Has anyone heard of or tried Toseven mid drive?

elinx

Pedelecer
May 2, 2023
Tongsheng has TSDZ3 but what happens to TSDZ4, 5, 6? were they in the pipeline when the designer left for toseven? I suppose TSDZ8 is the one after seven. They all have short lives by the look of it. My guess is the TSDZ2B Turbo (it's the name that Aikema/Tongsheng use now) is about the same as BBS02B with a torque sensor.
It isn't clear for me why the productcatalog from Aikema is different from Tongsheng
A list of all Tongsheng middrives
Tsdz2 and Tsdz3 are equal, but BB vs frame mount.
Tsdz4, Tsdz7 and Tsdz9 are missing in the row, if the Tsdz8 is the right name.
It could be that these numbers were reserved for follow ups in the first place.
Also it could be that only Aikema uses the name Tsdz2b TURBO because of well known Tsdz2
But this are all assumptions ofcourse.

I think the Tsdz8 (or Tsdz2b turbo) indeed must compeed with BBS02b or maybe BBSHD, like ToSeven DM01 does too.
So it should have a bigger/heavier motor inside and better heatdissipation.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Tongsheng (tsbicycle.net) is much more low key, it's pretty much Aikema now. Even the same TS rep changes their tone, becoming more 'corporate' and their messages contain Aikema this, Aikema that. In the past, my rep was easier going, I did not get charged for most of the spares except for resale, now they put up the price of spares. It took a long time to get a (free) tool for my Aikema 85SX, that why I am not so keen dealing with Aikema.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tszd4 /5/5a/6 &10 are oem mid motors they need a special frame to sit in.

elinx

Pedelecer
May 2, 2023
Tszd4 /5/5a/6 &10 are oem mid motors they need a special frame to sit in.
The discussion was all about the number logic of Tongsheng, with missing numbers.
I don't see the Tsdz4, but it could be that this motor isn't produced anymore and is removed earlier.
Only Tsdz2x is BB mount and now Tsdz8/TsdzbTurbo too.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Reactions: Woosh

steveoshima

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 21, 2023
Hi all, just joined the tread. Finished reading all 31 pages so far. Shame about the bickering. Please less of this, it makes us UK lads look bad, we are not all like this.

I have installed the TSDZ2B on two bikes now. Largely impressed with it for the price. Had a play around with the internals. Such a cool invention.
The To7 kit interests me, however, it looks like it is in its infancy, so we need to give it more time in public use just like the TSDZ2 had.

To summarise it would seem these are the outstanding concerns at least from this forum:
- Firmware needs improving due to comments about torque sensing not being well implemented, correct me if I'm wrong.
- Distribution of the kit and parts seems to not be widely available, especially from the main/known distributors.
- Hardware breakdown seems a bit vague, especially for the hardcore in this group. This can only be expected as there would be some IP issues if all was to be exposed on a public forum.

@alexfnoble Where best to purchase from? I would be interested to do a side-by-side review.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
- Hardware breakdown seems a bit vague, especially for the hardcore in this group. This can only be expected as there would be some IP issues if all was to be exposed on a public forum.
We know how to service the TSDZ2 and 'B' revision outside warranty thanks to the YT videos. We need to see how in practice the DM01 and DM02 can be serviced and where their weaknesses are. If there are any issues with IP, I expect Tongsheng/Aikema lawyers would deal with them, not the end users.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

I have no experience with Pswpower though. Their reviews on Trust pilot are quite poor.
PSWPower reviews are bad, mainly because people buy catalogue items without understanding how to assemble them and what can go with what. It's like when I was selling surplus freewheels on Ebay. I got bad feedback from a guy that said the freewheels were no good because they didn't change gear properly (chattering). I asked him if he had adjusted his gears after fitting, like you're supposed to. He said that there was no point because his expert mate told him it was a bad quality freewheel, and that was the reason for the chattering. Selling ebike stuff to a guy like that must be a nightmare and why UK kit sellers have to supply very standard easy to fit kits instead of the nicer and more varied stuff that we like.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
why UK kit sellers have to supply very standard easy to fit kits instead of the nicer and more varied stuff that we like.
easy to fit is in itself a nice quality to have.
If people can't solder, is there any point to tell them to get their kits from the likes of PSWPower who are a wholesaler. The wires will inevitably be left too long and become a hazard, the motor does not have suitable RPM, battery made with unkown cells etc

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
PSWPower reviews are bad, mainly because people buy catalogue items without understanding how to assemble them and what can go with what.
There are very few reviews on Trustpilot. People are complaining of problems with warranty and faulty motors. I find it worrying, but I think I will take a risk and order kit from them as they have motor I want and price is good.

Did you buy anything from them?

Lokz

Pedelecer
May 31, 2023
PSWPower is not recommended place to buy Toseven motors, if there are any that is an old stock with older firmware.
Currently they are working on finding EU and UK distributors.
Follow "High Voltage" Discord channel to find out more about motors and ordering.
Alex is present over there and he was flamed out here so I do not expect him to post updates here after that.
Also, search Youtube for DM01 and DM02, you will find "High voltage" video reviews he published till now.

Lokz

Pedelecer
May 31, 2023
Currently my eye is on Toseven/DM02/500w. I follow updates on the Discord. I know you can buy from the manufacturer directly, or contact Alex ( Olekz on the Discord) directly for the order.
I do not know about TSDZ2/TSDZ2B, i gave up thinking about that because it well known flaws and Bafang is not interesting to me because it lack torque sensing on DIY motors.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth

Lokz

Pedelecer
May 31, 2023
Ah, I saw that one. Besides that video there is no info about it anywhere. If you want something more powerful and more expensive than TSDZ2B or DM02 - DM01 is the only thing on the market with torque sensing. Or you can go CYC motor route, but that is for double or triple price.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Aikema / Tongsheng have started to ship their TSDZ2B Turbo. It looks like the DM01/BBS02. I have ordered some stock and will get them here in October. The price is about the same as Bafang BBS02 but with torque sensor and optional throttle. I am not bothered about whether their Turbo can take 750W, I just want the solidity.

Last edited: