Haibike

Apr 19, 2011
Here is a new thread to bring discussions, service bulletins, and thoughts on Haibike models eQ Trekking (road e-bike) and eQ XDuro (mountain e-bike) all together under one heading.

Apr 19, 2011
I don't think it'll be long before everybody will be fitting aftermarket sprockets so that they'll all be riding round on their Haibikes at 20 mph, Sould be a very easy modification.
Hi d8veh, Haibike use a simple hall effect sensor picking up change in magnetic flux as permanent magnet attached to a rear wheel spoke passes it. Final drive sprocket size has no bearing on max speed.

Rgds,

James

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Fair enough James, so many bikes top out at 25Kg its good to see weights closer to 20Kg although there's still some way to go when compared to BH and Cytronex bikes.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Fair enough James, so many bikes top out at 25Kg its good to see weights closer to 20Kg although there's still some way to go when compared to BH and Cytronex bikes.
not really comparable? cytronex NO suspension Haibike FULL suspension - and still 20 kg remarkable I think.....

James: I would like to know. does the Bosch system require any special servicing requirements. and your service package can it be over 24 months? IE one yearly service??

EDIT:
I see that you have partially answered this on another thread and answer is NO. but can you please tell without sermonising, does the Bosch system have any special service requirements and if so how often?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Hi d8veh, Haibike use a simple hall effect sensor picking up change in magnetic flux as permanent magnet attached to a rear wheel spoke passes it. Final drive sprocket size has no bearing on max speed.

Rgds,

James
Good. That makes it easier to adjust the speed, with an electronic device for about a fiver. Should be able to make it with adjustable speed limit. Let's see who's first to get one on Ebay

Apr 19, 2011
not really comparable? cytronex NO suspension Haibike FULL suspension - and still 20 kg remarkable I think.....

James: I would like to know. does the Bosch system require any special servicing requirements. and your service package can it be over 24 months? IE one yearly service??

EDIT:
I see that you have partially answered this on another thread and answer is NO. but can you please tell without sermonising, does the Bosch system have any special service requirements and if so how often?
Hi Eddieo,

Do bear in mind that the £199 Silver service includes evening and weekend delivery by our staff in our vehicles, so its not all about onsite servicing costs.

Re service: We're talking about the drive unit only here. As far as I know there are no special servicing requirements. Its built using modular sealed components so if something fails its a simple component swap. No grease nipples, no adjustments or tuning. It's of note (but not worth climbing the pulpit steps :)) that the final drive is via the chain wheel, not via an over worked 9 or 11 tooth sprocket like the Panasonic. In our Flyer days these things were fast waring parts.

Rgds,

James

Last edited:

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Yes eTim, give me a ring to discuss (haven't thought this through yet so won't commit details here)

James

Mobi: 07964 352 771

The Haibike seems to have generated quite a bit of excitement in this forum but I'm not altogether sure why that should be.

It's interesting, (and very welcome) that there may be a discount available for forum members on a very recently marketed product pitched on to the scene with an enormous price tag. In reality, I suspect there will be very few takers amongst forum members, simply because of the "premium" price of the product.

I do find it rather difficult to rationalise ebikes costing over 2 grand, even more so when they're closer to 3 grand than 2 but I can understand it if the technology is such that the product moves the game on to a higher level. Now I haven't ridden the bikes and still haven't seen one other than in pictures, so I'll need some convincing that the Bosch-powered system, allied to a reasonably lightweight frame really does move the game on.

The fact that Bosch power tools and lawn mowers compete at the cheap end of their respective markets with the likes of Black & Decker, TorX and so on isn't lost on me so have they made enormous advances in motor technology with their ebike engines? I've used power tools most of my adult life and I've never found Bosch very great. They may be ok for the occasional bit of DIY but for regular, heavy-duty stuff, they come up short. At least their power tools are inexpensive, making no pretence to be premium products so I shall be interested to see how their bike motors fare under heavy use.

I look forward to some user feedback in the fullness of time but I'm trying to understand how a Bosch-powered bike can be worth something of the order of 2.5 times the price of the Tonaro Bighit or Compy, both of which have been well received on this forum.

Regards,
Indalo

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
If you are going to make comparisons they need to be rational. While the compy is getting good reviews it is a heavy bike! and bares no comparison I believe with the full suspension, off road and very capable Haibike. and that is the top of the range model, most Bosch powered hybrids coming out are around 2k

my teenage son rides a £800 sports bike, some of his friends have bikes costing £2000 - £3000. where we go in Italy most years some of the English teenage lads there ride £3000 + downhill bikes as well....not particularly rich, working class lads, who just value nice kit?

M_B

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2011
I'm pleased you have the weights of these bikes on your web site James... as Haibike doesn't. I'm seriously interested in the 'eQ Trekking' model (or perhaps the Cross - with mudguards fitted), a bit heavier than the BH equiv's I'm looking at - and a lot more expensive, but these eQ models are seriously good looking, and well specified (even the 'Trekking' mudguards look cool!). Will just have to wait and see if I sell my Whyte 901 on Ebay first.

Do you have one available for test if I decide to up my budget? It's a long way to come down to Suffolk from the North East, but it's a seriously expensive investment so I want to be sure.

Apr 19, 2011
The Haibike seems to have generated quite a bit of excitement in this forum but I'm not altogether sure why that should be.

It's interesting, (and very welcome) that there may be a discount available for forum members on a very recently marketed product pitched on to the scene with an enormous price tag. In reality, I suspect there will be very few takers amongst forum members, simply because of the "premium" price of the product.

