has anyone switched to a road bike after using the elecs?

yusstay

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2010
Angus
I've been using the wisper for almost a year now and feel a lot fitter, I've quit smoking. I pedal my 28 miles per day(which i couldnt at the start) and even stand and pedal up the steep hills. I turn off the engine once i get momentum now and just go as hard as i can(even though the wisper is a tank without assist).

So I've now ordered a cube attempt for the summer but still gonna enjoy the wisper on those very windy days to commute. Im wondering if anyone can share how they got on going back to non assisted cycling after the pedelecs?

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I rode my 15 mile commute for a week on my Cannondale T2000 tourer but it took about 20 mins longer per day and I found it annoying having to ride up the hills at 5 mph and work so hard. I have a Cytronex 180w assist with no throttle. If you find the same I would advise going for a similar low power assist. I have suggested to Cytronex that they should extend their range and down size. Be interesting to see if their new kits include smaller and lighter options.

eclectic_bike

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
I use electric and non-electric as the need or mood takes me. Generally, I use the electric for work commutes, where speed and arriving fresh is important, or where I have big loads to carry, but use the non-electric for other rides. I simply see them as different modes of transport to be used as needed.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
My commute is 7 miles each way and I no longer use electric assist at all!

After a break of something like 12 years I got back into cycling nearly 2 years ago when I discovered the Cytronex 7.3fx. I rode that to and from work for nearly a year and then I sold it and switched to my DIY electric Brompton.

I was finding over time I was gradually using the motor less and less until eventually it was only being used on the steeper hills. I recently bought a new Trek 7.3fx bike with the intention of fitting a motor. Having riden it (without the motor) I was really surprised at how easy it is to ride - even up the steeper hills so I've decided not to bother fitting the motor at all for now.

I concluded that the only reason I would need a motor on my bike would be because there would be a motor fitted! (ie. the extra weight and drag makes it just that little too hard to pedal unassisted).

I've now been riding without a motor for about 6 weeks and am feeling fitter and fitter. There's no question though, without the use of the motor in the first place there's no way I would have built to this level of fittness as easily. I'm sure that without it I would have found too many reasons not to cycle which would have ultimately meant the bike would have stayed at home and I would have eventually given up. Of course my journey is that little bit slower - (I average approx 12.5mph instead of 15mph) but it doesn't make too much difference and it's great not having to fiddle with batteries & chargers etc. I've also lost nearly 2 stone in weight in the last 2 years.

gerryscott

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2010
I've had an electric bike for nearly a year now,but there was a good deal at chainreactions 6 months ago for a road bike-cube central 2010 model reduced from £1000 to £450, so I could not resist the temptation.It is a great bike, and the weight is only 12kg.I now alternate on a daily basis between electric and non electric bike, although I must admit know matter how good a road bike is, I miss that little bit of assistance on the long climbs.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I concluded that the only reason I would need a motor on my bike would be because there would be a motor fitted! (ie. the extra weight and drag makes it just that little too hard to pedal unassisted).

I've now been riding without a motor for about 6 weeks and am feeling fitter and fitter. There's no question though, without the use of the motor in the first place there's no way I would have built to this level of fittness as easily. I'm sure that without it I would have found too many reasons not to cycle which would have ultimately meant the bike would have stayed at home and I would have eventually given up. Of course my journey is that little bit slower - (I average approx 12.5mph instead of 15mph) but it doesn't make too much difference and it's great not having to fiddle with batteries & chargers etc. I've also lost nearly 2 stone in weight in the last 2 years.
Two stones! I wish I could lose that too.

It's nice to hear a story with a happy ending but I'm surprised to read your comment about the extra weight and drag due to the motor. I'm presuming here that you had a Tongxin front hub motor on the Trek which, if I understand what others have reported, has very low drag. As you probably know, there was a recent thread on the very subject of motor drag which got one or two people quite animated. I ride with the aid of a Panasonic crank-driven motor and if there is any drag involved, I have never been aware of it and I thought the bikes used by Cytronex were better than many other hub-driven bikes in that regard.

It's a very subjective thing, I suppose, judging from some of the postings I've read and of course, I might be quite wrong anyway; you may well have been using a different motor on your Trek.

Anyway Pedalo, well done on improving your fitness and losing two stones in body weight. I guess I need to try harder!

Regards,
Indalo

Marchant

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Bath, UK
As eclectic-bike said earlier, ebikes and traditional cycles are different forms of transport. My 7 mile hilly commute on a trunk road with heavy traffic is a perfect ride for an ebike and in fact I don't think I would have considered cycling it on a traditional bike before buying the Oxygen. However, my fitness has improved to the point where I have in fact done it a few times on my roadie and really enjoyed it. But on the ebike I can wear a suit & tie and still arrive fresh without the palaver of showering & changing. On the other hand for cycling around town (Bath) making multiple stops, the ebike is simply too heavy, ponderous and ungainly to lug up to bike staples and the like, so I would always use my normal bike. Iron horses for courses. Oh, and tomorrow I'm doing a 60 mile round trip charity ride for which the Oxygen would be (a) cheating and (b) not (quite) have the range, so it's the trad bike for me....

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Of course my journey is that little bit slower - (I average approx 12.5mph instead of 15mph) but it doesn't make too much difference and it's great not having to fiddle with batteries & chargers etc. I've also lost nearly 2 stone in weight in the last 2 years.
12.5mph. Its great to hear an honest speed claim. I am surrounded by guys at work that claim 18-20mph.

I have riden my Moulton into work a few times (I usually always go out in the evening for a 3 mile ride on it) and got very excited at the beginning of the summer when I did. My average speed was about the same as yours. When I get up in the morning and its dull or there is wind, the temptation however is to always hop on my Brompton. In these summer months I really need to ride my Moulton more often to work.

Regards

Jerry

eclectic_bike

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
12.5mph. Its great to hear an honest speed claim. I am surrounded by guys at work that claim 18-20mph.
There is a culture in this country of seeing bikes as racing machines rather then transport; sort of like Jeremy Clarksons in lycra. I usual smile and let them get on with it.:D

alexk-il

Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2011
Northern Ireland
I recently started to cycle to work. Considering myself to be an "old fart" I wanted to have some electrical assistance to push me up hills. So I decided to go with a "Cytronex" style assistance (nano, Cytronex or any other Toxing based hub). I even ordered the Claud Butler Urban 500 (£250) which is very similar to one of the Cytronex models.

Here comes the twist - the bike shop messed the delivery and I ended up cycling a friend's 10 year old heavy mountain bike for 6 weeks. As a reward, I got more fit, more confident on the road. When the new bike finally arrived, the ride become so enjoyable that I am not sure anymore if I really want to electrify it. In fact, I feel that 17 minutes of cycling home is not enough for me and I am currently looking for more challenging routes to get home.

Having said that I do understand that cycling for 20-30 miles each way would change my mind.

Anyway, the following is the summary of my typical route home:

Total Distance: 5.03 km (3.1 mi)
Total Time: 17:16
Moving Time: 16:15
Average Moving Speed: 18.57 km/h (11.5 mi/h)
Max Speed: 36.94 km/h (23.0 mi/h)
Max Grade: 6.5 %
Min Grade: -6.5 %

Cheers
Alex

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As you probably know, there was a recent thread on the very subject of motor drag which got one or two people quite animated.
Indeed, drag is a four letter word which can cause serious offence.

Best to refer to "impaired cycling quality". ;)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
In London I find the faster I ride the more trouble I have with cars.....2 very near misses Wednesday:(

I have been riding on assist for 2.5 years, but with lighter/better bike I am experimenting with no assistance...The DaaHub motor is 2.5 kg so not to bad...some can be double that.

Last edited:

alexk-il

Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2011
Northern Ireland
There is a culture in this country of seeing bikes as racing machines rather then transport; sort of like Jeremy Clarksons in lycra. I usual smile and let them get on with it.:D
Absolutely!!! I was basically laughed at work when I discussed with colleagues my plans to start cycling to work Holland style - easy, relaxed cycling, casual clothing.

However, there is another reason (at least in Belfast) for cycling fast on public roads. Drivers here are easily upset by slow cyclists, so maintaining a reasonable speed it is simply the matter of survival.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Two stones! I wish I could lose that too.

It's nice to hear a story with a happy ending but I'm surprised to read your comment about the extra weight and drag due to the motor. I'm presuming here that you had a Tongxin front hub motor on the Trek which, if I understand what others have reported, has very low drag. As you probably know, there was a recent thread on the very subject of motor drag which got one or two people quite animated. I ride with the aid of a Panasonic crank-driven motor and if there is any drag involved, I have never been aware of it and I thought the bikes used by Cytronex were better than many other hub-driven bikes in that regard.

It's a very subjective thing, I suppose, judging from some of the postings I've read and of course, I might be quite wrong anyway; you may well have been using a different motor on your Trek.

Anyway Pedalo, well done on improving your fitness and losing two stones in body weight. I guess I need to try harder!

Regards,
Indalo
Yes, I was able to ride the electric bike fitted with a Tongxin without using the motor and I'm sure that's probably still one of the best options for those that want a motor with minimal drag - but even then it did surprise me how much easier the new bike was without the motor and added weight of batteries & wiring etc.

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
Ive always maintained ebikes saved my life. I now ride road and mountain but would never have been bitten by the bug if id not got my ezee torq on cycle to work. after moving over to a kalkhoff agattu i finally took the plunge a purchased a felt hybrid. that lasted only a few months before a 'proper' road bike.

i really enjoy sportives and going hell for leather to set a time but on a standard weekend ride i just tootle along and enjoy the countryside. i would say though that once fitness reaches a certain level its pretty easy to maintain high speeds on a road bike. the ultra stiff bikes these days turn every bit of your efforts into forward drive.

having had an ebike or three also allowed me one other benefit. when it came to shelling out £2k on a road bike it was only a bit more expensive than i was used to paying for my bike. I also got good money for my ebikes.

ill grant you that most road cyclists are quite anti ebike and think they are gods gift. i cant share that, without ebikes id still be rotting in a chair looking forward to an early grave.

i have been overtaken on climbs by ebikes but it doesnt harm my ego, and anyway, ill catch you on the way down the other side ;)

we all worship at the temple of velo, we just do it in slightly different ways :)

To the OP, i hope you enjoy your new purchase. be prepared to spend lots more of your hard earned on upgrades and bling lol

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
what does a tongxin motor weigh?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I think it is also 2.5kg - sort of makes sense being the same size as the dapush if not as robust. I must admit I thought it would weigh less but there you go. One of mine weighs 3.17kg built into a wheel.

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
My 80mm Tongxins are nearer 2.0kg

2.07kg shown on scales in Dan's Tongxin/Bafang build thread here

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

yusstay

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2010
Angus
Interesting replies. Alex, what did you use to get the data charts?

Oh Ive already spent loads on the bling and upgrades for my wisper and clothes because of my commuting... even used spds. It was the speed increases i was getting over the year that made me want to go non assist.

I'm loving the stories of everyones experiences though... so thanks!

Last edited:

peasjam

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
I've enjoyed cycling from when I was a kid, did the coast-to-coast ride when I was 15 and commuted every day rain-or-shine when I lived nearer work. I've always enjoyed cycling even if it's just a commute to work.

Then I moved out of Cambridge and the commute distance was a bit far to commit to cycling every day but I missed cycling to work and wanted to get in/out without relying on petrol. So for me the e-bike kit I'm running is simply to make the trip by bike sustainable in the long term by making it comparable (in time) to commuting by car. I'm fit enough to do the 19 mile round trip unpowered, but the reality is it takes me 15 mins longer than by car so I know I'll not be able to resist driving most of the time. It's also about saving £8+ per day in petrol my rx7 consumes doing the two short trips to/from my offic.

If I was cycling for the pure enjoyment of it I'd put my original front wheel back on and go leg power only either for on or off-road cycling. For me the e-bike is purely a commuting tool, for leisure I'd go none-powered.