HaHa it actually happened......Cheat !!!!!!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The other day an elderly gent walking in the bike part of the shared path (must be colour blind to mustard yellow...) shouted "why don't you go faster!". I had slowed down to about 15 km/h because there were quite a few pedestrians using the cycle lane.

P.S. you also spelt "Oops" wrongly are you a bigly intellectual like DT? :DSometimes people say that about him! Sometimes people also say that he is a very handsome man! Orange, but handsome, the hairiest bald man you may ever meet!

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

warmrain

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2016
Lincolnshire
I see that the subject of this discussion was/is "Cheating".
Not how an electric bike should be described or what legal terminology is adopted by relevant authorities.

"Cheating" is something purely intrinsic to, and in the mind of he/she who says 'it is cheating'. It arises because either (a) they feel they are in competition, or (b) they feel there is something they are entitled to which they don't have access.

The traffic light dragster who feels you are cheating because your stock looking Ford Fiesta has a modified supercharged engine and you outdrag him in his *really* stock Ford Fiesta has a self made problem because he has set himself up in competition with you ... and also feels he should be entitled to a supercharged motor as well. ....(a), and (b).

The person who feels rich heiresses are "cheating"/ "have cheated" because they-just-happened-to-be-the-daughter of a rich family and didn't work for it are agonising because of their indignant sense of entitlement ... and also setting themselves in comparison & competition. Even though objectively they themselves may be both healthy and and have enough to eat/live without hardship. [Marxists may beg to differ].

The person who invented the aeroplane wasn't "cheating". He was just solving a technical problem. When electric bikes are (almost) the same price as non-electric bikes, there will be no chance for a sense of witheld entitlement and it will be simply an engineering advance that gives you a choice of having more exercise or less exercise. Those who still mistakenly feel that the world is competing against them will turn their attention to having a snazzier paint job on 'their superior' electric bike.

It is a technical / engineering advance which can also sometimes solve a human medical problem. 'Cheating' is simply a problem within the own psyche of he who calls out "you cheat!" at the moment. Don't worry about it.

Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
"Cheating" is something purely intrinsic to, and in the mind of he/she who says 'it is cheating'.
Not when dishonesty is involved, that being the definition of cheating. Then it actually is cheating, e.g cheating in exams.

Someone cycling a legal pedelec cannot be cheating since there is no dishonesty involved in doing that, even on a so-called stealth e-bike.

But I take your point that if an accuser see's it as cheating, it exists solely in their mind, the delusion that the pedelecer is pretending to be a normal cyclist.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
On overhauling a Group on a hill last week I was told ` that`s not fair ` . My answer was `when you get to nearly 80 you may need some assistance `. For 80 you could substitute any number , perhaps 90 or 100 would be over the top !

Reactions: BillyBoy88

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Why don't we all just admit we're a low-down bunch of dirty cheating e-bikers and move on already...smiling and waving as we overtake the lycra-clad Sunday cycling club struggling up a long climb..:D

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Exactly Nefarious.

It used to bother me more when I first started riding ebikes, feeling I had to justify to accusers why I was allegedly 'cheating'.

Now though, a) if I can be bothered and b) can shout it quick enough as I'm passing somebody accusing me of 'cheating', I'll reply along the lines of "I'm not cheating if I ain't competing.."
There's not much they can come back with after that, apart from a good humoured response normally, if I can still hear them.