has d8veh left this time for good?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Did he post on the Brexit thread?
He did a couple of times quite late in it.

What I could never understand was why he and other objectors posted objections about it in the e-biking forums, something the Brexit thread contributors never did.

That's as irrational as deliberately eating a disliked food.

And leaving Pedelecs over it is even more unnecessary since Admin provided a way for any member to exclude any particular thread from view or exclude any particular member's posts from view. It reveals the real reason, censorship, the attitude "I don't like it so no-one else can have it".

Don't like the Brexit thread? Go to the Forums dropdown menu, select "Threads you ignore" and make the entry to exclude it from your view. Simple.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I take the even simpler approach, I just ignore it.

I will miss D8veh, I've learned a lot from him and he helped me with my builds, even though his spelling/typo's were sometimes in need of some expert translation.:)

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: flecc and chris_n

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why did he leave?
We don't know this time, the last couple of times he left he said why. However, it usually follows a spat with another member and his last post this time was yet another dispute occasion.

It has to be acknowledged that he is often very forthright with others but hates them being as forthright with him.

We are all equals in here and if we give it, we have to be able to take it.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
This is at least the third dummy spitting by d8 since I've been on here.

It does look like it's permanent this time.

I cannot bring myself to beg any member to return, although as a general point the more active members we have the better.

The mechanics of his departure is (mildly) interesting.

'Deleted member' and a number is to comply with the right to be forgotten under the recent data legislation changes.

Although in the case the deleted member's posts when quoted by others stil show his forum name.

Wouldn't bother me, if I ever leave I shall just stop posting.

I might become a deleted member if Helen gives me the push.

No plans for either to happen at the moment, but I suppose one never knows what's around the corner.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I might become a deleted member if Helen gives me the push.

No plans for either to happen at the moment, but I suppose one never knows what's around the corner.
Highly doubtful Rob, I've only ever known two expelled by Admin and that was after previous warnings.

The last three departures with membership deleted were each specifically requested by the ex members following a tantrum, these exclusions were not wanted by admin.

• Agree
Reactions: HelenJ

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is at least the third dummy spitting by d8 since I've been on here.
This is the fourth occasion:

-----------------------------------------------------
Joined October 2010
Left May 2011 . . . . . . . . . . 6 months . . . . . Rant at flecc
returned August 2011
left again April 2012 . . . . . . 8 months . . . . .Rant at Eddieo
returned July 2012
Left again May 2016 . . . 3 yrs 11 months . . General rant about forum
Date returned not recorded
Left again 25th May 2018 . . . . Reason not known but dispute in progress
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .with another member.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Highly doubtful Rob, I've only ever known two expelled by Admin and that was after previous warnings.

The last three departures with membership deleted were each specifically requested by the ex members following a tantrum, these exclusions were not wanted by admin.
I've only been an active member of three or four forums, but each had its own character and way of doing things in terms of discipline.

Pedelecs is the most laid back and seems to largely look after itself - the dream of forum owners.

Other places have all manner of running feuds, alliances and cliques, some disputes running over eight or 10 years.

I don't detect that on here, possibly because there aren't as many members with a long posting history.

As has been observed in the past, many new members post on here for a while, get a bike (or not), get it sorted, then stop posting.

Which doesn't help grow numbers, but probably does help in terms of discipline.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't detect that on here, possibly because there aren't as many members with a long posting history.

As has been observed in the past, many new members post on here for a while, get a bike (or not), get it sorted, then stop posting.

Which doesn't help grow numbers, but probably does help in terms of discipline.
While that is also true Rob, new members can also be difficult. Of those last three self requested exclusions, two were new members who had only been in a very short while. Both wanted changes in the forum to suit them and got the hump when they realised it wasn't going to happen.

That again I cannot understand. I wouldn't dream of entering a forum as a new member and almost immediately want changes. If it didn't suit at all I'd leave, otherwise I'd stay and maybe after long experience in there politely suggest change, but accept and respect the opinions of Admin and other members.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Well i have only just learned how to delete a post i made in error. I had to report the post and wait a day or so for an admin to carry out my request. Can this be right? As for deleting my account, how does one go about that?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As for deleting my account, how does one go about that?
If you go to one of Administrator HelenJ's posts and click on her name you're shown options, including "Start a conversation". If you then click that you will see this message page Then use that to send her your message.

Hopefully this was just an inquiry and you are not intending to leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marwood Hill

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well i have only just learned how to delete a post i made in error. I had to report the post and wait a day or so for an admin to carry out my request. Can this be right?
It's possible to delete any post you've made during the 24 hours after making the post, those showing both Edit and Delete options. So there's plenty of time to make changes, but after that the options disappear.

Deletions can cause problems of course, since they make answers to and quotations of the removed post appear to have no basis.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
It's possible to delete any post you've made during the 24 hours after making the post, those showing both Edit and Delete options. So there's plenty of time to make changes, but after that the options disappear.
This is why i would like to see this site as a Facebook Group. A place where you can freely edit and delete. And of course, in most cases, you can actually see the poster rather than some strange i.d’s and profile pics.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
This is why i would like to see this site as a Facebook Group. A place where you can freely edit and delete. And of course, in most cases, you can actually see the poster rather than some strange i.d’s and profile pics.
Problem is compared to FB is that this forum is searchable - so any posts, useful or otherwise, are findable so serving as a valuable library.