Haibike

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
have a look over on German Pedelec forum? Are there members guilty of "Hype and hysteria"? Various Bosch powered bikes and particularly the Haibike are being very well recieved...

Mind you the left crank falling off still seems to be a problem...One of the perils of early adoption I guess!;)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
james@justebikes.co.uk; said:
the final drive is via the chain wheel, not via an over worked 9 or 11 tooth sprocket like the Panasonic. In our Flyer days these things were fast waring parts.

James
My, "overworked" 9 tooth Panasonic drive sprocket has over 7000 miles on it and is still working fine. The battery and motor combination has proved flawless after nearly 3 years of use. This is probably because the Panasonic system has evolved over a number of years.

I'm sure that there were flaws in the Panasonic Mk1 system and I wonder what flaws the early adopters will find in the Mk1 Bosch system.

A nice looking bike but a lot of money for an unknown quantity.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I think there is a certain amount of over excitement and enthusiasm on the German forum, the product is new, its home grown and offers a true alternative to the Panasonic system. Its only natural, however, only time will tell, with v2.0 I think if it proves to be better than sliced bread ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was simply expressing my first impression based on the hype and hysteria which seems to accompany new products

Only today, I noticed another name I hadn't come across before; Kudos Cycles. They offer, apparently, a range of bikes at easy to accept prices all utilising the Bafang motor. Whether that's a good or bad thing, I don't know but their bikes look ok in the pics. Their batteries seem very reasonably priced.

I hope you're mending well flecc.
That hype etc seems to be a fundamental of modern consumer markets, probably the result of the intensive advertising we all encounter. It's impossible for that not to have an effect, most likely inculcating the impression that new is better.

The Kudos arrival does appear very attractive, simple formulaic bikes at low prices, though it will have to enjoy large quantity sales for the low cost multi-model marketing to be viable. Whether the British market is big enough yet remains to be seen.

Yes, mending well to the point of fully mended now and final medical cleared. Had an enjoyable chat with the consultant on the contrasts of yesteryear's operations and hospitalisation with today's high speed turnarounds. He was contrasting my operation, leaving the hospital half an hour later and fully back in action in 48 hours with when he started training. Then for the same thing it was commonly a week in hospital, followed by advice to go the the coast for a couple of weeks for recuperation!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sure that there were flaws in the Panasonic Mk1 system
There certainly were. Main circuit board failures, motor freewheel jamming, outboard motor bearing failures, displaced Hall sensor boards, upper unit support arm failure, switch problems. None of these were frequent enough to classify the unit as unreliable, but with no spares or support and the official solution a replacement unit at £500 plus fitting, still unacceptable.

That's what prompted me to create my support site enabling all those problems to be overcome, most by repair, two by pirating parts from old failed units.

D

Deleted member 4366

I think there is a certain amount of over excitement and enthusiasm on the German forum, the product is new, its home grown and offers a true alternative to the Panasonic system. Its only natural, however, only time will tell, with v2.0 I think if it proves to be better than sliced bread ;)
Never mind all the hype and enthusisam from Germany. I've ridden it and can say that it's miles more powerful than all the other bikes at Presteign, has really good components and rode very well. What's happened to Aldby, he rode it so should be able to confirm what I'm saying. He seems to have gone very quiet since the Presteigne show. If it meets the EU regulations, the others must have missed something, unless, of course, the one at Presteigne had been "adjusted". Assuming it's all legitimate, things have moved on. There's almost certain to be some issues that'll appear on some of the earlier batches. That's normally the price you have to pay for being one of the first, but I'm sure they'll all be rapidly sorted, so it's not a reason not to buy one. My advice is: If you're in the market for a bike in that price range don't buy anything until you've tried it, while I remain smug because my BPM kit bike only cost £450 and will climb all over the Haibike and is still comfortable enough and has enough range with one battery to do my 30 mile commute - looks crap, mind you.

Apr 19, 2011
Never mind all the hype and enthusisam from Germany. I've ridden it and can say that it's miles more powerful than all the other bikes at Presteign, has really good components and rode very well. What's happened to Aldby, he rode it so should be able to confirm what I'm saying. He seems to have gone very quiet since the Presteigne show. If it meets the EU regulations, the others must have missed something, unless, of course, the one at Presteigne had been "adjusted". Assuming it's all legitimate, things have moved on. There's almost certain to be some issues that'll appear on some of the earlier batches. That's normally the price you have to pay for being one of the first, but I'm sure they'll all be rapidly sorted, so it's not a reason not to buy one. My advice is: If you're in the market for a bike in that price range don't buy anything until you've tried it, while I remain smug because my BPM kit bike only cost £450 and will climb all over the Haibike and is still comfortable enough and has enough range with one battery to do my 30 mile commute - looks crap, mind you.
It wasn't tuned d8Vhe! I haven't had time to get at it yet :) In fact the day before it was doing a crash bang wolop loop the loop backwards 400ft down one of Cornwall's steepest grass hills... the rider Tim Smit of Eden Project is still recovering from the experience... one of "oh my god it can do it, but i cant!" He went though 5 cow pats on his way down but no bones broken (did the bike smell funny to you?)

J

Apr 19, 2011
My, "overworked" 9 tooth Panasonic drive sprocket has over 7000 miles on it and is still working fine. The battery and motor combination has proved flawless after nearly 3 years of use. This is probably because the Panasonic system has evolved over a number of years.

I'm sure that there were flaws in the Panasonic Mk1 system and I wonder what flaws the early adopters will find in the Mk1 Bosch system.

A nice looking bike but a lot of money for an unknown quantity.
You're right to pull me up on that comment Tilson, its easy to change the drive wheel and inexpensive, my poorly made point was that the Bosch unit drives through the same large sprocket as you legs, not a small auxiliary sprocket.

James

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What's happened to Aldby, he rode it so should be able to confirm what I'm saying. He seems to have gone very quiet since the Presteigne show.
I've no need for confirmation d8veh, I trust what you say. It's more a question if this is what the consumer wants.

In a sense this battle has been fought before, a decade ago. From 1999 to 2001 the Yamaha, using the powerful bevel drive that's now on the Tonaros posted about elsewhere, reigned supreme, wiping the floor with Giant's original bevel drive Lafree.

So Giant went back to the drawing board and brought out the Panasonic powered Lafree using the original lower powered unit, and it was that less powerful bike the consumer preferred, leading to Yamaha withdrawing from the UK market two years later, and some while later from the continental one as well.

After a period of sulking, Yamaha have made a near exact copy of the Panasonic unit to re-enter the market. However, they've chosen to make it deliver power all the way to 15 mph with a rapid cutoff like the Bosch. The result is such poor take-up that only the Hungarian bike manufacturer Gepida have adopted it.

You can see from this where my doubts are coming from.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
"I've no need for confirmation d8veh, I trust what you say. It's more a question if this is what the consumer wants." - Flecc

I agree with this as power and acceleration were only a small part of my consideration when I bought my bike. I liked the stealthiness of the cytronex but eventually went for a Panasonic powered bike mainly for its superb reliability record and when parting with £2k I had to be confident that the bike would be durable and long lasting.

In fact the higher powered Panasonic units available now (power x 2) don't appeal to me as x 1.5 is plenty for my needs as I need a long lasting battery for my days out and find the 0.5 setting perfect when cycling with my non-powered friends.

I'm not knocking these bikes (the more choice the better) and I'm sure they'd be terrific fun off road but they certainly won't appeal to everyone.

Apr 19, 2011
Hello Folks,
The first of our eQ Trekking Haibikes has just arrived. Looks great, hope to have time for a spin over the weekend but am now addicted to FS version, so not sure I'm going to like it:confused:

We are delivering 5 Haibike FS and 2 Spartas to customers in the London and Slough areas this Sunday. If anyone would like one this weekend please let me know before 5pm.

Anyone know how i post a photo here?
Rgds,
James:

Last edited:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Hi James. Go Advanced/Manage Photos ... Once uploaded then use the drop down menu in the tool bar to insert the code into your text - I normal put it on a new line.

Note. THe limit it 90k or so - you may need to resize your photo.. There is an excellent free tool that does this... IRFANVIEW

D

Deleted member 4366

A better way to deal with photos is to make a photobucket (or similar) account, upload the photos there, then you can copy and paste the img link (on the rhs) and we'll see the photo in it's full glory. The ones that I shrunk to upload here looked terrible.

Apr 19, 2011
Tim Smit tumbles off a Haibike and ends up face down in fresh cow pats!

Thanks for instruction on how to upload. Can videos be uploaded? ... I have some funny footage of Tim Smit (Eden Project) tumbling off Haibike FS and down a steep - and i mean almost too steep to walk up - through multiple cow pats on his farm in Cornwall last Saturday.

James

Apr 19, 2011
We had a small van John (9 bikes in an SWB Transit anyone?!)

The Haibike Trekking is as it says - a trekking bike - good on rough and smooth roads with lights, full mudguards, 50nm Bosch motor, etc. Customers are delighted with them but I personally would go for a Koga or Sparta's smooth silent power if I was shopping for a pure'ish road e-bike, plus I'm now addicted to the Amsterdamer straight back riding position. But I live in flat Suffolk; for those living in Cornwall or planning a Trans-Alp exploration the Bosh drive with SRAM Dual drive 27 speed is the weapon of choice without a doubt.

Re your wet bum... eTim has posted some fine photos http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/8658-haibike-xduro-fs-first-impressions.html#post108835 showing his Haibikes with clip on rear mudguards. I've taken the hint and now stock similar.

Mad busy at the moment but will get videos/pics up soon.

Rgds,

James

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2011
Haibike Factory Tour - the nuts, bolts and people behind their game changing e-bike.

I'm a fool. Time and again I convince myself that a simple short European business trip can be done in a day. Nuremberg airport as the sun rises finds me trying to program a BMW's satnav in German on 4 hrs sleep, 20 mins later I'm frog marching a rental rep back up the 7 floors to the thing so she can make it speak English. She's German, right? but still it takes her another 20 minutes to plumb the depths of this year's offering from the wagon maker and get it to obey. (Note to those clever e-bike designers: do not look to the auto industry for techno inspiration).

I'm now running late. But after crawling North out of town find something that offers redemption: I'm doing 90 and whoooosh - a granny flashes past, and then a priest. Over the years I've traveled around a bit and have thrown my lot in at Vietnamese roundabouts and Roman traffic lights - poker games both - but this was quite different; here the pedal on the right is not a throttle, its a switch. And when you get on a motorway you press it. An hour and something later at the Haibike factory the satnav tells me I've averaged 146 mph. These are mirror-smooth roads and everybody using them is alert and courteous. On the M25 or A14 you'd be airborne most of the time from the bumps or in A&E 'cos a truck doing 56 pulled out without notice to pass a truck doing almost 56. The EU Commission set e-bike limits at 25 kmh (with a 10% margin which is why most don't power down 'till 27.5 or there abouts) 'cos they want to compare fatal and serious accident rates with data from manual bikes. Sensible. For the record I'm happy with c.16 mph - any more and this care-free easy & tranquil form of transport turns into something needing a crash helmet.

Just looked at the clock. So this "Haibike Factory Tour report" is now part 1 of 2. Picking up Haibikes, Kogas & Spartas from TimeOut at 9am (their thoughts on the things went to press today - two pages of everyday user experience they say!) - and delivering them to Wall St. Journal at 10.

Go e-bikes! and all that love them,

james

Last edited: