's got two mounting rails for his 09 battery.
You can use the GSM 18A kit with any 36V battery.
Iif you get the 08 battery from bmsbattery, just ask them for a second mounting rail when ordering.
My finger is hovering over the reserve button as I have a 3rd mounting rail sitting in the garage, still have the HT Mtrax carbon frame so may build that up again as I also have enough components too. When I had the Oxy kit fitted it was too powerful and made the front end wheelie abit esp on hills offroad so GSM may well be better suited with CoG and weight placed centrally.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Well this section of the forum has really got me thinking, I was ready to buy an of the shelf Cube CD ebike for just under £2k.

But as my Son (30) is a bike mechanic, and we have a workshop full of frames and parts etc, a kit project seems the way to go.

The GSM motor, seems a good choice, I want to keep legal so 250watt is fine.

Are the Tekro Hydraulic ebrakes easy to get hold of, I would rather fit these than mess about using the stick on sensor and magnet affair.

Not to keen on using square taper for the cranks, but needs must, need to get my head round the build, but will make for a nice winter project.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Having hovered I have now reserved so Mtrax build 2 is in progress, frame is all carbon except inner BB shell. Other parts fitted now are head set and RS Recons, stem, handlebars, seat tube, spoon saddle and 09 mounting rail. Digging about I have got a pair of Hayes 9 hdb's all ready to go, found a newish 9sp cassette and a cassette hub, xt rear 9sp rear mech. hanging up I have 2 rims and a pair of Nobby's. I have sets of spokes so need to just see if they are right length other wise nothing to buy except for GSM.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Bike nerd heaven is your shed! :D

Reactions: Nealh

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
Hi. This is my first post, I have followed this thread for a while now. None of the posts seem to address the original question "Why is the GSM so much cheaper" I am fairly sure I will buy one or the other in the near future but I have not been able to find any info on the GSM . Not even who makes it.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the GSM kit is made by the factory that assembles most of the woosh bikes. GSM belongs to one of the top 500 industrial combines in China. They also make generators, motorbikes and ATVs. The pricing is down to woosh.

Reactions: gibbon

delboy55555

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Been following this thread closely and I'm thinking of getting this as my first ebike kit. I like that its is rated at 250w as I want to remain at least semi legal for the uk roads. I'm thinking of getting this battery with a 48v 20a sine wave controller built in; https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/680-48v116ah-bottle-09-panasonic-battery-pack-battery.html
I know this is capable of putting something like 900w into the motor would this likely kill it quickly? Or should it last ok for a while? I'd like it to last about 2 years ideally. What sort of range might it get (i weigh 90kg)?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I rode the test bike with bmsbattery's 48V kit for about an hour. The bike ran faster and the motor got warmer but I did not notice anything wrong with the bike. Range wise: Woosh supply the kit with 36V 15AH battery and quoted 50-60 mile range (same as the woosh Krieger).
With that battery from bmsbattery, I guess you'd get about the same range. As you can ride very fast with a derestricted crank drive, the range you can get is mainly a function of speed and battery capacity. Allow 10WH per mile at 15mph, 20WH per mile at 20mph, 30WH per mile at 25mph. You get the idea.

Reactions: delboy55555

delboy55555

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
I rode the test bike with bmsbattery's 48V kit for about an hour. The bike ran faster and the motor got warmer but I did not notice anything wrong with the bike. Range wise: Woosh supply the kit with 36V 15AH battery and quoted 50-60 mile range (same as the woosh Krieger).
With that battery from bmsbattery, I guess you'd get about the same range. As you can ride very fast with a derestricted crank drive, the range you can get is mainly a function of speed and battery capacity. Allow 10WH per mile at 15mph, 20WH per mile at 20mph, 30WH per mile at 25mph. You get the idea.
Thanks for the information. 50-60miles range would be amazing, but even if I only acheive half that it should be enough for me most of the time. I think I'm going to take plunge and get one of these :) One more question , how steep is Pier hill in Southend since you mentioned it earlier? I have a lot of steep hills where I live.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Southend is very flat. Pier Hill is its steepest bit. You can go to http://wooshbikes.co.uk/clearway.php and enter the post code SS1 2EQ then ride around by clicking a few times on the map.
Pier Hill not big but near the top, it's 18% gradient. It's comparable to Bristol Park Street but shorter.

Reactions: delboy55555

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
As you can ride very fast with a derestricted crank drive, the range you can get is mainly a function of speed and battery capacity. Allow 10WH per mile at 15mph, 20WH per mile at 20mph, 30WH per mile at 25mph. You get the idea.
And of course the effort you put into pedalling, I get about 5.75 Wh and average 16+ mph on the road or 3.75 Wh and 10 mph average in town.

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
a few more questions re the GSM kit....
if not using power does it pedal nice and smoothly like a normal bike .?
the blurb says 68mm bb ...will it fit a 73 ok ?
what is the chainline and can it be adjusted? ( may use with rohloff which ideally likes 54mm ) + smaller chainrings?
I read about problems with BBS01 spares availability. Is it likely to be the same with the GSM ?
Finally ..with the bafang and GSM if the BB bearings become sloppy as they do with most bikes eventually ...is the motor repairable/
many thanks
Bill

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
when riding with the power off, the bike feels a bit heavy, you carry about 7.5 kgs extra weight but that's normal with all e-bikes. As with all crank drives, you soon forget the extra weight because the wheels spin freely and the pedals feel totally normal.
The bottom bracket is secured with two M33 x 5mm nuts, same you would do with the BBS01/BBS02. With 73mm bottom bracket, there isn't much thread for the second M33 at all, you may have to threadlock the first M33 and not install the second M33, but I think it's doable.
Woosh service all the motors they sell, be hub or crank drives. If you want to service the GSM yourself, it can be opened very similarly to the BBS01, grease and replacement ball bearings can be bought on ebay. Woosh keep spares of BB axles, gearboxes, clutch and controllers. The GSM kit will be used on the new large framed Krieger with 650B wheels in December.

OH ..forgot ..is there a sensor kit which allows use of any hydraulic brake system ?
Hydraulic brake sensors will be available also from December.

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
thanks Trex ...will need to confirm fitment on 73mm bb before purchase. If it's the same as the bbs01/2 i know it can be done as i've seen a number of frames with 73mm bb's that have the bafang fitted
( online pics/posts)

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
same M33 nuts for sure.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Wooshes current test bike with the GSM kit is the same bike that had the BBS01 18A 350W a year ago, Jim took the old motor out and put the GSM in. I assume the GSM has the same chainline. You may have to ask Andy @ woosh to confirm this.