I do find it rather difficult to rationalise ebikes costing over 2 grand, even more so when they're closer to 3 grand than 2 but I can understand it if the technology is such that the product moves the game on to a higher level. Now I haven't ridden the bikes and still haven't seen one other than in pictures, so I'll need some convincing that the Bosch-powered system, allied to a reasonably lightweight frame really does move the game on.

The fact that Bosch power tools and lawn mowers compete at the cheap end of their respective markets with the likes of Black & Decker, TorX and so on isn't lost on me so have they made enormous advances in motor technology with their ebike engines? I've used power tools most of my adult life and I've never found Bosch very great. They may be ok for the occasional bit of DIY but for regular, heavy-duty stuff, they come up short. At least their power tools are inexpensive, making no pretence to be premium products so I shall be interested to see how their bike motors fare under heavy use.

I look forward to some user feedback in the fullness of time but I'm trying to understand how a Bosch-powered bike can be worth something of the order of 2.5 times the price of the Tonaro Bighit or Compy, both of which have been well received on this forum.

Regards,
Indalo
Hi Indalo,
Maybe you are talking about Bosch Green? I've used Bosch Blue professionally for over 20 years and found them, like Metabo and Makita, to be bullet proof.

I've not come across a 'Tonaro Bighit' or 'Compy'...a quick google shows up a pic of a bike with what appears to be a windscreen motor attached to the bottom bracket. Is that the one?

Having sold hundreds of e-bikes that retail for between 2 and 3.5 grand (predominantly Koga and Sparta and Flyer) I can assure you that there is a market for quality EU made e-bikes, and if anything the Haibike price could be higher that it is. The eQ Trekking version is only £2.2k and is fitted with SRAM Dual Drive.

Do come and try one for yourself Indalo.

Rgds,

James

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I've not come across a 'Tonaro Bighit' or 'Compy'...a quick google shows up a pic of a bike with what appears to be a windscreen motor attached to the bottom bracket. Is that the one?
Thats the one! lol Stylish or what....... (or what I think)

Apr 19, 2011
I'm pleased you have the weights of these bikes on your web site James... as Haibike doesn't. I'm seriously interested in the 'eQ Trekking' model (or perhaps the Cross - with mudguards fitted), a bit heavier than the BH equiv's I'm looking at - and a lot more expensive, but these eQ models are seriously good looking, and well specified (even the 'Trekking' mudguards look cool!). Will just have to wait and see if I sell my Whyte 901 on Ebay first.

Do you have one available for test if I decide to up my budget? It's a long way to come down to Suffolk from the North East, but it's a seriously expensive investment so I want to be sure.
Hi MB, over the last 5 years we've yet to sell an e-bike without the prospective customer first taking a good long test ride. In the past this has meant road and track only (Kogas, Spartas etc) but last week an XDuro FS Haibike customer found some rough stuff down a lane not far from our showroom. One and all are welcome to visit and test ride (Aldeburgh Town Steps perhaps?)

Rgds,

James

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
M_B you have a PM re your Whyte 901

M_B

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2011
James,

Are you going to sell the eQ 'Cross'? If so, how much? Cause I really don't need the mudguards, lights, rack and stand on the eQ 'Trekking'... and I prefer the bike in 'White'.

Apr 19, 2011
James,

Are you going to sell the eQ 'Cross'? If so, how much? Cause I really don't need the mudguards, lights, rack and stand on the eQ 'Trekking'... and I prefer the bike in 'White'.
We haven't ordered any Cross models MB. I know they've sold out 2011 production now 'cos when we tried to increase our existing order 3 weeks ago for XDuros they asked if they could buy back our pre-order and stock held here for their domestic German market. You could try a German dealer? Alternatively just get an XDuro and set rear damper to max rebound and compression setting to stiffen up the back end, then if thats not stiff enough put 250psi in the rear air spring (max is 275) to lock it up. We have all XDuro frame sizes in stock.

Rgds,
James

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Bosch unit is new with all the design and tooling costs associated with that and needing to be recovered. The motor unit in the Tonaros is over 11 year old tech from Yamaha, albeit completly sound, but with the costs long recovered.

That of course doesn't alone account for the huge price difference, but clearly the bikes are specced and aimed at quite different market points. Add to both those the price expansion due to the percentage addition method for margins and VAT and you have the difference.

If a wealthy consumer still isn't satisfied that the Haibike is dear enough, they have the option of the Flyer X-model which makes the Haibike look a bargain. Altogether a very good thing, more choice for the consumer which I can't see as grounds for criticism.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
If a wealthy consumer still isn't satisfied that the Haibike is dear enough, they have the option of the Flyer X-model which makes the Haibike look a bargain. Altogether a very good thing, more choice for the consumer which I can't see as grounds for criticism.

You'll get no argument from me on increased diversity flecc. I was simply expressing my first impression based on the hype and hysteria which seems to accompany new products and I wasn't actually criticising the bike. In fact, I like the look and the non-budget componentry of the machine and could well be tempted. I baulk at the price though!

I shall be interested to read user feedback in due course but will the bikes do things that much better than the current crop using older technology and costing half the money...or less?

Only today, I noticed another name I hadn't come across before; Kudos Cycles. They offer, apparently, a range of bikes at easy to accept prices all utilising the Bafang motor. Whether that's a good or bad thing, I don't know but their bikes look ok in the pics. Their batteries seem very reasonably priced.

I hope you're mending well flecc.

Regards,
Indalo